OK - I cheated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave, I know you like hot stuff. I have 2 large binders full of recipes sorted by the type of hot peppers that they call for. I got as far as Jalapeno looking for a chocolate cake recipe (with no luck, sorry). Do you have such a recipe?

Cookieee, The habanero gingersnaps have been one of the favorite cookies I would make every Christmas season. The habanero flavor goes really well with the sweet spices. I haven't really found any good recipes for fresh chiles in sweets - some brownie recipes that had some were ok, but not better than if they were left out, IMO.

Cookieee, The habanero gingersnaps have been one of the favorite cookies I would make every Christmas season. The habanero flavor goes really well with the sweet spices. I haven't really found any good recipes for fresh chiles in sweets - some brownie recipes that had some were ok, but not better than if they were left out, IMO.

Well, if I ever come across any recipes like that that look like they might work, I will be sure and let you know.;)

Wow, gingersnap habanero? What an interesting combo. I must try.

Hmm, now you've got me thinking about a spicy Sauerbraten gravy.

Wow, gingersnap habanero? What an interesting combo. I must try.

Hmm, now you've got me thinking about a spicy Sauerbraten gravy.
Can't help with the sauerbraten, but here are the hot gingersnaps. When I first came up with these, the recipe had a tsp of black pepper in it, but something clicked - why not use habs, since they have that incredibly sweet aroma? I cut it in half, but that was too hot, for most people, so I cut it down to 1/4 tsp (this is actually half the recipe - fits in FP better), and that works better, but I'd always do a sample batch, to test the batch of habanero I had just ground up. Sometimes I'd have to reduce it a little! This year I grew some Aji Dulce, which is an incredibly intense habanero, yet it only has about 500 heat units! Added to the chocolate hab, about 1:2, this worked out great.

Habanero Gingersnaps

1/2 cup(s) butter; chilled
1/2 cup(s) sugar
1 3/4 cup(s) flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4-3/8 tsp habanero powder; optional
1/4 cup(s) light molasses
2 tsp water
2 1/2 oz almonds; sliced or slivered

A. Place the flour, sugar, soda, salt, and spices in a food processor, and process to mix thoroughly, Cut the butter into 8 pieces, place in FP, and pulse to break up the butter, then process until it is totally ground up with the dry ing., srcaping the bottom to get the flour out of the ridges. Pulse while drizzling in the molasses and water into the FP, and process until the dough almost forms a ball.. Dump into a bowl, and gently massage the nuts into the dough, then form it into a log, about 15" long, round or square, and wrap in waxed paper, then freeze.

B. When ready to bake, remove from freezer, and preheat oven to 325º. Slice log into 1/6" slices, place on parchment lined or lightly greased sheets, and bake 10 min, or until lightly browned. Remove to a rack to cool.

Options:

Dry molasses: use 26 g powdered molasses with the dry ing., then 1 egg for the liquid.

Using mixer instead of FP: Sift together the dry ingredients. Cream the butter (at room temp) and sugar; add molasses and beat just until mixed, then add dry ing. and beat on low until mixed. Stir in the nuts, then form into a 15" log (much stickier this way) in waxed paper, and freeze.

Jan. 28 - Nat'l Blueberry Pancake Day

Of all mornings, DH had an early Dr.'s appointment.

Jan. 29 - Nat'l Corn Chip Day
Jan. 30 - Nat'l Croissant Day
Jan. 31 - Let's make this our own Nat'l Day. How about Nat'l Favorite Spice Day?

Do you have your favorite spice ready?

Thanks Cheryl, I saw it. The game does get some viewers, but I thought the site was just too hard to get to for people to bother to play. I just can't get anyone to tell me why they don't like the game. Thanks again ;)

I'll be honest here Cookieee, I think limiting the game to cookbooks accounts for my lack of interest. Several years ago when I downsized the hundreds of cookbooks I hardly used to practically none, I never looked back. I just don't want to use them anymore when I can get whatever I want or need on my computer. I sincerely hope your feelings aren't hurt about your game, but as it is, it's just not for me.

Last edited:
I'll be honest here Cookieee, I think limiting the game to cookbooks accounts for my lack of interest. Several years ago when I downsized the hundreds of cookbooks I hardly used to practically none, I never looked back. I just don't want to use them anymore when I can get whatever I want or need on my computer. I sincerely hope your feelings aren't hurt about your game, but as it is, it's just not for me.
Thanks for being honest, I really appreciate that. As I have said elsewhere, the game ran for 10 years on the Cooking Light site. We did not always stick to "just our cookbooks" as I intend to do with the new game. We did a lot of different things. One of the things we did often was I invited everyone to our home for a "Virtual Reality Pool Party". People really got into it and would post when they would leave their home, what they were bringing to eat or play with in the pool. Some would cook breakfast for us. One player was always leaving his suit on the bathroom floor lol We took turns. One player invited us to his "mountain home"

Some weeks the object of the game was to use your "to-try" folder. Make those meals that you have been putting off. There are soo many different things we used to do. I'm sorry to go on like this but it was such a great time and we all had so much fun. And I miss them and miss all of that. I just thought that I could recapture all of that here.

There was always a cookbook # because that was the main idea behind the game, but for those that didn't want to use a cookbook, there was always something else for them to do.

Last edited:
Tomorrow - Nat'l Corn Chip Day - It's a shame it's not on a week-end day, but, hey, I'm sure we all can force ourselves :rolleyes:to eat something tomorrow with these corn chips. Off hand, I can think of at least 25 different dips that we have made over the last few years or so, and I am sure you all can come up with a lot more. And what else can we do with corn chips besides dipping? Oh, I'm sure one thing DH would like to do is bake some mac & cheese with crushed corn chips over it. lol or maybe stuff some in his grilled cheese sandwich. Is there a theme here? :ermm: :LOL:

I just don't want to use them anymore when I can get whatever I want or need on my computer. /QUOTE]

One more thing on this subject. :) I can understand why you don't want to play and use your cookbooks. Granted, you can find just about anything you want to cook on the computer. I just hope you understand, I and a lot of others have a lot of money invested in cookbooks. So, if we don't give them away or sell them or put out with the trash:ohmy: why let them just sit there. I for one need a little shove now and then to open them up. Have you read the game? Just this week alone, I have found 4 new things to try, to bring variety to our meals. And I hope to keep finding new things in my life. It is fun, exciting. I'm sure you experience the same thing with what you find on your computer. As they say, to each their own, we all take a different path, but somehow we wind up at the same place;)

Happy Cooking Kayelle

Cookieee, with honestly explaining my own lack of interest in playing your cookbook game, one would have to conclude I'm not alone. I'm sorry you seem to take that personally as that's certainly not the intention of me or anyone here. A game that works in one forum and not another isn't anything new and no reflection on the organizer.
I'm just not a game player, but many folks are. Different strokes....

So today is Corn Chip Day. They make a nice break from tater chips. But my problem is that I lose interest and a taste for whatever chip I am eating when I am only halfway through the small individual bags of chips.

I will make some guacamole, using some frozen tomatoes and chili peppers from the garden - best thing to have with corn/tortilla chips! Not quite the same as in the summer, but still better than anything I could buy. And I just saw a version of guacamole on Milk Street from Colombia, that I'll have to try (later in the week - only so much guac one person can eat at a time), as it has both anaheim and habanero pepper in it (both in the freezer), and the odd ingredient, that I haven't seen in gwac - hard boiled eggs! I definitely have to make this, and I'm glad avocados were 49¢ this week!

I will make some guacamole, using some frozen tomatoes and chili peppers from the garden - best thing to have with corn/tortilla chips! Not quite the same as in the summer, but still better than anything I could buy. And I just saw a version of guacamole on Milk Street from Colombia, that I'll have to try (later in the week - only so much guac one person can eat at a time), as it has both anaheim and habanero pepper in it (both in the freezer), and the odd ingredient, that I haven't seen in gwac - hard boiled eggs! I definitely have to make this, and I'm glad avocados were 49¢ this week!

That does sound good and different with the hard boiled eggs, but I don't think I could handle the hot peppers. Please let us know when you make it what you think about adding the eggs. ;)

DH made this some years ago and said it was very very good.

Dave, this is for you

Tabasco Onions (serves 4)

1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 lb butter
2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp. Red Chile Flakes
6 large yellow onions
2 TB Tequila

Heat oil and melt butter in a large, heavy frying pan. Stir in Tabasco sauce and red chile flakes. Saute onion slices until they start to soften, then add the tequila and continue to cook until soft, tossing occasionally with tongs or a large fork. Serve with green enchiladas, steak or hamburgers.

Source: "The Tequila Cook Book" by Lynn Nusom - 1993

Jan. 30 - Nat'l Croissant Day - Forgot to have DH get us croissants. One of our favorite breakfast is fried spam and fried egg on a croissant. Delicious!!!!!!

Jan. 31 - Let's make this our own Nat'l Day. How about Nat'l Favorite Spice Day?

Do you have your favorite spice ready?
cookieee is online now Report Post

You aren't making your own croissants??? Come on now! lol

I already picked my favorite spice - Capsicum annuum - mainly because of the huge number of varieties. If I had to guess which variety I use the most of, it would definitely be the Thai peppers - the 2-3" x 1/4" ones. I use those dried in Thai, Vietnamese, and other SE asian foods, as well as Chinese, Indian, Korean, Mexican, and other foods, and I grind them into powder, and use that as my "cayenne" pepper. And I use them fresh red in Thai, and a few other cuisines, and fresh green in Thai, Indian, Mexican, and a few other cuisines. Definitely the one I use the most of - I grow 6 plants every year, and always have one or two new Thai varieties, as well, that I'm trying out.

Well Dave, as a matter of fact, NO lol

Actually DH is stopping on the way home to buy some along with Chicken Salad to make sandwiches for dinner tonight. He is sweet like that.

Did you see the recipe I posted for you?

I did see that recipe, but it wasn't one I had to run out to my kitchen to make. Though the tequila caught my eye (lol), the 2 tsp of tabasco didn't seem like enough to be noticed in 6 onions. Plus, I am not a fan of the vinegar based hot sauce - I don't even have any in my fridge! Sriracha is the closest thing, and even that, I rarely use. I do have nam prik pao, chili infused fish sauce, two types of salsa negra, gochunang, szechwan chili paste, and probably more I don't often use! lol So you can see why 2 tsp of tabasco doesn't really seem like it's going to be adding much flavor to 6 onions, at least to me.

Hardly ever a day goes by when I don't eat something with hot peppers, unless it's due to a gastrointestinal bug I caught in a restaurant. If I were to believe all of the good things we keep hearing about hot peppers, garlic, chocolate, and tea, I must be one of the healthiest people around! But really, I just love those things...too bad coffee isn't also in that list, since we keep hearing new good things about that.

DH favorite spice (other than salt and pepper) is CORIANDER

I think it is a toss up between GINGER and TURMERIC for me. But we do use a lot of CUMIN because we both like that. :ermm: This is hard.

As I am getting older, I am finding out I can't take the taste of certain herbs anymore, like rosemary, dill, and now even sage is getting to me. I used to cook with them all the time. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom