Monday's Dinner Thread 11/1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Dinner Renovated for Monday ...

Pork , Sunday Lefties 11-1-21.jpg

Tonight is a "choose your own adventure" meal. While we have leftover pork chop and mashed potatoes, and also lots of last night's bean soup, I have been jonesing for a grilled cheese sandwich on my homemade bread. I couldn't decide between tomato or bread-and-butter pickles, so I cut the sandwich in half and had both!
IMG_20211101_183729817_HDR.jpg

I hope I'm not required to take a pic. I've never taken pics of food. What I had was typical southern minus the corn bread. I had turnip and mustard greens mixed together because my neighbor who sewed them mixed the seeds together by accident. I simmered them down with a smoked turkey neck minced garlic and onions plus baby taters to make a complete meal for one.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not required to take a pic. I've never taken pics of food. What I had was typical southern minus the corn bread. I had turnip and mustard greens mixed together because my neighbor who sewed them mixed the seeds together by accident. I simmered them down with a smoked turkey neck minced garlic and onions plus baby taters to make a complete meal for one.
No, not at. It's just for fun [emoji2]

Today was soup weather, and last night, when I put all that lemongrass in the freezer, I pulled out a pound of Italian sausage. I had been thinking of a recipe I used to make - a White Pizza, that I made up many years ago, to duplicate a dish I had in Pizzeria Uno - and I was telling someone about how I made it. I wasn't going to make a pizza, but maybe a soup, with similar ingredients, so here's what I did.

I love barley with mushrooms in soup, so I used up the pound of mushrooms I had, and the sausage I just thawed. But first, I cooked an onion in some olive oil, adding 8 cloves of garlic, and a tb each rosemary and sage, all minced together plus a tb of white miso, all cooked for about 2 minutes. Then, 7 c of water, and a cup of pearl barley I added, and brought to a boil. Adjusted the salt with soy sauce, then I set it to 20 minutes manual pressure cook, then let it release naturally. Meanwhile, I cut up the mushrooms, and cooked those and the sausage. I added this to the cooked barley, and simmered 10 more minutes, and it was done.
Browned mushrooms, for a sausage barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sausage, cooked for the soup, to combine with the mushrooms. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sausage and mushrooms, ready to go into the soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sausage mushroom barley soup, after adding the sausage and mushroom mix, ready to simmer 10 more minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished soup, with a little pecorino on top. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We had more of the Indian resto leftovers and they aren't all used up. Had it with some of our brown basmati rice and a salad.

A great breakfast out and our normal daytime snacks had us not hungry @ suppertime.

To make sure we had something in our tummies, I made a package of ramen noodles to share.

Ross

I totally spaced out the picture. DH commented on that half way thru the meal. Oh, well. It was a yummy dinner. I made Taco Salads. I use some of those tortilla shell makers to bake the tortillas. Not very traditional, but no oil needed. Then I fill them up, starting with homemade fat-free "refried" beans, next comes a layer of rice-cooker Spanish rice, then chicken that I cook with spices and salsa, we had homegrown lettuce, chopped tomatoes, topped with salsa, sour cream, guac and shredded cheddar. Yum!!!

I totally spaced out the picture. DH commented on that half way thru the meal. Oh, well. It was a yummy dinner. I made Taco Salads. I use some of those tortilla shell makers to bake the tortillas. Not very traditional, but no oil needed. Then I fill them up, starting with homemade fat-free "refried" beans, next comes a layer of rice-cooker Spanish rice, then chicken that I cook with spices and salsa, we had homegrown lettuce, chopped tomatoes, topped with salsa, sour cream, guac and shredded cheddar. Yum!!!

That sounds yummy, but it sounds more like tacos to me than like a taco salad.

We had sticky rice with Kung Pao, and orange chickee, from the frozen food section, along wit canned green beans. Nothing fancy, but tasted good and filled the belly. I'll be making white lasagna for Thursday's dinner.

Don't yet know what's being made for Wednesday's dinner, something with chicken.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom