Natn'l Pasta Day ~ Oct. 17, 2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I've already made the fresh Fettuccini, I'm just not sure what I'll serving with it yet.

56875-albums1045-picture8193.jpg

What's going on your table?

Before I even realized it was National Pasta Day I had decided on rotini, Italian sausages and meatballs with grandma's Sunday sauce and a loaf of Pane Toscano for dinner today.

Last edited:
We always try to do something special on a Sunday. I wanted to buy some stuffed pasta (tortellini, ravioli,agnoletti) today - but the stuff I found in the market was way too expensive.
So I settled for a lovely packet of tiny portobello mushrooms, some Di Cecco farfalle pasta and some lovely lettuce to make a salad. Send you the pics later!

Ah, K-Girl, you made my decision about what to fix for supper easier. I've been dithering between ham-and-beans-and-collard-greens or mac-and-cheese with bacon-green beans. Mac and cheese for the win! Or more like "all the leftover bits of pasta shapes" and cheese. :LOL:

Easy home made ravioli
Ingredients:
Fresh, or dried lasagna noodles
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage(hot, or sweet, your choice)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 cup fresh basil. divided
1 cup cottage cheese (or ricotta)
1/4 cup Parmigiana Reggiano, grated
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground rosemary
1 egg
2 tbs. milk

Parboil noodles until al dente in salted water. Drain and lay out on parchment paper, or Silpat mats. Brown meat, and drain. Add herbs, and spices. Stir, and add cheeses. Stir well to combine. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp (about ten minutes).

Brush noodles with egg wash made from the milk and egg. Spoon meat/cheese mixture in tsp. size mounds about an inch apart on half of the noodles. Place the other noodles on top. Press the edges together, removing as much air as possible. Cut between the mounds to make the ravioli pillows. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place into a 325' F oven and bake for 10 minutes to set the egg wash and seal the raviolis. Serve with favorite pasta sauce, with fresh basil leaves on top.

Tip, if you add Sunday gravy, or a good marinara to the meat/cheese mixture, this is a great filling for lasagna, manicotti, jumbo shells, etc.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nlrth

Last edited:
Easy home made ravioli
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground rosemary
1 egg
2 tbs. milk

Parboil noodles until al dente in salted water. Drain and lay out on parchment paper, or Silpat mats. Brown meat, and drain. Add herbs, and spices. Stir, and add cheeses. Stir well to combine. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp (about ten minutes).

Brush noodles with egg wash made from the milk and egg. Spoon meat/cheese mixture in tsp. size mounds about an inch apart on half of the noodles. Place the other noodles on top. Press the edges together, removing as much air as possible. Cut between the mounds to make the ravioli pillows. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place into a 325' F oven and bake for 10 minutes to set the egg wash and seal the raviolis. Serve with favorite pasta sauce, with fresh basil leaves on top.

Tip, if you add Sunday gravy, or a good marinara to the meat/cheese mixture, this is a great filling for lasagna, manicotti, jumbo shells, etc.

That's brilliant.

Easy home made ravioli
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground rosemary
1 egg
2 tbs. milk

What a great idea. Could you post this to the Pasta forum so it doesn't get lost?

Used our largest clay baker (have about 6 of various sizes) to make tonight's meal.

Washed and dried a whole chicken, about 5 pounds, and salt and peppered it good on the inside.

Had already soaked the clay baker in water for about an hour.

Put a bunch of potato chunks (skin on), some baby carrots, mushrooms, onions cut in 1/8s, a boatload of fresh rosemary, lots of fresh garlic and plenty of salt and pepper on the bottom of the baker.

Placed the chicken on top, put the cover on the baker and put into a cold oven. Turned the temp to 450F and let all the goodies enjoy the warmth of the oven for about 2 hours.

Yum, yum, yummers. The chicken was tender and oh, so juicy and the veggies were perfect. The rosemary did its job and we have plenty for tomorrow.

Had apple pie as the finish.

Just like GG, I made meatloaf for supper. We had it with brown basmati rice and vegis with green masala and yogourt. That meatloaf turned out particularly tasty. When Stirling commented on it, I admitted that I had umami bombed it. I had added miso, fish sauce, and Worcestershire. There is barely enough meatloaf left to make one sandwich.

Attachments

• Meatloaf, brown basmati rice, and vegis with green masala, Linda's plate.jpg
    Meatloaf, brown basmati rice, and vegis with green masala, Linda's plate.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Meatloaf, brown basmati rice, and vegis with green masala, Stirling's plate.jpg
    Meatloaf, brown basmati rice, and vegis with green masala, Stirling's plate.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 27
The godbaby's mother had a Halloween movie party. My contributions were MiniMummies and a Tombstone Taco dip. I nibbled on that and what others brought all day long.

Attachments

• MiniMummies.jpg
    MiniMummies.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 34
  • taco tombstones.jpg
    taco tombstones.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 33
It's soup weather! No pasta here, but I got my Instant Pot back to use (after that experiment I did in it), and, while this can be done as a one dish meal, there is no way to get all that browning in the IP, so I do two things at once whenever I brown mushrooms or meats, or both, as in this delicious mushroom barley beef soup. The broth I used was just 4 c chicken - I'm not crazy about store bought beef broth, but chicken is fine. This darkness is from the browning in the pan, and some from the 1 oz of dried boletus mushrooms - I add those or porcini to just about every mushroom dish I make, except Asian dishes.

While sautéing the mirepoix in the Instant Pot, first the mushrooms, then the cubed beef were browned in that wok. While those were all cooking, I squeezed the grit out of the boletus, then filtered the water.
All the browning from the mushrooms and the beef, for the soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After those were finished, I deglazed the pan with some white vermouth, then that filtered soaking water. I added enough water to make 3 c, plus the 4 c broth, and added to the IP, after cooking some garlic and 2 tb tomato paste the last 2 minutes. I added 3/4 c pearled barley, and the beef, plus a tb of low sodium soy, and a tb of that Syrian oregano, chopped (sort of like adding 2 tsp thyme). Then I pressure cooked it for just 15 min., let the pressure release naturally, then added one good sized potato, diced, and the browned mushrooms. It was a little thin, so I also stirred in 1/4 c red lentils. I then pressure cooked them again, for 15 min., let the pressure release naturally, and it was ready! I had to have a second, not quite filled bowl - been so long since I had this, and it was so good!
About 2 qts of the mushroom beef barley soup, left in the Instant Pot, after I had my fill! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushroom beef barley soup by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Vegan sausage, onion, red bell pepper, yellow squash, and mushrooms, served with whole wheat penne and dressed with homemade basil pesto.

WGlsYO8.jpg

Glass of Kunde zinfandel.

Last night's dinner simmering - Pork chops, onions, potatoes, sauerkraut, caraway & fennel seeds and pork gravy. (No plated picture, but just imagine it on a plate :angel:)

pork_chops_sauerkraut_101721_2_IMG_8802.jpg

Simply pasta and a salad.
Farfalle, portobello mushrooms, garlic, parsley - with some mushroom dust for extra intensity!
Farfalle with mushrooms.JPG

Back
Top Bottom