Monday's dinner Nov 16 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
I made hamburger-onion gravy served on mashed potatoes. Finally found something that broccoli goes good with, I think. Been about ready to give up on those little trees.

Beef onion ragu from ATK, includes the obvious plus pancetta, salami, carrot, celery, white wine, pecorino romano.

37240-albums1008-picture6318.jpg

Dessert was salted carmel apple strudel. Bought the filo and the ice cream.
37240-albums1008-picture6317.jpg

I made a long cooked tomato sauce with pork neck bones for flavor. We served that over chicken and prosciutto ravioli. Steamed string beans were the dark green veggie of the day.

I baked some really nice MahiMahi fish (Trader Joe's) topped with herb butter fresh from the garden..chives/ parsley/thyme/lemon zest. SC had his served over tri colored rice, and mine was on a bed of wilted fresh spinach. Glorified salads for both of us.

Tri-colored rice? Is that white, brown and wild, or something else?

And I'm sure you've described your glorified salad before, but can you remind me what that means?

They both sound interesting :)

Last edited:
+1 for the salad here too, please!

I slow-cookered a chunk of pork loin with sauerkraut, onions, and a bit of beer. Served that over mashed potatoes. We also had pickled beets and homemade apple sauce. I made the sauce from the apples in the crisper that were NOT living up to that fridge drawer's name. ;)

I have an idea that Kayelle's 'glorified' salad means about the same as what I call a 'loaded up' salad. Lots of goodies other than just lettuce and tomato. ;)

This evening's dinner here was a veggie omelet. Chopped and sautéed asparagus, ham, red and green bells, onion, and the last of the parsley. Topped with a bit of cheddar, and a slice of toasted rye on the side.

I have an idea that Kayelle's 'glorified' salad means about the same as what I call a 'loaded up' salad. Lots of goodies other than just lettuce and tomato. ;)...
In our house we call that...a salad. :LOL: We've always had an assortment of things in our salads. Our former neighbor, however, liked what his wife referred to as a "Honeymoon" salad - lettuce alone. :mrgreen:

Thanks for asking ladies..

When I say "glorified salads" they are made by SousChef. For some reason I hate to make dinner salads. You guys guessed right, they have all the usual suspects and odds and ends of various combo's but the one constant is they all must have pickled beets..always.
When I refer to tri colored rice, it's this remarkable yummy stuff that's a pantry staple here. I usually add some dried mushrooms to the mix.
img_1444108_0_8aa7a5768f0ae6e24a202b1750f6ddef.jpg

"Glorified" salad sounds so much better than what we call ours sometimes: garbage salads. However, NO garbage was used in the making of those salads.

I see a trip to TJ's in my future. :yum:

It seems so unfair! I have two Trader Joe's within 15 miles.

I did see some gourmet rice blends in the supermarket, you might take a look.

I haven't a clue where one would find black barley and Daikon radish seeds to make your own blend but it's a wonderful combo with the brown rice. The texture is what makes it remarkable. There are no flavorings in the bag.

Last edited:
The ones in our area are 17.4 and 21.5 miles away, but traffic is horrendous and the "closer" one requires a toll of $3+, so I don't get out there much. Maybe I could consider it a day trip and have lunch out there, too ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom