Most Expensive Restaurant Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougiezerts

Assistant Cook
What's the most expensive restaurant meal you've ever eaten--and was it worth it?
A few years ago, my brother in law treated us to Ruth Chris Steak House. The tab came to $300, for six of us. I had lamb. Was it worth it? Yes, it was very good. And I didn't have to pay for it!
The most expensive meal I did pay for was in London. My girlfriend and I went to a restaurant whose name I've forgotten. (It's a chain, I remember.) Our meal came to 60 pounds, roughly $100. Again, I had lamb. Yes, that was worth it.

I take my husband to Boca, a small place in Cincnnati every year for his birthday. Last year our bill was $275 for two, including a modest bottle of red wine.

It was a work related dinner at Mortons. There were 9 of us and the bill was 1200 dollars.

Our breakfast at Brennens, in New Orleans, was $120 for the two of us, plus drinks and tips. That'$ been about 12 year$ ago.
In '85, we ate at a French restaurant in Chicago at the top of a skyscraper that looked out over Lake Michigan...Tower Point Club? That meal was well over $100, and we didn't have any drinks, except the complimentary glass of wine that came with the meal.
We went with friends to a local gourmet restaurant about 10 years ago, and for the four of us, the bill was well over $300.

In Cebu Philippines we had a meal for 12 people. hokaido crabs, abalone sashimi in its shell, Kobe beef staeak and Fugu (puffer fish) three ways (sashimi, grilled tail, boiled intestines, boile innards and stew with soba noodles). Japanese honey dew melons. it cost us 3,000.oo dollors. The ingredients were flown in from tokyo and prepared upon our request. The chef is japanese. was it good??? well the puffer fish while being dangerous to eat and the chef needs a license to prepare it was really overated. The kobe beef is spectacular and the japanese Honey dew Melons are really out of this world.

Michael Cook said:
Dinner where I proposed to my second wife, almost cost me my soul and my sanity!

Game over - you win!
hug.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dominique's in DC area - 6 of us - roughly 1988 - $1800...and that was supposedly a deal as one of the girls with us "knew" the/one of the owners. :rolleyes:

Bern's Steak House in Tampa, FL. Don't know the cost, told my DH that he should keep it to himself. Wonderful evening.

How odd to find this a topic this morning. I was talking to some friends last night and told them about the breakfast we had at Brennan's in New Orleans a couple years ago. The bill came to $132.00 not counting the tip for just my husband and me. We had the most incredible, memorable breakfast we could ever have imagined. (We started the meal with escargot and raw oysters. We ended with their famous Bananas Foster. ) The food and service were superb. I can't believe we could eat that much food but eat we did and we talked about it for a long time. Now that he's gone, I wouldn't have traded that meal for anything in the world. He loved good food as I did.

I can't remember. I used to travel on business quite a bit, to very expensive cities like Boston, New York, and Washington D.C., and seeing I was on an expense account (your tax dollars at work!) I just proffered the company Amex card and signed the receipt. I never bothered to remember the cost once I submitted the expense reports.

I visited Ana Mandara in San Francisco last year after the Chinese New Years parade, and for four of us the bill came to $240.00 with tip. But, we had appetizers, entrees, dessert, and wine; the food, the service, and the ambiance were fantastic; and no one left hungry so it was worth the expense. Normally we eat in Chinatown after the parade, which seldom costs more than 15 bucks a head because, well, it's Chinatown!

Last edited:
Y'all are lucky you don't live in New York! Most "nice" but not extravagant restaurants cost around $100 per person... more depending upon what you drink with that.....

I think the most expensive meal I ever paid for was at the Wheatleigh, a restaurant in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts... I think my share of the bill (divided equally) was just under $300.

I am lucky enught not to know what the expensive restaurants I've eaten at cost ;) . I hope I never find out, too, rofl

I live in the NYC metro area, so prices are inflated a bit around here. If my boyfriend and I go out for a nice dinner either in the city or here in northern NJ, we usually expect dinner to be about $200-$250, including drinks but not gratuity.
About 6-7 years ago, my husband and I were in Key West with our kids. We had dinner at a steak house named after some football guy. That dinner was $450. I recall the lobster we shared as a first course was just over a hundred bucks.

In my previous career, I would often dine with clients, who always payed the tab. I was quite fond of a special restaurant that served caviar as a meal or first course. I often ordered the osetra for lunch, which was $95.

Four years ago, 4 lady friends and I were treated to dinner by a gentleman who enjoyed being in the company of lovely ladies. We went to Le Bec Fin in Philladelphia. Peeking at the bill was extremely difficult, but I did manage to see that the price of the 5 meals, excluding the bar tab was $1500. I imagine the bar tab was another $500.

Were they worth it? Absolutely. I have no qualms paying for a magnificent meal, as long as the service and ambience are impeccable, as well.

ChefJune said:
Y'all are lucky you don't live in New York! Most "nice" but not extravagant restaurants cost around $100 per person... more depending upon what you drink with that.....

I think the most expensive meal I ever paid for was at the Wheatleigh, a restaurant in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts... I think my share of the bill (divided equally) was just under $300.

Lou and I dined there about 5 years ago! We were 4 couples, and I believe the cost of dinner was over $1200. What a positively magnificent place. I loved how the waitstaff swept the room to serve, and stood behind you, waiting patiently....

I can't spell it but we went to a Brazilian Steak House that was extremely high priced, in my opinion.
Ruth's Chris is another one!

Caine said:
I've been saying that very same thing most of my entire adult life!

For me it wasn't luck, it took quite a lot of planning and back breaking labor but we did it! We moved! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom