Need Suggestions for Chicken and Romaine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My wife wants to eat something healthy tonight. She went to the store and bought some chicken breasts and romaine lettuce. Give me your best suggestions as to what I can make with these main ingredients. We are looking for something quick and healthy :)

Thanks!

Grill the chicken, either marinated, or if you don't have the time sprinkle with your choice of herbs/spices... slice it up, take a flour tortilla or similar flat bread, pile up with the lettuce and if you like also some other vegs, like chopped tomatoes, red onion, shaved carrots etc, drizzle with ovoo and s&p, maybe some sliced black olives, then lay down the sliced chicken...that will make a hearty yet healthy roll up!!

Indeed, so simple yet delicious!! Also a splash of balsamic vinegar can add extra kick to it:) Hope you enjoy it!!

Buy or make some Jerk Seasoning, marinate the chicken in it for awhile, grill the chicken, and to the wrap thing, adding a little ranch dressing to help cut the fire.

That was one of the sandwiches at a club I used to work at. I loved them!

I do have some jerk seasoning that I love that is sitting in my cabinet. We brought it back from Jamaica. I have not used it in a while. Great idea Allen, thanks!

lke mish and allen's suggestions, i was thinking of korean bbq, where you use the lettuce as the wrap.

if you have an asian market nearby geebs, see if you can find bulgogi marinade, and maybe some bean paste.
marinate and grill or broil strips of chicken, wrap in lettuce with a shmear of the bean paste. serve with small bowls of tofu, kimchee, rice, etc...

If you haven't guessed, salads and fruit are some of my faves - so how about...

Grill the chicken (with seasonings/herbs of choice), thinly slice, add grape or cherry tomatoes, walnuts, chives or red onions, crumbled feta or blue cheese dressing. Serve over lettuce/mixed greens with garlic bread and sangria or wine.

Bulgogi marinade: 1/2 c soy sauce. 1/4 c rice vinegar (if you do not have, use a mild vinegar such as malt. Wine will also do, as will sherry or vermouth). A bit of sugar. A tsp of dried pepper flakes. A tsp of sesame seeds, or a 1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil. Since it is chicken breasts, you don't need to marinade for long (a couple of hours is plenty). This is a very forgiving marinade. For example, I've used honey and all sorts of jams and jellies instead of sugar, and almost any kind of pepper (for example, if I have a jalapeno in the fridge or cayenne in the garden, I'll use that).

Stir-frying the meat is always a good option too. As is southern-style barbecue. I know that it is probably a sacrilage, but I love barbecue on a bed of lettuce.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Here is what I did. DW put the chicken in Italian dressing to marinate. I went to the store and got some tortillas, tomatoes, shallots, avocado, and a mango. I took some avocado and spread that on the tortilla then put on strips of chicken. The rest of the ingredients were diced and were put on top. It was very tasty. Of course I gogot that she also bought romaine so that did not get used.

Claire said:
Bulgogi marinade: 1/2 c soy sauce. 1/4 c rice vinegar (if you do not have, use a mild vinegar such as malt. Wine will also do, as will sherry or vermouth). A bit of sugar. A tsp of dried pepper flakes. A tsp of sesame seeds, or a 1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil. Since it is chicken breasts, you don't need to marinade for long (a couple of hours is plenty). This is a very forgiving marinade. For example, I've used honey and all sorts of jams and jellies instead of sugar, and almost any kind of pepper (for example, if I have a jalapeno in the fridge or cayenne in the garden, I'll use that).

Stir-frying the meat is always a good option too. As is southern-style barbecue. I know that it is probably a sacrilage, but I love barbecue on a bed of lettuce.

thanks very much for this claire!!! bulgogi in illinois? who-da thunk it?

Believe me, Bucky, the oly place I know of in Illlinois to get bulgogi is ... at my house. I picked up a taste for Korean food in Hawaii. I'm sure there is Korean food in Chicago, but I'm nowhere near there! I'm more likely to use the marinade on beef ribs (kal bi) or flank steak because I don't have the hibachi you need to make good bulgogi. It is also very good on pork chops (you might make it a little sweeter). As far as I know there is only one Korean person in Galena, and she was adopted, so I think you're more likely to get Korean food at my house than at hers!! I also "do" kimchee and chop chae.

Hi GB, I give my 'Italian version' for chicken lemon and rosmarine ;-)

Here is it:

Roasted chicken lemon

1 whole chicken, 1 lemon (better if biological), salt, rosmarine, sage,a bit of pepper, olive oil

First of all, let's prepare the chicken! Clean it carefully, wash it also inside, but do not cut into pieces. Clean the lemon and using a forck, practise small holes,
then insert it into the chicken, whith rosmarine and sage and a bit of salt.
Use a big pirofila, drop 4 table spoon olive oil, and arrange the chicken, covering it with salt. Tha quantity of salt depends on dimensions of chicken, so first time you cook it, start with small quantities and if it doesn't result salty, next time use more.
Put into the oven at 180-200°C and cook it as far as the skin becomes crispy and gold-brown.
Before serving, take off the lemon and rosmarine.If you like spicy, use a bit of pepper mixed with salt, inside the chicken and over the skin.

Back
Top Bottom