Oddest Food Combination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

affable_artist

Assistant Cook
Growing up in a family of 3 boys, 1 girl and a single mom, sometimes our food selection was scarce and a lot of times what ever we had didn't go with anything.

But we always had peanut butter. Peanut butter, bread and milk.

In the kitchen at work today, a coworker and I were talking about strange food combinations. I explained what I've said above and mentioned that one "experiment" that worked out well for me was cooked ramen noodles on top of a slice of bread with peanut butter. She thought it the oddest creation she'd ever heard of.

Her contribution was a toasted bagel with salsa on it.

What's the strangest, most non-conventional meal you've tried and loved?
:chef:

it's probably not that odd at all, but it's worked for me in my WW quest.
peanut butter sandwich [on ultra high fiber bread] with 2 or 3 slices of bacon.
dr. wishes I ate more protein and the way I make the bacon, with as little floating in the fat as I can do, I think it's that added protein. Oh, and it's Butterball turkey 65% less fat bacon.

blues cheese and dark chocolate, believe it or not, very good.

I think I can imagine the blue cheese complimenting the sweetness of chocolate... and they both have a tart or bitter taste that would work together... I might have to try this!

Just curious - how did you stumble across this concoction?

Aw, umm...I love vanilla ice cream with crushed up potato chips. I also like beer and M&Ms. Yep, I'm a little strange. I'm sure there are other combinations I am not remembering at the moment, but these were the first that came to mind.

This isn't that odd, but its the only thing I could think of.

for specials sometime I run a pan seared duck breast with a banana foster and jalapeno sauce.

basicly a gastrique made with bananas, sugar, vinegar, butter, rum, and jalapenos, served over a crispy medium rare duck breast.

I think I can imagine the blue cheese complimenting the sweetness of chocolate... and they both have a tart or bitter taste that would work together... I might have to try this!

Just curious - how did you stumble across this concoction?

Comes from a classic French preparation, like a now popular molten center cake, and is perhaps the BEST way to eat chocolate I have ever encountered. Got turned on to it while living in Holland, then had the best gateaux in England(where there IS AWESOME FOOD too).

I have adapted a blue cheese cheese cake, with port poached pears, and accented with just a couple of really nice, dark chocolate truffles on the side. Was a hit after some convincing.

Smokey Blues are a wonderful truffle, available to purchase online, and makes a great intro into the combo.

Last edited:
I am having trouble with this. Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are one of the loves of my culinary life. If you have never tried one I am sorry.

But then again peanut butter goes well with so many things.

One combination I would never have thought of though is a chicken liver omelet.

It is not for the cholesterol shy but it works - I had one in a diner one time. It was outrageous.

It contained I would guess about a half pound of livers, but little else. And the livers were whole.

Thinking about it, I would probably have quartered the livers, added caramelized onions, also some onions that were just barely sweated, and crumbled bacon bits.

On top either a savory tomato sauce or perhaps a sweet sauce, perhaps one made out of apricot jam.

Just thinking our loud. Think it might work - at least for me.

I tend not to remember all of the strange food combinations I have ever had. There has been a few! The most recent concoction was bacon topped with baked beans and canned shrimp covered in parmesan and cooked until the parmesan had melted. (The bacon was par-coooked first of all.) Very tasty and very little fat as the bacon was zapped and had most of the fat removed.

When I was a kid, one of my preferred snacks was to get a milk chocolate wheaten biscuit, spread cream cheese over it and top with a dob of Vegemite.

In Australia, we get little sweets called Raspberries - they are just jelly a bit like a jube without the sugar coating. Anyway, I think they go very well with green cocktail onions.

strawberries and black pepper.

never tried it myself but it`s supposed to work quite well, another one is Tobacco in chocolate, I wouldn`t try that on Principal, but apparently it`s quite nice and sells well???

My father puts black pepper and oil on orange slices. I have never had it.

In the kitchen at work today, a coworker and I were talking about strange food combinations. I explained what I've said above and mentioned that one "experiment" that worked out well for me was cooked ramen noodles on top of a slice of bread with peanut butter. She thought it the oddest creation she'd ever heard of.

Her contribution was a toasted bagel with salsa on it.

What's the strangest, most non-conventional meal you've tried and loved?
:chef:

I don't find either of those that strange (maybe that says something about me :LOL:). The noodles with peanut butter thing sounds like a poor students version of Pad Thai (if you really use your imagination).

Speaking of poor students, the weirdest food combos ever (and no one will beat this I am sure) came from my old college roommate. Just one of the many weird things he would do is take a hot dog roll and put a few scoops of ice cream in it. He would then put bologna on top then. After that would come the ketchup (he put ketchup on EVERYTHING). Then to top it off came the fried egg. He was Thai and tried to convince us that everyone in Thailand ate this snack. When I spoke to his mom once she said he was full of it and that his "snack" sounded like the most repulsive thing she had ever heard of and no on in Thailand would eat something like that.

my personal Strangest was when I spent some time in a mental hospital (No I`m not crazy, someone had spiked my drink with LSD and it affected me VERY badly).
the food there was pretty awful and there wasn`t enough of it either (not sure if that was actually a Blessing!), so in the middle of the night I would sneak out across the hall to the rec room to the other side towards the kitchen, now they Always locked that, but I found I could slide in through the Serving hatch (they didn`t lock that).
well there was nothing really in there, just several loaves of bread for morning toast, a few boxes of bland cerial and this jar of Mayo in the condiments cuboard.
so I made mixed Mayonaise and bran flakes in a bowl and put that on some bread slices (taken from the middle of the loaf) and ate that for 5 nights on the run :)

no one ever found out either :cool:

Wow, I never had peanut butter with bacon on a sandwich. I guess I'll have to try it someday. Can I ask, is it like making grilled cheese? Do you toast the bread and then spread on the peanut butter and cooked bacon slices? Sounds like something my 4-year old would actually eat, he's so picky about food, but loves peanut butter & bacon, just never had it together. TIA.

The strangest combo my mom fixed us growing up is really not all that strange I guess. She would brown some Spam cubes and add a little tomato sauce and then a can of green beans (had to be canned, not frozen or fresh) with the juice and then serve it over rice. I still like it.

When my ex-husband was growing up they used to make what they called "weiner soup" (I know, it sounds scary!). They were poor and had to make due with what they had. It was basicly potatoes, carrots and hot dogs cooked in water. When I was raising my kids and got low on money, I thought I'd give it a try. It wasn't bad. I updated it with onions, celery and chicken broth, fancied it up with a bay leaf and some thyme, now I make it every now and then just because it's easy.

My father used to put milk on his jello.

strawberries and black pepper.

never tried it myself but it`s supposed to work quite well, another one is Tobacco in chocolate, I wouldn`t try that on Principal, but apparently it`s quite nice and sells well???

Hey there, YT. I know that Heston Blumenthal has a show over the pond He deals with these types of combos on a molecular level and explains why they work together.

Chili and Chocolate have been a LONG standing standard in South America since the time of the Incas.

As for the strawberries and pepper, I used to do a hulled strawberry stuffed with rosemary scented chevre, then just lightly roll the cheese part on cracked black pepper. Great combo.

DH used to eat peanut butter and bread with spaghetti - :ohmy:, one of my sons ex-girlfriends always ate salt and vinegar chips with pizza !

Back
Top Bottom