Please help me! In search of American food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I visited a canadian grocery store, but there aren't the things i'm looking for. I'm so sad.. ;((((

fulmy87, piacere mio connocci. Scrivi the lingua Italiana. Tante grazi. La racazza abato nel Rome devo scrivi PM?

I love Italian lenguage and Italy. I spent there about 6 month or so, back in 1989, wow, 17 year ago. While I was there I picked up enough Italian to be able to communicate, but, I guess, not enough to remember any now.
I'm sorry I cant help you with American food, as I don't think it's the best food in the world, sorry folks, can't say that I like Italian food either, I love Chinese.
The only thing I can help you id Guacamole, which is really not American actually. It is probably Mexican, not sure. I have a killer recipe for it. If you want let me know.

Last edited:
Aria said:
fulmy87, piacere mio connocci. Scrivi the lingua Italiana. Tante grazi. La racazza abato nel Rome devo scrivi PM?
...I didn't understand..

Here it is:

Guacamole:

This is an authentic Mexican recipe, the real Mexican.
Very simple to make.

2 ripe avocados
1 small ripe tomato
1 red jalapeño peppers (or green one if you like it hot)
1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (coriander)
1 small red onion
Juice of ½ of freshly squeezed lime (depends on season the lime could be very juice or not, so adjust to taste)
A pinch of salt.
If you like very hot/spicy you can add couple of drops of some hot sauce.

Mash avocado with potato masher, chop everything very finely, mix together, enjoy. Keep it covered tightly so the avocado doesn’t get dark. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, or even more.

I found some food on Ebay, but I'm looking for sliced bacon and salted butter(creamy)....and frozen waffles (kelloggs eggo)..

fulmy87 said:
I found some food on Ebay, but I'm looking for sliced bacon and salted butter(creamy)....and frozen waffles (kelloggs eggo)..
Sorry, you're in Italy and can't find sliced bacon and salted butter? How about unsliced bacon which you could slice and unsalted butter which you could salt?

As for frozen waffles, yeah, you might be right that you can't find those, but you can always make your own and freeze them, can't you?

You do realize that trying to get everything you could get in the States is not only the shortest route to insanity, but also to the poorhouse?! You'd have to ship express if the goods are perishable, particularly if they're frozen, and on top of shipping fees, you'd have to add in customs clearance fees which can be incredibly expensive.

You live in a place reknowned for its amazing food. Can't you explore all the wonders that are available there first?

I suggest you go and pop a Rafaello in your mouth and give it a bit of thought ...! :rolleyes:

[Edited to say that I suppose this is coming across as nothing but negative. If so, no offense intended. I know what's it's like to miss stuff from elsewhere, but these are my honest thoughts about how wise it is to try to duplicate the offerings of one country while sitting in another ...]

Last edited:
Ayrton said:
[Edited to say that I suppose this is coming across as nothing but negative. If so, no offense intended. I know what's it's like to miss stuff from elsewhere, but these are my honest thoughts about how wise it is to try to duplicate the offerings of one country while sitting in another ...]
Very wise words, Ayrton,
I got sick of the food network for exactly that reason. It seemed like every single TV Chef's recipe called for pancetta instead of bacon, prosciutto instead of ham, parmigiano reggiano, "the undisputed king of cheeses," etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

fulmy - I'll just trade places with you - I don't ever drink Country Time Lemonade nor do I eat Kellogg's waffles - so you can be here and eat those things to your heart's content and I'll be there loving every minute of it! :chef:

Ayrton said:
I was getting grits out of my socks for weeks because the box broke!

Oh, PLEASE say it was the socks you were WEARING!!! And then leave the rest up to our imaginations! :)

Lee

fulmy87 said:
I don't understand kitchenelf..??????

She was just joking, saying you should come live here in USA, and she'll go live in your place in Italy and enjoy all thoose wonderful Italian things that you do not like. MM, gelato, wine, proscuito, nutella... ;)

QSis said:
Oh, PLEASE say it was the socks you were WEARING!!! And then leave the rest up to our imaginations! :)

Lee
I'm still trying to work out why it would have been better to have had grits in the socks I was wearing than in those I'd simply taken out of my suitcase and tucked into my drawer, but color me thick. It's bedtime here in Athens.

fulmy87 said:
I don't understand kitchenelf..??????
fulmy, I think the elf was offering to trade CountryTime Lemonade for Limoncello. I could be wrong though.

If you take her up on it, PM me because there's a bridge deal I want to talk to you about.

Andiama Italia. Let's all go to Italy. Ti voglio tanto bene. I love you all very much. Thank you. Tante grazi. Certo sara piacere mio. It is my pleasure to have met you all. Ciao

Sorry fulmy - I was just joking like CharlieD and skilletlicker said. I'll trade Country Time for Lemoncello ANY day!

this is a german site, but try the links, they are all to US-Products.. I think when they ship to Germany they will also ship to Italia, but haven't looked

another one from the same page, same as above

and they also have a site wich tells you how to make/where to get Cream-of-Soup, Graham Cracker or Shortening or substitutes.. you may find this in italian, too?

have you ask Google for *food USA*?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom