Official Dinner Thread Friday the 27th©

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Delivered pizzas. Meat Lovers for me and SO had Spinach and Garlic.

IMG_0103.jpg

I made Linda's pot o' pig. I served it with fingerling potatoes and an experimental dish, sautéed radish greens with radish and feta. That vegi dish has real potential, but it does need a bit of tweaking. DH found it a little more bitter than he would have preferred, but it was full of bold flavour. I also serve some pickled beets with supper.

Linda's pot 'o pig, potatoes, pickled beets, and radish greens with radish and feta cropped.jpg Linda's pot 'o pig, potatoes, pickled beets, and radish greens with radish and feta one plate.jpg

Uno's deep dish pizza was on sale this week. I brought home two for the freezer, bit the sausage one never made it in. Instead, Himself though it would be good for supper. I added black olives to my "half", the last of the pepperoni to his, and baked it up. We shared it - 60/40 since he can eat pizza practically every day.

I really love Middle Eastern flavors. Last night I tried a Lebanese 7-Spice seasoning on grilled chicken. Oh my, that was good. DH also grilled an onion and a zucchini and we had them with pita, tzatziki, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and a bit of feta cheese. So good.
20220527_202922~2.jpg

Easy comfort food from leftovers, I give you Gemelli in Ragu Sauce.
Ingredients:
1 cup dried gemelli pasta
6 oz. leftover tomato paste
3/4 lb. leftover bear sausage (from my son's bear last August)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary 1/2 tsp.
1/2 tsp. granulated onion powder
minced garlic from a used jar
2 1/2 cups water
2 tbs. Extra virgin olive oil.

Heat oil to shimmering in a sauce pot. Add sausage. Break up into little chunks, but no too little. Brown over medium heat. Add garlic, onion powder, and herbs. cook for 3 more minutes. Add tomato paste and water. Stir to mix well. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add pasta. simmer for twenty minutes, or until pasta has absorbed the excess water, and is al dente.

Cooking the pasta in the sauce releases starches, which thicken the sauce. Also, the sauce flavors the pasta, and coats it wonderfully. My meal came out with an almost perfect flavor, even without adding any cheese. The sausage was good, but I'd have preferred ground beef.

To go with the pasta, I made a comfort beverage, again from leftovers: Hot cocoa with a scoop each of good vanilla, and chocolate ice cream, with canned whipped cream on top. I love the juxtaposition of the steaming hot chocolate, and cold ice cream.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole milk
3 heaping tsp. Steven" hot cocoa mix
1 tbs. malted milk powder (finished that container off)
1 tsp. Hershey's cocoa
Lucerne whipped cream in a squirt can
1 small scoop Beyers vanilla ice cream
1 small scoop Bryer's chocolate ice cream

This almost used up the last of a carton of Bryer's Neapolitan. I didn't want the strawberry flavor in my hot cocoa.

Heat the milk until steaming hot in microwave. Add malt, and cocoa powders. Mix well until all is completely dissolved. Add ice cream. Top with whipped cream.

I recommend eating the ice cream, and whipped cream with a spoon, to get the contrasting temperatures of the hot cocoa, and ice cream, Then, eat the pasta, which is now just the right temperature for eating. Finish by drinking remaining hot cocoa. It' desert.

I have enough leftover pasta for lunch, and another dinner meal.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20220527_223420.jpg
    20220527_223420.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220527_224002.jpg
    20220527_224002.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom