My Food Blog in Port Aransas TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Each year we come to visit this little island off the coast of Texas partly because we like the quiet and laid back town and partly because I believe some great seafood is to be had here!!! I look forward to this place each year because I discover the small places that I have passed on for the last 15 years has got some of the greatest food!!!!

On Sept 10th, we arrived in Port Arnasas about 5pm. Got our room on the beach, situated the dogs so they were comfortable and set off to eat at one of our favorite places, Crazy Cajuns.... oh but they are closed on Mondays!!! RATS!!! So off we go to a place that I recall from last year's visit, the Wharf.

Service started out kinda slow, but it was all worth the wait. I ordered the sauteed scallops which came with a tossed greek style vinagrette salad that was wonderful. The main course were these wonderful scallops lightly dredged in flour and then sauteed in what seemed to be a butter lemon sauce... they were wonderful!!! Along with the scallops were these wonderful grilled zucchini slices that were just perfect and was by far the best zucchini I have had. Rice pilaf was good too, but I filled up on all the other stuff! Hubby had the fried shrimp... oh my they were big and the breading was to die for! A hearty breading that made 3 of these shrimp a meal. They were wonderful. They came with fries... nothing to special there!

We were both full and pleaseantly miserable!

For the 11th, (our 14year anniversary) we will be going to a tiny little place called Shells and for lunch quite possibly some fish tacos! I will update you later on today's tasty food!

Oh Sattie, you and hubby are in heaven! I love Port A. I have a little place in Aransas Pass (just the other side of the ferry) and I intend to retire there someday. Shell's is the best place ever. Be sure and blog what you had. I love their blue crab ravioli and always have the asian dumplings. But the chalkboard menu is always to die for. Can you believe they turn out that incredible food from a place the size of a garden shed??? Try and hit Pelican's Landing for drinks in the evening if you can. They have been having live music most weekend nights and it's usually pretty good local stuff. Tell us everything and Happy Anniversary!

Isn't it great down there? We didn't get over there, but, we still had fun.
We went on a week's vacation, first for us and the boys as a family to really have some fun. We stayed in Rockport and that was such a nice little quiet town. All the people were so nice. I don't like weekenders here myself, but, these people really welcome you. We went to Aransas pass for a day in the waves. That was so fun to see the boys in awe over the vast water. LOL
It was later that evening that we found out why we were the only ones out there. There had been shark spotted and an attack 2 days before:ohmy:
I shook for an hour thinking about having my boys out there.
I would love to go back, just don't want to go back deep sea fishing. I was so sick:sick: Little boat in that big blue yonder. Oh, but, it was BEAUTIFUL and the dolphins swimming beside the boat. I was fine while we were moving, it was just when we were still. Remember the "I love Lucy" episode with Fred??:LOL:

Have lots and lots of fun!!!

Well, I feel stupid!:wacko: My husband just reminded me that we did go over there to Mustang Island, THAT is where we played in the waves. Well DUH. I don't know how in the world I forgot about the ferry ride. My first ever.:huh: And the dolphins swimming around.

Last edited:
Isn't it great down there? We didn't get over there, but, we still had fun.
We went on a week's vacation, first for us and the boys as a family to really have some fun. We stayed in Rockport and that was such a nice little quiet town. All the people were so nice. I don't like weekenders here myself, but, these people really welcome you. We went to Aransas pass for a day in the waves. That was so fun to see the boys in awe over the vast water. LOL
It was later that evening that we found out why we were the only ones out there. There had been shark spotted and an attack 2 days before:ohmy:
I shook for an hour thinking about having my boys out there.
I would love to go back, just don't want to go back deep sea fishing. I was so sick:sick: Little boat in that big blue yonder. Oh, but, it was BEAUTIFUL and the dolphins swimming beside the boat. I was fine while we were moving, it was just when we were still. Remember the "I love Lucy" episode with Fred??:LOL:

Have lots and lots of fun!!!

Well, I feel stupid!:wacko: My husband just reminded me that we did go over there to Mustang Island, THAT is where we played in the waves. Well DUH. I don't know how in the world I forgot about the ferry ride. My first ever.:huh: And the dolphins swimming around.
Texasgirl, that sounds like so much fun. I love Rockport, too. Not the beach as much because it's much rockier and we've gotten cut feet before. But they have some very nice restaurants and great junk shops!

The dolphins in Port A are my favorite, too. I had never actually seen them up close til I went there. Next time you go, try to rent a jet ski there at the marina. You take it out just into the channel and the dolphins come right up to the ski. It's wonderful. They also have people with para-sails at the marina and that is a blast. My daughter talked me into doing it once and I'm hooked now. (I was actually terrified of heights before that and it helped take that away to a great extent.)

I can't wait for Sattie to get back and post all her doings there.

Well, the second day, we tried to eat at Shell's and they were closed!!! ARRRRRGH again! So here is what we did: For lunch, it was Pelican's Landing and an order of grilled fish tacos! The fish they use is mahi mahi and they were wonderfully seasoned paired with black beans and rice. Hubby had chicken and sausage gumbo which was really thick and hearty and had a nice 'bite' to it.

For dinner, since Shell's was closed, we went to Crazy Cajuns. We both ordered the "Hungry Cajun" meal which includes mudbugs, shrimp, crab, potatoes, corn, and sausage. All dumped in the middle of your table and served with melted butter and warm bread and an icy brew for effect!!! Pretty darn tasty tho Hubby complained he ran out of shrimp! We will try for Shell's tomorrow night!

Yes, I love this place, it's fairly quiet in the off season and the weather is near perfect, not to hot, just nice warm water and breezy beaches!!! Be back soon to tell ya what is going on at Shell's!!!

Back
Top Bottom