Monday's Lazy Dinner-1-26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Making up a huge crock pot of chuck wagon beans.Corn bread, salad on the side.

This is so cheating I know but, I'll be using Bush's bourbon and brown sugar baked beans with the ground beef we just made last week.

Everybody's on a weird schedule this week.They can eat it when they want.
Simple but good.

Grilled, three mustard marinated chicken breasts and fruit.

Knockwurst with steamed cabbage, carrots and onions, a side of cabbage salad and maybe a little chunky apple sauce! :yum:

Knockwurst or Knackwurst are very hard to find in my area, not sure why.

IMO they are the best of the wurst! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It is a perfect day for grilling. In Minnesota. In January. :LOL: Reluctantly, I will forego this great opportunity this time.

We were out to Jr's today and the four of us went out for a late lunch. Pretty good pizza ( not the best crust ever, excellent sauce, the freshest mozzarella, house made sausage) and salad bar. We brought along some homemade Tiramasu that Dx and I made yesterday, and we had coffee/ sodas and dessert back at their place after lunch. I am way too full to even think about dinner. I did get an extra piece of tiramisu to bring home.

We're having hot Polish-like sausages, slit the long way and cooked on the Griddler, steamed spinach with sour cream, leftover garlic couscous from yesterday, iced tea, and...freshly made coconut cream pie with lots 'o meringue. That should do it.

It's so nice to hear some of you in Minnesota are grilling, or at least CAN grill, in January. :ohmy::chef:

I was planning on grilling some chicken thighs, but we got an unexpected heavy rainfall and the patio started getting flooded. :LOL: Change of plans, and having an omelette this evening.

Lazy indeed...leftovers here. We're cleaning out the freezers and DH wanted comfort food this weekend, so tonight was meatloaf-ish hamburger patties and baked mac & cheese from Saturday. And a big green salad. Trying to talk DH into making kettle corn for dessert.

I defrosted some more pulled pork/ham and had it with some more pickled red onion. Can't resist the stuff.

Do you make your own pickled red onions, Dawg? I've been making them from Rick Bayless's recipe for years and I love them :yum:

We had leftovers - spaghetti, stuffed shells and applesauce. Weird combo, I know, but it worked for tonight.

Do you make your own pickled red onions, Dawg? I've been making them from Rick Bayless's recipe for years and I love them :yum:..

Yes I do, GG, and I'm hooked, been using them on everything, including eating them straight from the jar! Simple brine of white wine vinegar, a bit of balsamic, some kosher salt, and whole allspice, boil, cool, and throw in thinly sliced raw red onions. I keep them in the fridge in a mason jar. I'll have to look up Bayless's recipe.

Last edited:
Not lazy here until tomorrow. I made two dinners tonight! Tonight we had seared scallops, bacon and Brussels sprouts with a side of Kashi's 7-grain pilaf. I added a bit of butter, lemon zest and fresh parley to jazz it up. Weather-appropriate plate. Gingerbread cake for dessert. Still no ice cream...:( Whipped cream worked! Tomorrow I might make a rum sauce. :yum:

Soup tomorrow. Oh, gotta take it out of my walk-in freezer (the garage) and put it into the refrigerator. Don't want it to freeze solid - it's only 12 and still going down.

Attachments

• 2015-01-26 21.47.33.jpg
    2015-01-26 21.47.33.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 153
Yes I do, GG, and I'm hooked, been using them on everything, including eating them straight from the jar! Simple brine of white wine vinegar, a bit of balsamic, some kosher salt, and whole allspice, boil, cool, and throw in thinly sliced raw red onions. I keep them in the fridge in a mason jar. I'll have to look up Bayless's recipe.

I haven't found the one I use online - it's in one of his cookbooks I have. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

I'd love to have that recipe too GG. Although not as colorful, would white onions work equally well? I can't resist getting my supply of beautiful white onions from the local Mexican market at 5lbs for a dollar.

I would think white onions would be fine, Kay. You do want to give them some of that pretty pink color though!

I will send it to both of you later today. I'm upstairs resting now and my laptop is downstairs.

Kay, I think white onions will be fine, just different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom