Name something unusual you ate while travelling. Would you eat that again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McDonalds. I ate such a lot of it when I was in Manhattan in 1993 as #1 it was cheap ,#2 it was December and freezing so any excuse to be inside #3 it was a novelty as we didn't have McDonalds in South Africa yet. I have not ever had McDonalds again. . .

I had Wild Boar in a restaurant in Germany that specializes in game. It was wonderful, and yes, I would eat it again.

A unusual crab dish

The unusual dish I had was in one of San Antonio restaurant. It was called 'the drunken crab'. It was amazing with the garnishing of parsley and whipped cream. I will definitely have it again...:chef:

octopus and squid cooked in ink is quite common in Spain...I like it...also blood sausage, though we have many different kinds, some I like some I cannot eat.

The most strange thing I have eaten is Whale. Looks like meat, has the consistency of meat...but it has a slight fishy taste. Weird. I also tried cured seal meat...not my favourite food.

Recently I had real (not mock!) turtle soup at a Chinese restaurant in Manila. I was a little bothered but everyone at the table insisted I had it. I psyched myself up by telling myself that turtle can't be any worse than crab which I adore. I also conjured up scenes from the movie Babette's Feast to help me along.

Well, the turtle soup turned out to be extremely tasty. Some parts of the flesh tasted like (what else?) very tender chicken, and some parts that were supposed to be attached to the shell had slimy membranes that were not unpleasant to eat at all. I certainly won't mind having turtle soup again :)

All this talk of food and travel is making me want to run to the airport and jump on an airplane!

top this one

we were at a smoke out gathering at Lake Degray Arkansas and the Texas boys got even with me for many things
img_702470_0_32d0252fa23805b5dc154777e647b1c4.jpg

What is a texas flapjack???? Poor pic sorry

img_702470_1_c2604a85b8aeb470e06de55f542b1e9f.jpg

Needs salt though
img_702470_2_b69d42548adc8ae9b3ed6b0614da8f1d.jpg

Last edited:
So what is that in the photo Slowpoke? Pancakes with green food coloring in them?

I'll try just about anything. I don't want to try durian, brains, tripe or chitterlings, but as a general rule, if it looks good, I'll try it.

The weirdest? I dunno. I love conch chowder and conch fritters. Escargot is amazing. Alligator is very tasty. I hate ostrich. Antelope and all the other hoofed deer-like animals taste very good to me. Frog was disgusting. Goat is excellent. Calamari and octopus are awesome. I've never had the more exotic things, like hairy, rotten horse milk, but I watch Andrew Zimmern and say to myself, "Self... you'd probably try that." Heck, I'd probably try baloot (sp?) at least once.

I was an exchange student for a year in Norway when I was 16/17, and I tried whale meat. Not sure what I was thinking, as I am so dead against whaling (more so now than then obviously). I think I was just going along to get along as we went to a pub that had whale meat as their speciality and I felt a tad pressured by my host family. It had a taste quite unlike anything I've ever eaten, so I can't compare it to anything. All I can say is it tasted like....well....whale :huh:

And no, I wouldn't eat it again, I think we should leave the whales in the oceans where they belong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom