Question about red wine and soup pairings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK - maybe I'm just not used to a pot of nothing but lentils - should the lentils be soft or still have some bite to them?

Elf, I think that is strictly a matter of taste. In a soup I kinda like them mushy, but as a side dish a little firmer.

What Claire said--soup needs to be "soup"=mushy. I really like the lentil soup choice, by the way. Is there thyme in the recipe? If not, I highly recommend a dash.
And if anyone wants a drop dead delicious Cotes du Rhone, look for Kermit Lynch's label. It is SO good--and so reasonable in price.

kitchenelf, unless the lentils boil until soft and split, the soup will not have its full flavour. Although your recipe doesn't say so, it would be better to bring the lentils to a boil, drain, and discard the water prior to continuing with your soup.

The lentil soup I cook has considerably fewer ingredients than the recipe you have found and it is still a very flavourful and hearty soup. From this standpoint, I am a bit puzzled by the many spices your recipe lists. I do hope the soup turns out well for you.

The lentil soup I cook has considerably fewer ingredients than the recipe you have found and it is still a very flavourful and hearty soup. From this standpoint, I am a bit puzzled by the many spices your recipe lists.

Am I misreading elf's recipe? I don't see "many" spices. I would say those particular ones aren't in my recipe, but other than that, and with the addition of some celery, this is pretty much the lentil soup I make and all enjoy.

Candocook said:
Am I misreading elf's recipe? I don't see "many" spices. I would say those particular ones aren't in my recipe, but other than that, and with the addition of some celery, this is pretty much the lentil soup I make and all enjoy.
After reading kitchenelf's recipe once again, I must agree with you that it is not the number of spices that appeared to be "too many." Let me change the word "spices" in my previous post with the word "ingredients." If I were to go by my preferred recipe, then chicken broth, sausage, nutmeg, cloves, and perhaps wine would be the main entries in the "too many ingredients" list. But then individual tastes may very well differ about lentil soup as they do for just about anything else.

Well, I did not add the cloves as I felt it just didn't sound right. I probably didn't add enough nutmeg to make a difference but nutmeg goes a long way. Everything else was really good and gave many layers of flavor. The lentils did continue to cook and were perfect by the time we ate. Part of me wants to blame the acid in the tomatoes for them taking so long to cook. The sausage gave some nice spice and went quite well with the Cabernet.

I will look for that particular Cotes du Rhone Cando. Someone brought a bottle of VEO Grande Cabernet Sauvignon. Now, it could have been the 8 bottles we had BEFORE this one but for $6.59 this is truly a drinkable wine. I won't say quaffing wine as I thought it was a bit more complex than that. I'll have to try it FIRST to really test it though :blush:

The other soups were pure heaven! The mushroom soup was blended and served with some sherry and chives - the Italian Wedding soup was served with some parmesan - the meatballs were heaven (veal, pork, and beef). Chocolate Rum Cake with raspberry sauce for dessert along with some varying degrees of cocoa truffles. Couldn't have been better - except if I could have curled up on the sofa and gone directly to sleep without getting out in the cold!

Back
Top Bottom