Monday's Dinner Thread 11/8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom Yum like veg and rice, Butternut squash soup (sage mmm), toasted ww sprouted bread.

I made a quick version of labskovs, well, quicker than the classic version. I got a Danish recipe called "Hurtig labskovs". It was food. It was pretty good, but nothing to write home about. I may or may not make it again. I served it with dark rye (Scandinavian style) and butter and rødkål (Danish red cabbage), though it should have been pickled beets. I just don't have any at the moment. I cut up some chives from the garden and harvested the rest of them.

Not a huge difference between our plates (actually bowls). Here's mine.

Hurtig labskovs, Linda's plate.jpg

And here's Stirling's.

Hurtig labskovs, Stirling's plate.jpg

Last night's dinner:
Hot dog coins with onion and tomato sauce over small pasta shells.

hot_dogs_tomato_110821_IMG_8889.jpg

DH bought some andouille sausage by mistake, so I used it to make shrimp and sausage and grits last night. It turned out pretty well.

I actually used polenta, since that's what I had. Is there a difference between grits and polenta? Lol
20211108_194047.jpg

I grabbed a bag of Oven Beef & Veggies stew from the freezer, heated that up and made a Focaccia from the GF Chebe mix. It was very good. (Found that mix when DH had to be GF for a while.)

IMG_5793 (2).jpg

I'd been thinking about making Polenta with Garlic Shrimp atop...
I went looking and found this:

View attachment 49792
(from Bob's site)

:huh:
I'm confused now.
Does it say if it is nixtamalized? If it doesn't say, then see if there is potassium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide in the ingredient list. If it says it is nixtamalized or that there is one of those hydroxides, then it is definitely hominy, so grits. I imagine that grits can usually be substituted for polenta, even if the flavour and texture will be slightly different.

Back
Top Bottom