Official Dinner Thread for Tuesday the 1st

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
We did NOT have American Chop Suey for dinner tonight.

I was thinking about the recipe and had a flash. What if I substituted Italian sausage for the ground beef? Then I could call it Italian Chop Suey! So that's what I did. I also added some Italian seasoning.

It looks about the same and tastes pretty good!

BCF7CF87-A316-492B-A970-4377B3FA0BA6_1_201_a.jpg

A deconstructed (Vegan) Chicken Pot Pie ( this is just a pic of the sauce), and a Vegan Baked Broccoli with Cheese.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.33.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.33.27 PM.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.33.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 8.33.41 PM.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 29
We had a "scrounge night". We managed to finish most of the cold cuts that were getting near their expiry.

Breaded chicken cutlet, Knorr creamy chicken pasta & rice side, and steamed asparagus (topped with butter and Parmigiano Reggiano & pecorino Romano cheeses).

chicken_asparagus_030122_img_9342-jpg.48350

Being outside, and busy with garden stuff (it's that time!), last night I made a quick cooked cucumber dal, with a sort of pachadi on the side. The pachadi had the rest of the cucumbers in id, along with some carrot, also shredded, and a mix of cooked brown rice and barley (frozen about a week ago). Tonight, I had the leftovers from that, plus some miniature khakhra, made with 4 different whole grain flours. The khakhra are miniature crispy ones, which I pressed with a tortilla press, and weighted them briefly in the pan with some ramekins - tried a heavy pan, but they stuck to it!
A cooked cucumber dish, with chana dal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tarka added to the cucumber /carrot pachadi. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooking some khakhra, with 2 ramekins used as the weights. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished, crispy khakhra by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pepperhead, I've never heard or seen that kind of dish with cucumbers and coconut before. It caught my interest because I have some coconut flesh I froze and it would be nice to find a main dish with some in it. Is this pachadi, savory? Is it eaten in a bowl, or on bread (like your crispy bread shown)?

blissful I think you must mean the carrot that I put with the cucumber (I thought that maybe I had mis-typed it, so I read it thoroughly, and no coconut mentioned). But here is the recipe I based it on - pretty much the same, except for that barley I had with my rice. They don't call it a pachadi - I just called it that since it is basically the same as one, with the brown rice added.
https://www.tarladalal.com/cucumber-and-carrot-curd-brown-rice-low-salt-recipe-42017r

Here is a coconut pachadi, with no cucumber, however. They use the word pachadi interchangeably with raita, in the southern regions, and they almost always have the tempering spices added.
https://www.tarladalal.com/cucumber-and-carrot-curd-brown-rice-low-salt-recipe-42017r

When they call for "curds", they are referring to yogurt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom