National Beer Day Dinner - 4/7/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Burgers on the grill, oven fries, and of course beer.

"National Beer Day is celebrated in the United States every year on April 7, marking the day that the Cullen–Harrison Act was enacted after having been signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 22, 1933. Upon signing the legislation, Roosevelt made his famous remark, "I think this would be a good time for a beer." The law went into effect on April 7 of that year, allowing people to buy, sell and drink beer containing up to 3.2% alcohol by weight (or 4.05% by volume) in states that had enacted their own law allowing such sales. People across the country responded by gathering outside breweries, some beginning the night before. On that first day, 1.5 million barrels of beer were consumed, inspiring the future holiday."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Beer_Day_(United_States)

Well now, looks like I need to pick up some brats at the store today. Simmer them in cheap beer with onions, and brown them on the grill. Wash them down with good beer.

CD

Sandwiches from last nights roasted pork tenderloin, along with mac salad and garlic fries... hmmm.. a beer might be nice.. Haven't had a beer in months.. No reason, just haven't picked up any..

According to illustrator Sandra Boynton, it's also "National Coffee Cake Day" and "National No Housework Day". I'm too cold to drink beer today, so I'm honoring the "No Housework" day today...and most every other day! :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Himself has been dropping hints for me to make cheesy cauliflower soup with the last half of a small cauliflower. I also want to use up the leeks I have so I can buy fresh ones tomorrow - they're on sale this week. So a pot of cauliflower and a pot of potato-and-leek soup for tonight...with some for leftovers, I hope.

We're getting takeout. Shrimp, chicken, pork, beef Thai fried rice, spicy tuna rolls, vegetables roll, eel roll, and some Thai calamari. The rolls are small rolls, not the usual 8 piece ones.

Sandwiches from last nights roasted pork tenderloin, along with mac salad and garlic fries... hmmm.. a beer might be nice.. Haven't had a beer in months.. No reason, just haven't picked up any..

Added pic...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 151
Well, I too don't have any beer in the house, haven't made coffee cake in a while now and I just finished cleaning the house from top to bottom :)
Oh, but DH is over at Buffalo Wild Wings with his buddy, drinking beer, eatin' wings and watching the Phillies get POUNDED!!! :LOL: They stink, but then have for some time now :wacko:

For dinner, I have planned for DH leftover Meatballs with fresh pasta.
For moi, I've tried a new recipe: Creamy Chicken Lasagna with a few of my own twists to it. I follow this gals blog and she has some pretty interesting looking stuff.

DH: WHAT is that?!
Me: Creamy Chicken Lasagna
DH: LASAGNA?! No that's not! What are you going to do with it?
Me: Well, I'll have some for dinner tonight, while you have that leftover plate of meatballs.
DH: GOOD!!
Me: I'm going to take some next door to share with our new neighbors. Sharon said that no one bothers to eat lunch so...
DH: Oh my gawd! Don't tell them that it's lasagna, call it something else.
Me: HA! You're a funny boy.

*Note: I'm sure that everyone remembers that DH does NOT like anything creamy. "EEWWWW, I don't like that, it's too creamy". Please insert the voice of a whiny 10 year old BRAT little boy :ROFLMAO:

Since Dover Sole is on the menu tonight, I did a post search on how I did it last time.
I was inspired by the recent easy ways to cook fish, so I got out our individual little oval casseroles (love those) and defrosted a package of TJ's Dover Sole.

I melted some butter, fresh lime juice with zest, a touch of garlic, salt with white pepper.
There were two nice thin fillets for each casserole, and I folded them in half to fit. I buttered up a small amount of Panko for browning the top, added fresh chives and thyme sprigs, some sliced almonds and poured the butter mixture over the top of each. At 425 degrees for 10 minutes they were perfect, and deliciously easy. :yum:
I'll do the same tonight, along with some tater tots and spinach salad with strawberries.

Last edited:
Thanks to tenspeed for the inspiration.

I grilled some brats on the kettle, indirect heat, with a chunk of apple wood on top of the coals. I skipped the beer boil.

I went to Total Wine, Beer and Spirits for my beer. They have a gazillion choices. Fridays are always sample days. There was a representative from Tallgrass Brewing there, and he geve me a taste of their Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout, and it was awesome. I bought a six-pack.

BUFFALO SWEAT - Tallgrass Brewing Company | Manhattan KS

CD

We had Russian food -- Beef Stroganoff. Yummy. Wife initially protested, but I made it and she liked it. Served with a crusty bread and some corn.

I need to learn how to make borscht.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom