Peaceful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PastaKing

Senior Cook
Anyone else feel at peace picking out produce? I love going to the market and picking fresh fruits or veggies. It happens every time. i go in there for one or two things, thne I end up buying a pound of this, and a pound of that lol. I really, really enjoy shopping for produce.:cool:

Only in the summer at farmers market ... the rest of the time I am skeptical about what is offered. We don't have big fancy markets like the big cities do with endless aisles. We do have a pretty varied selection compared to what my parents can find in upper Michigan. I guess we get spoiled and don't appreciate what we DO have access to.

I enjoy the grocery store - period!!!! Produce is just the icing on the cake!

I am happy to see that I am not the only one. Let me take the time now, to thank you for having thi ssite. Food and cooking is a real passion of mine, and I am so happy that I found others like me.:chef:

i understand..... locally we have a pretty impressive stock. i want to buy it all, yet despite my culinary education, i'm like, 'huh?'

i love food shopping, but i find picking produce at best a challenge, and somewhat stressful until i get it home and decide if i've made good choices.

there's so much offered during all seasons of the year that sometimes it's hard to tell if something is fresh and local, or has logged more airline miles and sat on a tarmac longer than i have recently.

I love shopping for groceries especially at the produce where you get to weigh and price label your own food. We have fun doing that.

Me, too. Today I brought home fresh baby spinach in a bundle; red leaf lettuce; a pineapple; some blood oranges; and fresh Italian parsley. I like even handling these fresh goodies. Good to know some other people do, too!

Me, too. Today I brought home fresh baby spinach in a bundle; red leaf lettuce; a pineapple; some blood oranges; and fresh Italian parsley. I like even handling these fresh goodies. Good to know some other people do, too!

Isn't it though:)

I am amazed by this site. I never used to go online unless I needed something. But I must say that it feels good to be on this site, with others who share my passion.

I've recently given up on my grocery store's produce section.... and fallen in love with my local produce stand! Believe it or not, the best part is checking out, each time I'm amazed at how much cheaper it is than the grocery store! But yeah, it kind of feels like a kid in a candy store.

Since I am a borderline Vegetarian (was for 7 years until I got a type of anemia that requires me to eat a certain amount of red meat) and DH likes low-carb, when it is just us I spend a lot of my grocery budget in the produce section. We prefer the farmers' markets and organic when we can get it.

For awhile we went in with some friends on a co-op idea where you all order it together and the order comes direct from the farms and once a week you get together and split it up. I liked this for the freshness and price, but I missed being able to see everything BEFORE I purchased it.

My problem is I buy more than I wrote on my list because it looks so inviting and then I don't end up using it before it goes bad! I just found a red onion and for the life of me can't remember what I got it for!:rolleyes:

I used to love shopping back home, Whole Foods Market and other small quality chain grocery stores, and our lovely farmers market. But here in England it's not so fun...

I'm a vegetarian so produce is so very important to me, but I have found it difficult to find quality. I now order from an small organic delivery company that only offers whats in season here in SW England. I trust them to pick out what I've ordered, but so far they do an amazing job. I can't wait for asparagus to be in season here!

You know what I can't wait for when I get home this summer? Heirloom tomatoes. YUMMY!

I just moved to Montreal QC, living downtown. I'm disappointed in the produce selection compared to living in the country in southern ontario.

Alot of things were grown locally and I shopped locally for anything I could. There were so many roadside stands for fresh pies, strawberries, other fruits, veggies.. Mmmmm!!! I came here and ate a tomato, and I was like, what is this?! This has no taste.. and I felt nostalgic...

I love grocery shopping, produce is my least favorite. I am pretty picky about blemishes and stuff, and don't like the crowds. Add sometimes 3 little kids and fegettaboudit!!
It also makes me wish I had eternal summer and eternal fresh veg from my own garden.... now picking THOSE is what I call peaceful!!!

not anymore no, all the places around here are totally Packed out and I get kinda Claustrophobic if that makes sense.
there`s always a sense of Urgency with everyone today and it`s horrible, I pick up on that feeling and just want to run away from it.

so where possible, I grow all on my Own produce now, and there`s nothing more peaceful than your own land :)

lol, yt. i know what you mean about packed.

around here, the little old eastern european ladies are at such a height and reach disadvantage that they just whack you with their purse to get you to move and let them at the produce. :ohmy:

LOL BT they are alot meaner than the little old Italian ladies I grew up with in the Bronx...
my dad spent an extra half hour at the store EVERY time having to reach stuff on the upper shelves for them! :)

Back
Top Bottom