My dinner was ruined!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I was so excited for my dinner tonight. Before I left for work I had placed a corned beef in the Crock Pot. All day I was thinking how great it was going to be to come home to dinner already made. Well we came home and the first thing DW says it "what smells so bad in here?". OK those were not her exact words, but I think you can probably guess what she said. I look at the Crock Pot and all the lights are flashing like it does as soon as it gets plugged in. The think was cold and the corned beef was not cooked in the slightest. I still have no idea what went wrong. The power did not go out. The Crock Pot is still in working condition. I am at a loss. What makes it even worse is that it is Passover and I have very little in the house that is kosher for Passover. The last thing I wanted to do was go back out to the store so I had to make do with leftover grilled veggies and mashed potatoes. Now the decision I have to make is do I pull another corned beef out of the freezer and try again tomorrow?

Oh, that just bites!!
If your sure that the crock pot still works, then I would try again tomorrow and turn it on right when you wake up and check to make sure it is going as it is suppose to before you leave. Good luck, I hope it's better for you tomorrow!!

GB said:
I was so excited for my dinner tonight. Before I left for work I had placed a corned beef in the Crock Pot. All day I was thinking how great it was going to be to come home to dinner already made. Well we came home and the first thing DW says it "what smells so bad in here?". OK those were not her exact words, but I think you can probably guess what she said. I look at the Crock Pot and all the lights are flashing like it does as soon as it gets plugged in. The think was cold and the corned beef was not cooked in the slightest. I still have no idea what went wrong. The power did not go out. The Crock Pot is still in working condition. I am at a loss. What makes it even worse is that it is Passover and I have very little in the house that is kosher for Passover. The last thing I wanted to do was go back out to the store so I had to make do with leftover grilled veggies and mashed potatoes. Now the decision I have to make is do I pull another corned beef out of the freezer and try again tomorrow?

Oh, GB, so sorry to read this. Know what's it's like to have your heart set and expect dinner & then poof...not to mention the $ down the drain. If you have another corned beef in the wings, pull it out & try again - but don't use the crockpot till you've tested it while you're at home. If you're pressed for time, maybe there's a deli nearby to p/u another. Try an oven roasted or another cooking method till you can find out where the problem with the crock was.

Please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question - I'm not asking it to offend.

Have you made corned beef in a crockpot before, & if not, did you remember to add water to it? I believe that a number of the newer model crockpots have an automatic shutoff if there's no liquid in them because apparently no liquid can damage/short out the heating element & possibly cause a fire.

No offense taken :)

Yes I made it once before in the Crock Pot. There was plenty of water in it. It was covered by a few inches. When I came home I had a pot full of gross water and nasty meat :mad:

Oh! I am so sorry!! I have had the same thing happen, only it is usually because I've forgotten to turn the silly thing on. Look on the bright side: you had other goodies to make a (no doubt) yummy, nutritious meal for your family, and in a month or so, it will make for a funny story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom