Professional or just a Great Cook!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of cook or chef are you?

• I am presently employed as a cook or chef.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • In the past I was employed as a cook or chef.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I only cook these great foods for my family and friends!

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
Didn't know where to put this...so hoping it's ok here. I thought this poll might be fun. Everyone I have met on here seems to be so knowledgeable about food. I am one to believe there are just as many "great unprofessional cooks" as there are "professional" cooks....so would really enjoy the breakdown!

For me cooking was always second nature, and at a very young age the chance was there so i took it. I had cooked, became head cook, held title of chef for a short while, then went into machining.:huh:

Although still cooking, it is now only for family and friends, albeit the art and passion will always be a focal point in my everyday life!:chef:

I make my living as a chef. Which is one reason I'm not here much lately- my workweek is generally about 75 hours. Sadly, running a kitchen often involves as much paperwork and meetings as actual cooking!:wacko:

But the joy is still there!:chef:

Pantry supervisor at a country club here. Rob's right, a cook/chef's schedule can be odd hours, a long work-week, etc. And there is a surprising amount of paperwork to go with it. Luckily, I don't have much paperwork to do, just a little inventorying.

I have never cooked professionally. I have wanted to have a small bakery, but, never had the money to do anything about it.
I'm the one at get togethers that everyone is jumping up to see what I brought this time :eek:). Noone ever knows. I like to try new things on everyone. Sometimes it a big hit, other times, I throw the recipe away. I just love to cook.

I have never cooked professionally, but when my children were small, I dreamed of starting a catering service. At that time, the nearest one was in St. Louis, and I could have made money at it.
But my ex wasn't in favor of it. He said that I'd be working every weekend and holiday, which was right.
So I went into the greenhouse business instead...and worked every week-end and holiday. LOL!

Cooking professionally involves hard work and long hours. I take my hat off to professional chefs.

For me that would take the pleasure out of cooking. So I cook at home and enjoy that.

i have considered culinary school... but i am allergic to cow dairy and the schools i spoke to told me that there is no way i could attend without eating butter and cheese. lately, i have been seriously considering a few programs in my area that teach you how to become a vegan chef (no animal products at all, so no allergies for me)... im not a vegetarian but i love vegetarian cooking and there is a market for vegan food in my area.

I've never cooked prof............but I truely enjoy cooking for my family and friends. The smiles on their faces is worth it.

When I was five I said "I want to grow up and get married and have babies"
That's all I ever wanted. Cooking for my family is enough!

My first job at age 16 was in the dietary department in a local hospital. I worked my way up to an assistant cook. When I was in my 20's I worked for a couple catering companies. Now, all my cooking is done at home for my family.

I always loved to cook and bake, but never did professionally. I love to cook for my family and friends. I also did the cooking and catering for big parties like weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. but always just as a hobby. :)

I enjoy sharing my results of my cooking with friends and family. To me one of the greatest compliments is to take a dish or dessert to a potluck, BBQ. or any other function and come home with it empty. :) I have cooked for larger groups (100+), mostly at work. I prefer to cook for smaller groups, it is more fun and less hassle.

Last edited:
At the risk of being banished from here I do very little cooking anymore....I think I have done my duty thus far.I've put in for retirement. When DH comes home I will have to, but until then I just do what I want to as far as food goes.

Marge~Dove

Back
Top Bottom