PENZEYS -- Arlington, MA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
Just got back with a large shopping bag full of goodies.

Ai Yi Yi. I went a bit wild but got stuff that would have cost twice as much $ at the stop and shop and is a bazillion times better.

It's in a place that a long time ago was restaurant called the IOWA GRILL. Or something Iowa.

You're so lucky, I wish we had a Penzeys here, or any store that specializes in seasongings.

It's really hard to walk out of there with a SMALL bag of purchases. Gotta love the smells!

So tell us what you got Jenny. I love that place. I wish I lived closer although my bank account is happy that I do not.

I just love successful shopping trips....heck, I just love shopping period!!!!

So what did you get????

Paint.

I wish we had one here in Ohio. I love their catalog and order each time I get one. I"m addicted.
Is there such a thing as PA?? Penzey's Anonymous??? :ROFLMAO:

I just heard they're opening a store in Portland, Oregon:wub: Fortunately it's on the opposite side of town so I won't go toooooo often.....I'll be broke but very happy!

Off the top of my head:

chili powder (med and hot)
cumin
mexican oregano
mediterranean oregano
epizote
coriander seeds
allspice seeds
chipolte pepper
adobo
paprika (sweet*, hot and smoked)
bay leaves
galangal
cinnamon
cake spice
garlic powder
onion powder
sage
grey sea salt**

* penzey's paprika is almost a religious experience. it bears no resemblance whatsoever with supermarket kind

** $2.98 for a decent-sized bag

I didnt need a lot of stuff (peppercorns, etc) and now knowing where it is, I'll be back this fall, I imagine.

I compared the prices at Penzey's to the price tags on the McCormick, etc. spices I had in my cupboard and Penzey's was almost always cheaper. In a few cases about half the price of supermarket kind.

That is a great list Jenny! I agree about their paprika! I have never been a huge fan of the stuff, until I tried theirs. It is now my favorite thing I have bought there!

You have got to love their prices. It is so nice to pay less for better quality. How often can you say you were able to do that?

Let me know what you think of the med chili powder. I bought their hot and love it, but I can't use it when I am cooking for other people because it does have a decent kick. I am curious about the difference in heat between the med and hot.

Penzey's

I think the chili powder comes in 3 "strengths". I normally use the medium.

Do you all know that they just started up a magazine - called "one"? I rec'd a complimentary copy of the charter issue - yeah, I think I'll be subscribing. :) It's a bit pricey but well done. I've been buying all my spices from them for many years - since they were a catalog company with 1 store. I have always been so pleased with everything about them. I love to see the progress they are making.

Yeah I got a free copy too Corinne. I liked it, but I don't think I will be subscribing. I just can't justify the cost right now. It was a very nice mag though!

I got no free copy ... :(

GB, I usually use the medium chili powder when I am making something in which I add other hot stuff. So I can control the heat better. By itself, i think their "hot" one is just right.

Thanks Jenny! I guess I know what I will be buying the next time I am there :chef:

I used the hot in my dry rub recipe. It usually calls for cayenne pepper, but I left that out. Even still it was too hot (well for most of the people I know, but not for me LOL).

I'm so excited jennyema!!!! I get to go to one tomorrow in Portland, Oregon. It's brand new (just in time!!!) - Smoked Paprika is tops on my list and I'm making sure I have extra suitcase space! lol

You are going to have a blast Kitchenelf! Bring a wad of cash :LOL:

They have these jars (at least at the one by us) filled with each spice so you can open it up and smell it. That is so much fun! Check out the ground chipotle pepper too if they have it. Very similar to the smoked Spanish paprika, but with a kick.

I might just have to take a little empty suitcase - something tells me I'm going to be really bad there!!!!! And I get to go to Trader Joe's too - never been to one - ok, maybe an extra medium sized suitcase instead of little :mrgreen:

I've made a note on the ground chipotle pepper! Thanks.

better invest in a small private jet if you are going to both Penzys and Trader Joes, and maybe someone to help you lug all the stuff up to the cash register and then help you load it on the plane!

kitchenelf said:
I'm so excited jennyema!!!! I get to go to one tomorrow in Portland, Oregon. It's brand new (just in time!!!) - Smoked Paprika is tops on my list and I'm making sure I have extra suitcase space! lol

Oh, you'll have a blast!! Make sure to smell the stuff, too. Most of the products are displayed with a glass container of it so you can "smell before you buy." :ROFLMAO:

Moved to our new Food Talk forum.

There was a brand new Penzey's that opened in Portland - my sister said it would take too long to get there (we were going to Seaside, I landed in Portland) - whaaaaaaa I never got there :mad: I was so psyched - I had directions and everything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom