Official Dinner Thread for Saturday 1/18/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO's appetite hasn't been very good since her surgery. Dinners have been light meals for her and whatever I can gin up quickly for myself.

Any plans for you dinners?

Salmon Loaf

Still working my way through an old-fashioned salmon loaf. One of my Mom's staples. Threw in some minced onion, jalapeno, spinach, and celery, as per "what looks good that I have on hand."

I am making some curried pumpkin soup from an old James Beard recipe, but that is for lunch later in the week, not dinner.

Last edited:
Andy, I hope SO is feeling better very soon.

I baked a pan of brownies. Completely burned the bottoms of the Whole Pan.
I guess it's good to know the oven still cooks evenly.

Dinner is practically ready whenever we want-- warmed up vegetable beef soup.

Last edited:
Yes Andy ..Best wishes for your SO..
I have a craving for good ol' chicken and dumplings..I make it a bit different here..we cook chicken pieces and use the pan to make the gravy and dumplings,. Then, serve it like a chicken dinner with veggies on the side..

first effort with the Ninja Slow Cooker function...
Beef & Broccoli...

Beef & Broccoli.jpg

SO's appetite hasn't been very good since her surgery. Dinners have been light meals for her and whatever I can gin up quickly for myself...

We ended up with scrambled eggs and a griddled English muffin for SO. I had a grilled ham and cheddar sandwich and tater tots. Oh, and ketchup for a veggie.

I wanted to cook, but just wasn't up for it. So, we ordered from Mr. Falafel. Stirling had the shish taouk platter and I had the falafel platter. We shared, a little. We also had some of the pickled beets we made about two weeks ago. The hot ones are not very hot. Either they need to be mixed up better, or they need to sit a bit longer. There was some heat. They were still good. The plain ones are perfect. We had rosé wine with supper and are very happy with it.

We tried a new place tonight, Yardhouse. A bit of a drive and there isn't much parking so you are basically forced to use valet, but the food was pretty good. It's a sports bar that serves upscale bar/gastronomy pub type food. We had deviled eggs with candied bacon, spicy tomato sauce, chili sauce and chives for an appy. We both had street tacos for our meal. Craig had carne asada with rice and beans. He said all were pretty spicy and had a good flavor. Mine were a Vampire taco, with a crispy cheese outer crust with carnitas and chorizo, and an al pastor with pork belly, fresh pineapple and finely chopped red onion. DessertS were cheesecake brulee and espressos.

My tacos.

Attachments

• 2020-01-18 20.32.00.jpg
    2020-01-18 20.32.00.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
We've eaten at The Yardhouse here Med, and the appetizers are quite good and innovative.
Tonight we had rare fried loin lamb chops with Elote Mexican street corn off the cob and steamed broccoli. :yum:

Attachments

• P1180030.jpg
    P1180030.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
We had leftovers, but before those we had salads. "Fancy salads" is what Himself called them. Romaine and spinach topped with French feta cheese, roasted pears, sauteed prosciutto, and pistachios.
IMG_20200118_201517966.jpg

We had potato, onion, and kielbasa soup. I had a salad and some cheesey naan bread to go with it. Mom had a sliced tomato to go with hers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom