Octopus.. Have you tried it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was at a small Sushi joint called "Sushi Three", it is located about 15 mins. outside the city of Pittsburgh. Sushi is a real commodity here.

I love fresh octopus, it is one of my favorite things to order here in Isla Mujeres, MX. It is delicious in ceviche, cocktails, soup, tacos, paella, risotto...but my absolute favorite is when it's grilled with garlic & lime. Yum!!!

Ok , well, I simply couldnt wait and broke down today. I went to a local sushi resteraunt and had Yellowtail and Salmon rolls and 2 shashimi grade octopus strips.

As for the octopus...
They were delicious and the texture was ideal, not rubbery at all, not too chewy. It has a slight sweetness to it which is hard to describe.

that's the stuff!!!!

next time, try something called hokkigai, or surf clam. aka arctic or atlantic surf clam.

it's the half red, half white-ish piece of fish that looks sort of like a crab claw.

same idea: subtle sweetness, firm texture. NOT ear cartiledge...:ermm:;)

I eat baby octopus all the time, most notably in seafood chowder and the like.

Delicious.

EDIT: Surf clam rocks my world. It tastes like the ocean, but with a hint of sweetness and just the right amount of chew. I could probably eat a pound in a sitting when paired with the right beer (note: in this case, Orion is the right beer).

I had some octopus at an italian restaurant the other night. It was in a pasta along with vegetables and some bland oil sauce. It was different.

I had some sauted in a garlic butter sauce in Mexico last week. It was by far the best meal I had there. Tender and spiced just right.

WONDERFUL!!!!
Can't wait to have some more.

Wish I knew how to cook it.

Sorry, don't think I will be trying it any time soon. While I love calimari, I can't eat squid any other way. I gag on the rubberiness. Can't eat oysters, sardines or herring for the same reason - I just gag.

So, someone else can have my share of octopus!

Like PDSwife said, octopus (pulpo) is plentiful on the coast of Mexico and very yummy. Very good in ceviche or a mixed seafood (mariscos) soup. For my taste, I like it to be thoroughly cleaned of the sort of slimy "skin" or outer membrane, especially if it goes in ceviche or soup. If it's grilled, that part sort of melts away. But I have never had it taste tough or rubbery, and it is very common in every fish market, so lots of people eat it here. Except my DH - won't touch it. But then, he doesn't like oysters, either.

Except my DH - won't touch it. But then, he doesn't like oysters, either.

Well, if you and your DH ever dine together with me and mine, you and my DH can have all the octopus and oysters you want and your DH and I can enjoy some good non-slimy seafood!:LOL:

I put in octopus in gumbo that my husband loves. I always skip eating it; don't like the thought of chewing on tentacles. Ick!

Sorry, don't think I will be trying it any time soon. While I love calimari, I can't eat squid any other way. I gag on the rubberiness. Can't eat oysters, sardines or herring for the same reason - I just gag.

So, someone else can have my share of octopus!

If it gets too rubbery I can't stand it either, but I have never had rubbery herring?? I love it in wine sauce on crackers! I have tried oysters cooked in the shell and fried, yuck both times! I still cant get myself to try em raw yet, but got DW to do it, LOL. I never liked sardines either until ALDI had em for awhile, in the can, in either a mustard sauce, mushroom sauce, or wine sauce. I actually did like them in the mushrooms sauce.

If it gets too rubbery I can't stand it either, but I have never had rubbery herring??

Sorry, Maverick! I didn't mean to imply that all those things are rubbery - I just get the same gag reaction when I try to eat them. Mussels and clams are difficult too. But anchovies, now those I will eat!

Back
Top Bottom