Official Dinner Thread for Monday the 31st ©

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Dinner was an open faced meatball sub. What was your dinner like?

6B7AE785-C717-43CD-960B-90B893EDCBC1_1_105_c.jpg

Vegetable soup and a large salad of lettuce/tomatoes/pickles/black beans/broccoli, with a tomato based dressing.

I cooked everything in the oven tonight. We had pork tenderloin seasoned with Dijon mustard, granulated garlic, and Herbs de Provence; carrots with Aleppo pepper; Yukon gold potatoes with Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute; and beets with fresh grated nutmeg. My counter was a conga line of cooking vessels, one going in every 15 minutes.

IMG_20220131_204829292_HDR.jpg

Now I want to do a conga line.

Andy, what kind of meatballs? And that cheese melt again...

My wife made penne in tomato, basil, and cream sauce tonight using up the last of my fresh basil. I'm amazed that I was able to keep it growing from last summer.

I baked some store bought, breaded haddock and steak "fries". I made some cole slaw. The haddock was served with homemade remoulade and lemon wedges. There was malt vinegar for the "fries".

Breaded haddock, oven steak fries, cole slaw, remoulade, small.jpg

More leftovers for dinner.. But for lunch, I made a 2 egg omelette, with a slice of lebanon bologna, chopped up, and some slices of sharp cheddar folded up in it. Delicious!

I wish I could eat at everyone's houses tonight.

Just curious, Andy. I'm with ya on the eye-talian style meataballs - ingredient for ingredient as listed, but I'd love to know your etceteras.

taxy, haddock is so hard to find here, for some strange reason. Fluke and flounder are very similar, but also not always available.
And damn the Brit penchant for "proper" fries, steak fries are my fave. The best of both crispy AND "meaty".
My parrots love them. They "crack" open the crust with precision and eat the meaty, starchy interiors, dropping the spent husks to the floor.

pepp, Lebanon balogna is such a treat. I love to eat it with slices of a sharp swiss cheese,
Every time we go to eastern Pennsylvania, I try to find some. And Stolfutz cured meats. And duck eggs, and roll butter.

Last edited:
I wish I could eat at everyone's houses tonight.

Just curious, Andy. I'm with ya on the eye-talian style meataballs - ingredient for ingredient as listed, but I'd love to know your etceteras.

taxy, haddock is so hard to find here, for some strange reason. Fluke and flounder are very similar, but also not always available.
And damn the Brit penchant for "proper" fries, steak fries are my fave. The best of both crispy AND "meaty".
My parrots love them. They "crack" open the crust with precision and eat the meaty, starchy interiors, dropping the spent husks to the floor.

pepp, Lebanon balogna is such a treat. I love to eat it with slices of a sharp swiss cheese,
Every time we go to eastern Pennsylvania, I try to find some. And Stolfutz cured meats. And duck eggs, and roll butter.

The haddock I get is from Nova Scotia. I get it with my "produce" basket. The steak fries came frozen in a bag (not with the produce basket, though). We are not impressed. We won't be getting those again. The regular kind turn out crispier.

The haddock I get is from Nova Scotia. I get it with my "produce" basket. The steak fries came frozen in a bag (not with the produce basket, though). We are not impressed. We won't be getting those again. The regular kind turn out crispier.

Yeah, frozen fries are hit and miss. Maybe you could use an AF, Ask Andy..

j/k

Andy, your meatball recipe looks good. Pretty much the same way that I learned from and old Italian coworkers's mother's recipe (that I nagged him for until he capitulated). He said you make meatballs in trees.

Trees?

Yes, one, two tree.

One pound a' beef, one pound a' veal, and one pound a' pork. And tree (3) eggs.

Now ya gotta eye it.

About 1/3 of the volume of meat in breadcrumbs, and 1/3rd of the volume of meat in grated Romano, and about, maybe less of the amount in breadcrumbs.

Use milk to adjust moisture.

I'm gonna have to try the olive oil in your recipe instead.

I cooked everything in the oven tonight. We had pork tenderloin seasoned with Dijon mustard, granulated garlic, and Herbs de Provence; carrots with Aleppo pepper; Yukon gold potatoes with Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute; and beets with fresh grated nutmeg. My counter was a conga line of cooking vessels, one going in every 15 minutes.

View attachment 50873

I love Herbs d' P. I often make an infused sour cream with the blend to go on mashed taters. Going to have to try that on dijon rubbed pork.

I make something similar by rubbing the tenderloin in coarse grain dijon, the sprinkling heavily with fennel seeds and roasting. Try it sometime.

Back
Top Bottom