Poor menu planner here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
Chicken sausages, and apples I have. Can anyone help me expand on that. I was thinking that chicken sausages and apples would go good together in one dish - I just don't remember how I had planned to do it. I was considering wrapping chunks of the sausage and thin slices of apples in a crescent roll. I just am not sure exactly how to carry that out. Would I need to cook the apples prior? I am planning to possibly grill the sausages a little first. Open for suggestions.

Fried onions and apples are a standard combination. Sausage on the side and you are halfway to breakfast.

Fry the sausage in some bacon fat and remove from pan. Add onions and fry, next add apple slices and a tablespoon or two of brown sugar and fry/caramelize the apples. If it is too dry while frying the apples add a drop or two of water to create some steam and soften the apples.

Last edited:
Mustard sauce. Sounds natural for sausages, but apples? You bet. Apples respond wonderfully in mustard sauce. Your going for a creamy Dijon mustard sauce. You can base it on white wine or apple juice or both and add cream. This works with apples and any light meat, like shrimp, fish, pork.

Sausage and apples are a long-standing combination, very common in the 18th century, for instance, and likely earlier than that.

One approach, that appeared in several period cookbooks, such as John Farley's London Art of Cookery, is surprisingly modern.

Take six smallish apples. Core and peel them. Cut four of them into very thin slices (the literature says as thick as a crown piece, which is close to a modern quarter). Quarter the other two.

Fry the sausages in a skillet until done. Set aside to keep warm. Saute the apples slices in the grease until browned but not overly soft. You want them tender, but still holding their shape. Remove the slices and repeat with the quartered apples.

If you want, while cooking them, sprinkle the apples with a little nutmeg and mace.

In a serving dish, make a bed of the sliced apples. Lay the sausages on them. Then arrange the apple quarters around the sausages.

Aunt Bea said:
Fried onions and apples are a standard combination. Sausage on the side and you are halfway to breakfast.

Fry the sausage in some bacon fat and remove from pan. Add onions and fry, next add apple slices and a tablespoon or two of brown sugar and fry/caramelize the apples. If it is too dry while frying the apples add a drop or two of water to create some steam and soften the apples.

I like the sound of this. Quick & easy.

GLC said:
Mustard sauce. Sounds natural for sausages, but apples? You bet. Apples respond wonderfully in mustard sauce. Your going for a creamy Dijon mustard sauce. You can base it on white wine or apple juice or both and add cream. This works with apples and any light meat, like shrimp, fish, pork.

This sounds good too, but can you give me any more instructions on this mustard sauce?

HistoricFoodie said:
Sausage and apples are a long-standing combination, very common in the 18th century, for instance, and likely earlier than that.

One approach, that appeared in several period cookbooks, such as John Farley's London Art of Cookery, is surprisingly modern.

Take six smallish apples. Core and peel them. Cut four of them into very thin slices (the literature says as thick as a crown piece, which is close to a modern quarter). Quarter the other two.

Fry the sausages in a skillet until done. Set aside to keep warm. Saute the apples slices in the grease until browned but not overly soft. You want them tender, but still holding their shape. Remove the slices and repeat with the quartered apples.

If you want, while cooking them, sprinkle the apples with a little nutmeg and mace.

In a serving dish, make a bed of the sliced apples. Lay the sausages on them. Then arrange the apple quarters around the sausages.

I also like this suggestion for its simplicity and ease. I particularly like the suggestion of nutmeg. I keep fresh nutmeg to grate into my dishes whenever I can squeeze it in. Fresh nutmeg can really make a subtle and pleasant contribution to even savory dishes.

Another traditional combination is to go with a Germanic meal if you like saurkraut. If the sausages are not smoked, put a half can of beer in a pan you can cover, pierce the sausages, add a sliced onion and steam. Meanwhile put the kraut and thinly sliced apples in a covered pot and cook together.

If your beer disappears, so much the better, but if not, when the onions are soft and the sausage mostly cooked, drain the beer, add some oil, and brown. When the sausages and onions are browned, add the kraut and apples, cook a little more to blend the flavors.

Serve with an appropriate starch (anything from noodles to a good bread to ....) and hearty mustard.

Back
Top Bottom