Nov 13 2014, Thursday's Child ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it will be a boiled dinner made with a link of kielbasa, a ham steak, 1/2 a cabbage, celery, onions and carrots.

I will save the broth and a piece of ham to make some bean or split pea soup.

It's pretty early to tell, but I'm thinking I want to make up something new with some chicken tenders.

Second half of smoked mackerel. We can never eat the whole thing in one meal.

iFOof1mz4dSDs.JPG

ibre5GvXs1v6FJ.JPG

I have a seminar tonight, so I'm afraid dinner will be reheated leftovers. However, lunch was delicious. Or maybe I should say brunch, since it was a combination of breakfast and lunch.

In any case, I had a two-egg omelet with broccoli, mushrooms, cheese, and a side of bacon. :yum:

img_1397812_0_1ec383768f3f991cef25bd74128e64cf.jpg

Nice pics, Porco and Steve! :yum:

For some strange reason, DH keeps bringing home bags of frozen sliced okra. Other than in New Orleans gumbo, we usually don't eat okra. To save some freezer space, I'm making Creole style okra with the Trinity, canned tomatoes, and maybe some poached chicken.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creole-okra/

Last edited:
Nice pics, Porco and Steve! :yum:

For some strange reason, DH keeps bringing home bags of frozen sliced okra. Other than in New Orleans gumbo, we usually don't eat okra. To save some freezer space, I'm making Creole style okra with the Trinity, canned tomatoes, and maybe some poached chicken.

Creole Okra Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Batter fried okra is delicious, Dawg. You could also probably make okra fritters. I love okra so if you find a recipe for fried okra, please share it with me.

Thanks Z. I'll be batter frying the next bag. The dish I'm making isn't bad, really veggie though...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
Batter fried okra is delicious, Dawg. You could also probably make okra fritters. I love okra so if you find a recipe for fried okra, please share it with me.

Ooh, Ooh ...
with a remoulade sauce for dipping please :yum:
I'd never had fried Okra until this nice lady in Kailua
opened a 'Soul Food Restaurant' in the bowling alley
of all places.

I made baked chicken and mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese and green chiles. I am finally getting the jist of green chiles. Us gringoes might call them banana peppers, but that just separates us from the natives. The natives never call them peppers.

It's just me tonight. I had the leftover chicken from the other night with the last of the macaroni salad. Cherry turnover for dessert.

I finally ended up just frying the chicken tenders with butter, and seasoned with soy sauce, and garlic powder.

Thanks to Aunt Bea's reminder that I had cabbage in the bin where I couldn't see it and had forgotten my plan to make kielbasa and cabbage.

Since I had already planned to eat chicken tenders, I just used some of the cooked cabbage for a side, along with some brown rice made with turkey stock.

I nice little dinner, and different from my same old, same old stuff.

I really should do that more often - change things up in be a little different.

Tomorrow all I have to do is heat up the pot of cabbage and simmer some kielbasa for a few minutes. Easy peasy dinner.

Hatch chiles :yum:
Hatch chilis are not banana peppers.

I spent a summer in Santa Fe NM. At first I thought people were smoking pot, but I quickly realized they were selling huge quantities of Hatch chilis in the supermarket parking lots and roasting them as you wait. They used big cylindrical wire baskets that rotated over propane burners.

Freshly roasted Hatch chilis are the biggest thing I miss about Santa Fe.

Art walk was kind of cool too.

I'm having one of my favorite pork recipes. You start with thinly sliced pork chops. Any pork chops, the only important thing is thin. I like boneless and cut off all the fat so that all that remains is edible and healthy.

Make a marinade of soy sauce, honey and finely chopped brown onion. I like to use part Healthy Boy brand (Thailand) sweet, thick soy sauce. Buy it online, it's the molasses of the soy sauce world.

After marinating, I broil my pork chops, basting them with the marinade. I like to use a wire grill over a foil covered baking sheet, then pour off the juices and add them to any remaining marinade, then a quick boil for sterilization to turn it into a dipping sauce.

Brown rice and Lima beans will complete my dinner. I really like Lima beans, smothered in butter, salted and heavily peppered. I may chop some green onions on my brown rice, and butter of course. :)

Last edited:
When we ordered our Maine lobsters for our anniversary, we also had some stuffed oysters delivered. We froze them and baked them tonight with baked spuds and broccolini. Nice dinner, and easy peasy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom