National Cheese Lovers Day Dinner - 1/20/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2cRfm2BeDY

I made a thin crust cheese pizza for lunch, and have a slow cooker full of chili going for dinner. I'll have to grate some cheddar to go on top.

I'll be back out with the snow blower late this afternoon. We only got 5 inches or so last night, and not the foot they were predicting. We are supposed to be getting freezing rain this afternoon, but it's just been sleeting. Freezing rain is the worst - it brings down trees and power lines, not to mention making driving treacherous.

Our grandson is here for two days and he did yeoman work today clearing snow and ice. We try to have his favorite meals.

I further reduced the load in the freezer by using a meal of Sunday ragu with meatballs and sausages over spaghetti. It was a hit.

Pork loin roast in the sous vide..reverse sear at 550 for 10 minutes...

Attachments

• 50639540_1892478990881457_6892670946637774848_n (2).jpg
    50639540_1892478990881457_6892670946637774848_n (2).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 50297134_631753703951573_6841311517258809344_n (2).jpg
    50297134_631753703951573_6841311517258809344_n (2).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 50448743_360293174808610_4816576905002090496_n (2).jpg
    50448743_360293174808610_4816576905002090496_n (2).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 50632892_2200840016837695_8980834048238682112_n (2).jpg
    50632892_2200840016837695_8980834048238682112_n (2).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2cRfm2BeDY

I made a thin crust cheese pizza for lunch, and have a slow cooker full of chili going for dinner. I'll have to grate some cheddar to go on top.

I'll be back out with the snow blower late this afternoon. We only got 5 inches or so last night, and not the foot they were predicting. We are supposed to be getting freezing rain this afternoon, but it's just been sleeting. Freezing rain is the worst - it brings down trees and power lines, not to mention making driving treacherous.

Yep. We don't get much snow down here, but we do get ice storms. I've seen some beautiful live oks split in half by ice. It makes me almost want to cry. As for driving, I've owned four Audis, with quattro. Great in snow... useless on ice. If the road is covered in ice, or packed sleet (we get that here, too), leave the car parked.

Hey, it's a great excuse to stay home and cook! And EAT!!! :chef:

CD

We love Cheese!
I like the softer ones, while DH prefers Hard Cheese aka Parmesan.
So, for supper I'm putting that pan of Three Cheese Lasagne into the hot box
(I didn't make it the other night after all)
and a loaf of No Knead Roasted Garlic Clove Bread
Can't Wait!!!

Mix those cheeses. Some fresh Mozz with a sprinkling of freshly grated parm-reg on top is a perfect bite, IMO.

CD

Pork loin roast in the sous vide..reverse sear at 550 for 10 minutes...

Nice!

Pork loin is great for sous vide. I see a little hint of pink in the loin photo. Sous vide cooking lets you do that, and not worry.

Are you old enough to remember when any sign of pink in pork was considered certain death. :ohmy:

Fantastic looking dinner!

CD

Thanks..I brought it up to 140 for 10 hours..that pink part is the cap and for some reason it stays that color..But, you are right about pink pork..I can eat loin done to medium but no less..we grew up with trichinosis..I believe that has been eradicated for the most part..one good thing about commercial farming, I guess..

Attachments

• 50321124_1971589666271461_5556969983398903808_n.jpg
    50321124_1971589666271461_5556969983398903808_n.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
As for me...

Woke up this mornin' just about noon
Rolled back on over, it was way too soon
My sensibilities hadn't stirred you see
Might bother some, but it don't bother me. -- Little Feat, Ain't had enough fun.

Nothing worth mentioning to eat at the doghouse tonight. Just grazing.

CD

Thanks..I brought it up to 140..that pink part is the cap and for some reason it stays that color..But, you are right about pink pork..I can eat it medium but no less..we grew up with trichinosis..I believe that has been eradicated for the most part..one good thing about commercial farming, I guess..

When I grew up (yes, I'm old enough to say that), lean pork was cooked to the consistency or shoe leather. Fatty pork, like shoulder, is great cooked for hours. Pork loin... not so much.

The greatest thing about sous vide cooking is that you can cook lean pork at 140F for long enough to achieve the same food safety results that you would get at 160F, without overcooking the meat.

Science is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GllSfiwCEtY

CD

Last edited:
Pretty cold here today, with last night's snow not melting so I decided I'd make a "comfort" food meal tonight.

Came across a recipe for Swedish meatballs and the recipe turned out to be a real keeper. The sauce was so good I was tempted to drink it.:ermm: Served buttered wide noodles and steamed peas with the meatballs.

Our dessert consisted of Vanilla Walnut Fudge. Really, really, really good. Didn't have to refrigerate the fudge to firm it up. I just put it outside on a decorative table outside by the front door. Yep, I said it was cold. Today's high, with sunshine, was 29F.

Pretty cold here today, with last night's snow not melting so I decided I'd make a "comfort" food meal tonight.

Came across a recipe for Swedish meatballs and the recipe turned out to be a real keeper. The sauce was so good I was tempted to drink it.:ermm: Served buttered wide noodles and steamed peas with the meatballs.

Our dessert consisted of Vanilla Walnut Fudge. Really, really, really good. Didn't have to refrigerate the fudge to firm it up. I just put it outside on a decorative table outside by the front door. Yep, I said it was cold. Today's high, with sunshine, was 29F.

You apparently don't have squirrels where you live. :ermm:

CD

Cheese Hoagies ( cheese, lettuce, tomatoes ( which are so crappy this time of year), Marinated hot peppers, Marinated sweet peppers ( from garden), Pickles ( from garden), onions, mayo , vinaigrette all on a kaiser roll). I prefer the kaiser roll as opposed to a regular hoagie roll because the cheese is sliced round, so it fits perfectly. Also, corn on the Cobb. Dessert was a pomegranate .

It's been cold today (high today was 24), snowy-rainy-yucky weather. We had bowls full of ugly comfort food. It's basically very thin mashed potatoes ladled over chunks of cheese (we has longhorn cheese), topped with minced raw onion and vinegar. Warms you all the way down to the toes.

Now that it's dropped down to zero, it might be time for some Bourbon...IMG_20190120_210633215.jpg

A few months back I bought a couple of Knorr packages of quick pasta dishes. They make enough for two. I like to have food like this on hand for days Pirate doesn't feel like making me a meal.

Waste of money. I tried the pasta with garlic sauce. Flat. So I added a tsp. of garlic powder. Some help, but still BLEH. So I added some sea salt. Much better. But still couldn't get that taste of garlic I was looking for.

I still have two packages of Knorr Fettucine Alfredo. I don't know when I will be making that, but I hope it won't be as disappointing as what I had today.

It's been cold today (high today was 24), snowy-rainy-yucky weather. We had bowls full of ugly comfort food. It's basically very thin mashed potatoes ladled over chunks of cheese (we has longhorn cheese), topped with minced raw onion and vinegar. Warms you all the way down to the toes.

Now that it's dropped down to zero, it might be time for some Bourbon...View attachment 33205

LOL, yes, that is not pretty. :ermm:

But, as long as it tastes good, who cares. Actually, as long as you have Bourbon, the food doesn't even need to taste good. ;):angel:

CD

A few months back I bought a couple of Knorr packages of quick pasta dishes. They make enough for two. I like to have food like this on hand for days Pirate doesn't feel like making me a meal.

Waste of money. I tried the pasta with garlic sauce. Flat. So I added a tsp. of garlic powder. Some help, but still BLEH. So I added some sea salt. Much better. But still couldn't get that taste of garlic I was looking for.

I still have two packages of Knorr Fettucine Alfredo. I don't know when I will be making that, but I hope it won't be as disappointing as what I had today.

Store bought white sauces are all bland, IMO. In addition to garlic, add a good amount of black pepper. Salt is not good for me (and probably you), so I am pretty careful about how much I add to store bought foods, that are already loaded with salt and sugars.

Pepper, whether black or red pepper, is good for you, and will make that store bought sauce a whole lot better.

CD

I made a pot of Mexican chicken tortilla soup and it sure hit the spot. Did anyone besides us take a look at the Super Blood Wolf Moon tonight?

Last edited:
Moon? What moon, Kayelle? :LOL: We're still completely socked in with clouds, unfortunately.

LOL, yes, that is not pretty. :ermm:

But, as long as it tastes good, who cares. Actually, as long as you have Bourbon, the food doesn't even need to taste good. ;):angel:

CD
Himself hit up the Bourbon after he took our garbage carts down to the curb. I'm happy sipping some red wine tonight. Wine is from grapes, and I needed more fruit today. ;)

Back
Top Bottom