Name something unusual you ate while travelling. Would you eat that again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
I was in Kyrgyzstan a couple of weeks ago. Some matronly women in a village insisted that I drink some of the fermented horse milk they were selling, because apparently it will make me strong. :ermm:

I certainly wouldnt voluntarily drink it again or in the first place for that matter. As well as it being not too nice tasting the conditions they keep and serve it in are none too hygenic. One has to drink carefully to avoid the pieces of dirt and hair that are often in it.

Mel

Well, My friend from Brazil sent me seeds of vegetables common to her region for my garden. So I grew, and tried for the first time " Maxixe" Kind of tasted like a very seedy cucumber. It travelled to me :-p

Attachments

• maxixe.jpg
    maxixe.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 208
Bugs at Bugfest... although it was only a 4 mile travel.
No, I probably won't eat them again till next year, LOL!

I had lychee nuts in San Francisco's Chinatown when I was a kid...I also had avocado, an artichoke, and a buffalo burger on that trip.
A lot of the things that were unusual when I was a kid are commonly found in our grocery stores these days.

I had calamari for the first time in San Francisco as a kid, at Fisherman's Wharf, I think. Dad didn't tell me what it was till after I had eaten some! Loved it.

In 2001, I went to Turkey, and the traditional Turkish breakfast was unusual for me - olives, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese and bread, with Turkish coffee and cherry juice.

And a couple of years ago, I tried ceviche for the first time, in Colorado. Now I can't get enough :)

I am South African we eat a lot of biltong what Americans call jerky, the strangest biltong I tried was whale very fatty. Oh and I have eaten a hard boiled penquin egg which was fishy tasting strange but true

The only thing that I've had that I WILL NOT eat again was
goats head soup.

I love goat meat but this stuff was nasty.

as a kiddo, alligator & frog. now i buy frog. they're both delicious!!!
not while travelling i've tried a quial egg at school, just a cute version of an egg, & foie gras.

When I was in China, I ate what looked like a beef jerky only to find out it was dog jerky. I found that very disturbing. I would not ever knowingly eat dog again.

When I was in China, I ate what looked like a beef jerky only to find out it was dog jerky. I found that very disturbing. I would not ever knowingly eat dog again.

I could never, what did it taste like?

foie gras is very awesome

I dont think and food is unusualy jsut to the area its not native too.

There are very few things that I won't eat, dog is at the top of the list. For some reason, wolf and coyote would not bother me. Everything is in the perception. I love foie gras and truffles, although I prefer if someone else is paying.

It tasted like a sweet beef jerky. But different enough to make me wonder what it was....after that I stuck to vegetables while in China.

Blood sausage

While in the United Kingdom I had blood sausage (or was it blood pudding?) as part of my English breakfast. I'll try just about anything once. Blood sausage is not one that I'll try again. :chef:

:) In Germany their breakfasts are hard rolls, cold cuts, cheese, jam, butter some other things but the wierdest to me was something called Mett it's raw ground pork.

I'm from the United Kingdom and it is called blood sausage or black pudding. Whatever you want to call it, it is just plain nasty!!!
My husband has eaten sea urchin egg soup in Japan which he said was really crunchy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom