NYC this weekend, dinner idea for it or 3/9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I'll be in NYC this weekend and am hoping BuckyTom can help me out with dinner ideas for when I'm there. Plus, curious how the weather is. Last weekend in Providence RI the snow was crazy. I froze my ears off:ohmy:

Tonight, DH is on his own and will be until Monday night. Dinner for him will be the MaidRites from two nights ago unless he wants to heat up the split pea soup I made last night that we didn't eat. It's frozen in Seal-A-Meal bags for later use.

I'll have Taco Bell in Houston tonight then hit the wrack early as work starts early for me in the morning. Tomorrow night, I'll eat at "99" in Boston. Their food is pretty good and it's close to the hotel, big plus.

How bout you? Cookin/eatin?

Last edited:
ok lefse, what part of nyc will you be visiting this weekend? if you're here on saturday and can make it to midtown or the upper west side, i would be happy to give you a tour of cbs, and maybe we could stop for a pint and a snack with my irish buddies.
also, what kind of food are you interested in trying? we have every nationality on earth right around this neighborhood.
abjcooking should be able to help you with suggestions more on the east side.

If you are in the mood for a good pastrami sandwhich...actually make that the BEST pastrami sandwich...then make sure to check out Katz's Deli.

buckytom said:
ok lefse, what part of nyc will you be visiting this weekend? if you're here on saturday and can make it to midtown or the upper west side, i would be happy to give you a tour of cbs, and maybe we could stop for a pint and a snack with my irish buddies.
also, what kind of food are you interested in trying? we have every nationality on earth right around this neighborhood.
abjcooking should be able to help you with suggestions more on the east side.
Manhattan, right in the heart of Ole Broadway. Around 45th and 8th. I can't do the pint thingie, as I'm allergic to beer. Yah, I know bummer huh? Anyhoo, I love all kinds of food and one of my favorite restaurants there is O'Connoly's I think it's called. Great food, Irish Pub and a fun place. Hum, when I get to the hotel, I'll check on the computer they have set up for us there. I'll come back into here and maybe we can meet up. I'm there all month, all weekends, so if not this weekend, another is fine too.:-p

Site Administrator

GB said:
Katz's will not let you down in that case. The only problem with their pastrami sandwich (and that IS the one you NEED to get) is that it will ruin all other pastrami for you forever. There really is no comparison.
Site Administrator, No problem ruin away, that may just be a good thing as I'm not usually a person who goes after the heart blocker:huh:
Profile: Location: USA,Massachusetts

If you are in the mood for a good pastrami sandwhich...actually make that the BEST pastrami sandwich...then make sure to check out Katz's Deli.

GB, I just got off the phone with Katz and he told me how to get there via the subway. I'll be hittin that joint up on one of these trips. I love a sandwich that's touted as the BEST........:huh:

Last edited:
Katz's will not let you down in that case. The only problem with their pastrami sandwich (and that IS the one you NEED to get) is that it will ruin all other pastrami for you forever. There really is no comparison.

good, you're right nearby. will you be here for st. pat's, next friday? the city gets a little crazy, but so long as you're not driving, it's a lot of fun.

i'll have to check out connoly's sometime. i wonder if anyone i know works there?
my regular pubs are on 57th street, dj reynolds, and kennedy's.
great craic (fun times, good conversation) in both places.

anyway, you pick the saturday, and i'll come get you. you're right near the letterman theatre, so i might be able to get us in backstage there. they don't shoot on weekends, but bring a camera, we'll get some shots of you on the stage.

hmmm, i think if i don't take you to katz's, gb might disown me...

Lef!!!

Katz's is ok (I liked 2nd Ave) but you are literally steps from BECCO Lidia Bastianich's excellent restaurant. Katz's is like 5 miles away and not the easiest of subway rides. If you do go there, try to hit Russ and Daughters, too. It's a cool foodie place.

Also, about the 99..... If you live here, it's an ok place to eat. If you don't live here and there isn't anything else close, it's an ok place. But otherwise there is soooooooooo much good food here in Boston!!! Where is your hotel? There are lots of 99's (it's a chain).

Last edited:
LOL bucky I am sure you can show her some much better places than Katz's. I know you would not let her down.

I agree with you jenny there there are much better delis than Katz's. No one can touch their pastrami though. I have dreams about it every month or so. I feel one coming on tonight :)

Wow I missed that part about the 99's. Jenny is right on about that place. It is decent, but you can do so much better. The 99's is a chain. it is a great place to go if you have kids as most of the food is very kid friendly. Boston is filled with amazing places to eat from dives that are dirt cheap to very fancy places that you need to take a second mortgage out just to even look at the menu. You can do much better than the 99's that is for sure!

NYC and eateries, the selection is endless! You might want to post the question in the Road Forum catagory. Are you looking for a dinner recipe or places to dine? What is your price range and what types of food/cuisines do you enjoy? Suggestion - go to frommer's. You will find off-the-beaten path restaurants and right-on-the-money reviews.

Some suggestions - The Plaza, Trump Towers, Tavern on the Green, The Four Seasons...the list goes on and on. There are some great little places in the East and West Village, as well. If you're hankering for a sandwich, try The Stage Deli. If it's your first time in NYC, I would go for the best restaurants, rather than a deli.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
good, you're right nearby. will you be here for st. pat's, next friday? the city gets a little crazy, but so long as you're not driving, it's a lot of fun.

i'll have to check out connoly's sometime. i wonder if anyone i know works there?
my regular pubs are on 57th street, dj reynolds, and kennedy's.
great craic (fun times, good conversation) in both places.

anyway, you pick the saturday, and i'll come get you. you're right near the letterman theatre, so i might be able to get us in backstage there. they don't shoot on weekends, but bring a camera, we'll get some shots of you on the stage.

hmmm, i think if i don't take you to katz's, gb might disown me...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not there for St. Patty's day, will be shortly only in Boston again. Since I'm on my way out of dodge, I'll check computer tonight when I get to hotel in Houston
~~~~~~~~~~~
Jennyema, I am only there for abou 12 hours and it is very close, walkable from the hotel I'm staying in. Otherwise, I'd eat in the hotel and I know that's not all that wonderful.
Also, I know of wonderful places to eat in NYC, but wanted BuckyTom to add his ideas as he's said he'd do that for me before.

Last edited:
lol, lefse, this is like a conversation with my wife.
"where do you wanna eat?"

"i don't know, where do you want to eat?"

"i don't know, you decide"

"no, you decide."

ok, so i won't let you eat in the hotel. a lot of it depends on the $$$ you're willing to spend. the places mish and jenny mentioned are excellent but are pricey. if it's on an open expense account, well then ny's your oyster. lots of great places to eat. if you're budgeting, then i'll try to find a place near your hotel of the food you'd like to try.

hmm alergic to beer, huh? makes you wonder if there's a god sometimes...

oh, i forgot, it's supposed to be very warm here this weekend, around 60F.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
lol, lefse, this is like a conversation with my wife.
"where do you wanna eat?"

"i don't know, where do you want to eat?"

"i don't know, you decide"

"no, you decide."

ok, so i won't let you eat in the hotel. a lot of it depends on the $$$ you're willing to spend. the places mish and jenny mentioned are excellent but are pricey. if it's on an open expense account, well then ny's your oyster. lots of great places to eat. if you're budgeting, then i'll try to find a place near your hotel of the food you'd like to try.

hmm alergic to beer, huh? makes you wonder if there's a god sometimes...

oh, i forgot, it's supposed to be very warm here this weekend, around 60F.
:wacko: Geez Bucky that sounds like the same convo my husband and I had just a little while ago- I have a late client coming and won't be able to cook tonight-that doesn't sound right- don't know if I mentioned I'm a hairdresser.:LOL:

One more thing didn't the 2nd Ave deli close a few months ago???

(((Jennyema))) I am sorry. There's a deli not far from me- actually in New jersey (Montvale) that a friend of mine likened to 2nd Ave.I have never been to 2nd Ave but, I have been to the one in Montvale and it is pretty good -so if you're ever this way- I'll take you to lunch!!!

vicki, is the montvale roller skating rink still there?
that was my teenage hunting grounds, many moons ago. i still think of that place every time i hear ac/dc.

also, what about sutter's mill, and ireland's in suffern?

I'm making some chicken tacos topped with shredded lettuce, Mexican rice and refried beans(without oil) -my son's favorite. I may even bake a chocolate cake or brownies for dessert.

buckytom said:
vicki, is the montvale roller skating rink still there?
that was my teenage hunting grounds, many moons ago. i still think of that place every time i hear ac/dc.

also, what about sutter's mill, and ireland's in suffern?
Yuppers the roller rink is still there- spent alot of Fri nights there myself in jr high and high school. I live about 2 blocks away from Sutter's in Suffern and am probably going to end up going to Ireland's for dinner tonight or NY Steakhouse on RT 17 in Ramsey

OK, help, I must have hit a wrong button that posted these. :eek: Can someone please help me delete it?

Last edited:
Lefse,

Here are a few places I might reccomend depending on what you are wanting.

Blue Water Grill- Union Square, Seafood (reservations reccomended)

Becco-

Back
Top Bottom