Monday's dinner's fair of face. 7/29/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of which, are we on for next Wednesday?
Next Danish Club lunch isn't until August 14. It's the 2nd Wednesday of the month. But, I sure hope you can make it.

Any interest in going to the Swedish Crayfish fest? They had it in September last year. I've never gone, but would like to.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I had a rare rib eye steak cooked in the Sous Vide, and twice baked potato.

My appetizer was about 4 oz. of tuna sashimi. It was fun cutting off pieces as the main piece thawed, I like my sashimi just a bit icy and it tasted great! I pay $20/lb. for sushi grade flash frozen chicken so my DIY sashimi is a heck of a lot less expensive than that served in a restaurant. Be nice to me and I'll share my sashimi recipe. LOLOLOLOL! ;)

I'm learning more about the Sous Vide even though I've cooked only steaks so far, and haven't even added anything to the bag before cooking, just using SV ready pre-packaged cryovac steaks so far.

But what I learned is that they mean what they said when they said to sear only one side! I was thinking of terms that the sear burns fat and caramelizes proteins and adds flavor, not to mention improves appearance too, but I had been searing both sides and by that time I had significantly cooked the interior of the steak beyond target doneness.

This time I used my mini-propane torch (the same one that comes with the custard dish set). I cooked my rib eye at 120F for 1 hour then put it on a very hot plate (bit hotter than serving temperature) and seared just the one side with the mini-torch, and served it. For fun I measured the internal temperature and it was still about 120F. It seemed weird eating a steak at such a low temperature and I'm sure people bothered by safe cooking temperature rules won't want to try this method. It tasted great!

I'm a bit late to the party, but I had a rare rib eye steak cooked in the Sous Vide, and twice baked potato.

My appetizer was about 4 oz. of tuna sashimi. It was fun cutting off pieces as the main piece thawed, I like my sashimi just a bit icy and it tasted great! I pay $20/lb. for sushi grade flash frozen chicken so my DIY sashimi is a heck of a lot less expensive than that served in a restaurant. Be nice to me and I'll share my sashimi recipe. LOLOLOLOL! ;)

Sashimi chicken?

My appetizer was about 4 oz. of tuna sashimi . It was fun cutting off pieces as the main piece thawed, I like my sashimi just a bit icy and it tasted great! I pay $20/lb. for sushi grade flash frozen chicken so my DIY sashimi is a heck of a lot less expensive than that served in a restaurant...

Sashimi chicken?

Looks like Greg had a Brain Burp. You can relax Nurse PF, he's not going to get salmonella tonight. ;)

Next Danish Club lunch isn't until August 14. It's the 2nd Wednesday of the month. But, I sure hope you can make it.

Any interest in going to the Swedish Crayfish fest? They had it in September last year. I've never gone, but would like to.
I'm dog-sitting and have an appointment on the 15th, so it would be a day trip (dogs can be dropped off/picked up at my house--friend comes back from canoe trip that day). When is the crayfish festival? My brother would be interested in going too.

I'm dog-sitting and have an appointment on the 15th, so it would be a day trip (dogs can be dropped off/picked up at my house--friend comes back from canoe trip that day). When is the crayfish festival? My brother would be interested in going too.
As far as I can see from the website, there is no official date for the crayfish party yet. That's why I mentioned September last year, just for an idea of timing.

Well I guess my mind was somewhere else. Or maybe oldtimer's disease is setting in. WTH, I'm human, I goof. :) If y'all got a good laugh then it's fine with me! :)

:LOL: We knew what you meant! Just figured you were preoccupied with thinking about what to cook on that gorgeous new stove!

The real question is if you can thaw sashimi grade chicken on the counter :ermm:
:whistling

Hey girls, regarding the crayfish boil, don't have it too late or you will miss the season. I had my boil late summer or early fall and was lucky to get them.

The real question is if you can thaw sashimi grade chicken on the counter :ermm:
:whistling

Hey girls, regarding the crayfish boil, don't have it too late or you will miss the season. I had my boil late summer or early fall and was lucky to get them.

ROFL!!!

:LOL: We knew what you meant! Just figured you were preoccupied with thinking about what to cook on that gorgeous new stove!
I hadn't ordered the stove yet. I was going to go in Monday until I discovered that Pacific Sales was on a Tuesday-Saturday schedule, but I'm sure my mind being on the new gear had my attention defocused. They opened Tuesday, I bought the gear Tuesday, it got installed today and I cooked dinner using it tonight.

And it is gorgeous! I was just thinking about the gorgeous deep blue porcelain of the oven interior. Every other oven I've ever had used a grey with dark spatters porcelain finish, perhaps to hide splatters and dirt. The new oven is like gazing into the abyss! :)

Another interesting development, I have always liked white appliances. I mean, white goes on white. There is just one appliance white. Get white and all your appliances will always go together well.

The new house, it had all white appliances except a stainless steel Maytag refrigerator--a really gorgeous refrigerator--French two doors two drawers, but it didn't go with anything, didn't go with the white GE Profile cooktop, didn't go with the GE oven (both doubtless original construction), nor the white Kitchen Aid dishwasher.

Well guess who is odd man out now! Stainless fridge, stainless cooktop, stainless oven... White dishwasher, white cooktop hood (probably soon to be replaced). After getting the new hood the dishwasher will be odd man out (instead of the fridge when I bought the house) and too bad there is no good reason to replace it before it breaks. Oh well, I think dishwashers last less than 25 years and I think I'll last more than 25 years, so one day all my kitchen appliances will be stainless.

I don't think I would have ever set out with this as a goal, but sometimes you pick your fate, sometimes your fate picks you.

Back
Top Bottom