Oh, Boy! Monday's Kitchen Again...10/26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Dinner on Monday...

Slab of Prime Rib, seared on the flat Iron Skillet, Diced Fried Spuds with Onions, Tomato, Corn & Okra Blend, and the Salad...

Prime Rib, Okra Blend.jpg

Beef stew with veges of carrots, parsnip, potatoes and mushies.

Attachments

• 2020-10-26 19.15.04.jpg
    2020-10-26 19.15.04.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 76
We had orange chicken over rice with TJ's help and the addition of stir-fried onion, red and green peppers and mushrooms. The sauce was doctored with the zest and juice from a Halo/Cutie.

50BFBC0F-7A7F-4439-84EA-E35AD346F6C0_1_105_c.jpg

Yummy looking suppers.

We had leftovers from our recent Indian meal: lamb curry and a lentil curry. We also had some leftover falafel, tabbouleh, coleslaw, toum, and hummus. We had that with the last of the brown basmati rice from the freezer. There's enough of the lamb curry left for me to have a snack.

We also had leftovers! Same dinner as last night: Grilled flank steak with tortillas and guacamole. The tortillas are not as yummy when reheated.

We finally ran out of leftovers! I made loaded garden salads, followed by butternut squash ravioli with a browned butter-sage sauce and a handful of toasted chopped walnuts.
IMG_20201026_211654588.jpgIMG_20201026_211709591.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

We've got a cold snap, yesterday it was 72°, today we only got up to 46° !!!
I as fortunately enough to get Steamed Fish Cake or Kamaboko from our small Asian Market, who's only open when they feel like it :glare: but none the less I still had two in the deep freeze, along with a new batch of my homemade Char Siu or Chinese BBQ Pork, what some of you are calling Red Pork...

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

Also, I had two bags of Trader Joe's Potstickers. I just quickly boil them if they're going into soup, a dumpling is a dumpling, right?!

IMG_6513.jpg

The noodles are unique to Hawaii, they're called Saimin, so yummy. We like the S&S brand,
I found some nice Baby Bok Choy to add to the bowl as well.

Back home in Hawaii, we just call this a Won Tun Mein Deluxe Bowl!
We call it wonderful here in the middle of the desert :yum:

Only one thing was missing from this "local-style meal" ...
DH: HEH! Where's the BBQ Meat Stick? I always order those with my Won Tun Mein Deluxe!"

:LOL:

Next time!

*Please give a read to the Wikipedia links

K-Girl. I so love Char Siu. Haven't made it in a long time. (lazy old fool)

Our dinner was open face sandwiches, using the pot roast and gravy from yesterday. Just as good as the original pot roast dinner. :yum:

Lemon cake and a glass of California Moscato was dessert.

Ross

Colavita Mezzi Rigatoni, meatballs (homemade and portioned for freezer) in plain sauce (with fresh - garlic, onion, basil, wine, olive oil and spices added) topped with grated Parmigiano Reggiano & Pecorino Romano cheeses.

rigatoni_meatballs_102620_IMG_7324.JPG

Everything looks wonderful!

K-Girl, how do you make the red pork?

Kathleen, I've tried a few different ways, none of them the "traditional way from scratch" :blush:

I've use Lee Kum Kee jarred stuff:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede.../07/24/char-siu-or-chinese-bar-b-que-chicken/

I've tried Noh brand from Hawaii two ways:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2019/02/11/4512/
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2019/03/17/homemade-char-siu-round-two/

I've tried a coupla jarred sauces from Hawaii as well:
hawaiian pride char siu sauce.jpg

lums char siu sauce.jpeg

mid pac foods char siu sauce.jpeg

This one though, I'm pretty sure you could find in your neck of the woods:
lee kum kee char siu sauce.jpg

I like to marinade the meat (not just Pork btw) for 24-48 hours, the longer the better IMHO anyways.

edit> I forgot to add that this last go-around, as I use broiling the meat to get those charred edges, I brushed the Pork with just a little Honey, I saw a man in Hawaii doing that :idea:

Last edited:
Kathleen, I've tried a few different ways, none of them the "traditional way from scratch" :blush:
edit> I forgot to add that this last go-around, as I use broiling the meat to get those charred edges, I brushed the Pork with just a little Honey, I saw a man in Hawaii doing that :idea:

I am sad.. :(

Because you reminded me of how much I love Char Siu, I attempted to find my recipe, from the 70's, to enjoy it again.

The recipe is nowhere to be found. "Yet"

Ross

Because you reminded me of how much I love Char Siu, I attempted to find my recipe, from the 70's, to enjoy it again.

Ross

Ross, I watched this video last night as a matter of fact, and when I run out of my "stash" of premade marinades from Hawaii, I'm going to try it this way. I saw that our Costco had Pork Belly :clap: although DH doesn't care for the fattier cuts of meat :glare: oh well, more for me :LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsZgaHoq6c

... I like to marinade the meat (not just Pork btw) for 24-48 hours, the longer the better IMHO anyways.

I made this recipe for last night's dinner and it was amazing: https://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-barbecued-pork-char-siu-cooks-illustrated-408646

For this recipe, they recommend marinating the meat for not more than four hours or it will get too salty. I didn't have red food coloring, so I left it out.

Also, it combines some reserved marinade with honey and ketchup for glazing the pork during broiling.

Ross
Maybe you'll like the one I posted above. I served it over rice with smashed cucumbers and peppers.
2020-10-28-13-25-54.jpg2020-10-28-13-26-39.jpg

K-Girl & GG

Both look good. :)

I've never used anything but pork tenderloin. The recipe was from the first cook book I'd ever purchased. It was roasted, hanging in the oven on S hooks.

For 40+ years I kept the book and when I entered the computer world, there was always a file copy. It must have disappeared in setting up my new laptop last December.
When I left California, I let the let all of my cook books go to new homes. Wish I had kept just that one book.

Ross

Ross, do you remember the name of that cook book?

Not with today's brain slowing.

It was a book of Chinese regional cooking. I can't recall the author, either.

Up to that time, late 70's, I did grilling and the occasional breakfast. My mother gifted me with a Wok set and I took to Chinese cooking, with a passion. I found that cook book and it was on. My first wife was a wonderful cook so, until she passed, I stayed with Asian dishes, which she didn't do.

Hopefully, the author or name of the cook book will come to me and I will attempt to hunt it down again.

Ross

Not with today's brain slowing.

It was a book of Chinese regional cooking. I can't recall the author, either.

Up to that time, late 70's, I did grilling and the occasional breakfast. My mother gifted me with a Wok set and I took to Chinese cooking, with a passion. I found that cook book and it was on. My first wife was a wonderful cook so, until she passed, I stayed with Asian dishes, which she didn't do.

Hopefully, the author or name of the cook book will come to me and I will attempt to hunt it down again.

Ross

I searched for book of Chinese regional recipes 1970s

This jumped out at me. Vintage Chinese Cookbooks on Pinterest. Do any of those books look familiar?

Back
Top Bottom