Pre-made lunch ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk3_gurl

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone,

Here is my dilema. I've recently moved out from my parents house and live with my boyfriend. I need some ideas as to things that I can make say on a saturday when I have time and during the week simple take it out and throw it in the lunch bag. Like, is there anything that I can freeze and then later take to work? Or what can I make in a big batch then send off to work?

TIA!

Is there a microwave, regrigerator, or oven where you work? That would make a big difference in what you can take.

Well, for your work (you said there's a fridge, and I guess there's probably a microwave also), here are a few things I've made on the weekend and taken to work for lunches:
-sausage and peppers
-lasagne
-chicken and rice
-calzones (crust gets a little chewy, but still good)
-tuna salad
-chicken salad
-spaghetti
-grilled chicken w/ veggies (don't do mashed potatoes! the microwave really does a number on them)
-enchiladas w/ beans and/or rice

For your boyfriend:
-PB&J w/ chips and fruit
-bagels w/ something that doesn't require refrigeration

If there is a microwave at your boyfriend's work, he can take anything you make for yourself if he keeps it in an insulated lunch container with ice or one of those blue-ice things.

I hope this helps. I know there are more things you could do, but I typed everything that came immediately to mind.

You can make soups, stews, chili, pasta sauce, burritos, enchiladas, lasagna, individually portioned casseroles, pot pies, to name a few, and take them to work to be reheated and enjoyed. I did it all the time when I worked.

SUggestions are great, but what I really need is things that I can make in a batch and freeze...espeically for the boyfriend, cause I can always go out and grab something to eat but he can't. I need something that I don't have to pre-pare the night before.

mk3_gurl said:
SUggestions are great, but what I really need is things that I can make in a batch and freeze...espeically for the boyfriend, cause I can always go out and grab something to eat but he can't. I need something that I don't have to pre-pare the night before.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are making here. Can you give an example?

Sorry Andy...I posted one minute before you...so I didn't even read your post :P Thanks for the tips...now let me be more difficult...some of these are great for dinner, how about more specific lunch ideas?

mk3_gurl said:

What has he been doing up till now?

If he doesn't have a microwave at work, then it won't do any good to give him something frozen. The stores now have small packages of canned tuna with a package of mayo and one of relish that come with crackers - he could also take bread and lettuce in an insulated lunch bag and make a sandwich. PB&J was also mentioned.

I frequently make extra servings of whatever I'm making for dinner and then package them individually to take for lunch the next day. My husband often travels between locations during the workday, so he carries fresh fruit and energy bars with him to snack on.

As I mentioned, I have taken small portions of the foods I listed to work for lunch for many years. Are you thinking only of sandwiches or salads?

He's been eating meat and cheese sandwiches, same as PB & J. He's only been at this job for a couple of weeks, other job he used to get stuff from the lunch truck, but now he doens't have one...so I have to make lunch.:angel:

I once had a room mate, for a very short period, that would use my lunch meat and bread to make lunch for her kid, so I'd make up sandwiches, minus the spread, wrap them in wax paper, and freeze them. In the morning I would unwrap one, put on the mayo, mustard, or whatever, rewrap, and toss the sandwich into a bag with some chips and whatever dessert I want. By lunch time, the sandwich was thawed.

Now, I have five of these 3 section plastic dishes with snap-on covers I bought at the 99Cents Only store. I make a big Sunday dinner, divide the remains into as many of the sectioned dishes as necessary, and freeze them. In the morning I simply take one out of the freezer and put it in my briefcase. At lunch time, 3 minutes in the nuker does the trick.

314GDV5Q9TL._AA280_.jpg

Some frozen food great for lunches...

Hey, I have had the same dilemma...try some of these, maybe that will help! Keeps it interesting for my husband...

Pizza buns - I make them with my breadmaker, but they could easily be bought too. Easy to grab pre-packaged right out of the freezer.

Pepperoni buns - same idea, with my breadmaker...just make a dough you like, wrap some around pepperoni (I use half a stick each bun) and let rise 10 minute, then bake 15-18 min. at 350. I buy big packs of pepperoni and freeze some to make buns with later(cheaper :)

Quiches - pre-made shells are easy to find, try ones without sugar though...mix up egg with whatever ingredients he likes, maybe spinach and feta, ham and cheddar, tomato and onion...bake (don't remember exactly how long...) and freeze in packs ready to go.

Pizza bagels - half bagel with tomato sauce or even a little paste (I mix in some spices) with ham or pepperoni or whatever and mozz, then bake ahead, cool and freeze

Meal muffins - I enjoy these, but not everyone does...try browsing the name, searching allrecipes.com maybe...they have corn, meat, cheese...everything in them to fill a person up

Willing to warm something up in the morning? Try sending him with a thermos...sounds elementary, but makes a nice change from sandwhiches! Warm it first with hot water, take out a meal from the freezer the morning of or have it defrosting through the night, heat well and send with him. Then you can try...

Chili
Sloppy Joe's
Tacos (put other ingredients in a different container) etc.

Pasta, potato, rice salads can be made in advance, with some meat added if necessary. They don't need to be frozen and will last quite awhile in the fridge. Put in a plastic container, THEN keep small freezer thingies (heck, what are they called) or put some ice in a baggie and toss in the lunch bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom