Quiche the cook! Thursday, 9/10/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Duchess quiche with honeydew and maybe some home fries depending on how hungry we are later.

Starting the GD's Tardis birthday cake today since I have to get the final frosting done at the very latest by early a.m. tomorrow so the frosting will have time to crust and I can get the luster dust painted on tomorrow afternoon/evening so we can take it to her early Saturday.

Probably more red beans & rice here. I made a big pot on Sunday and I'm still eating on it 4 days later. Wife and kids won't eat it. Too spicy for their taste, but just right for me.

GG's dinner recipe from last night got me thinking about making a cold dish with Thai seasoned chicken and the Dragon Lady's sesame noodle recipe. So I'm thawing some chicken thighs that I'll marinate and grill then shred into some sesame noodles.

I have a strip steak that's big enough for 2. I'm going to cook it Sous Vide, then sear it in a cast iron skillet, and slice it up. Making a chimichurri sauce to serve with it.

On the side will likely be a salad or baked potato.

I love quiche. Saw a recipe for a BLT one. It was so pretty with all the colors in it. Very appealing looking. The lettuce is replaced with cooked spinach. Cherry tomatoes cut in half and a pound of bacon cooked to very crispy. Pirate doesn't like spinach. That's okay with me. A whole quiche of me alone. He can go hungry! :angel:

I have a little (2 1/3#), boneless, sliced Kentucky Legend ham I'll heat in the toaster oven. Sides will be broccolini (haven't decided if I'll saute or nuke), and fauxtatoes. Going to try Steve's cauliflower-'come-'taters tonight. I also might excavate any older apples from the fruit bin to use for homemade apple sauce.

Not really sure yet. I have shrimp leftover from yesterday, but not enough for a meal. I'll probably end up having them in a green salad for dinner.

CG, I love the Kentucky Legend hams. Good flavor and it comes in a manageable size.

Going to grill up some chicken wings and sliced zuchinni. I have some sour cream that needs usng up, so I might partially nuke then grill a baked potato and make a twice baker with it and some cheese. Of course, that will only use a dollop of the sour cream, but hey.

CG, I love the Kentucky Legend hams. Good flavor and it comes in a manageable size.

Going to grill up some chicken wings and sliced zuchinni. I have some sour cream that needs usng up, so I might partially nuke then grill a baked potato and make a twice baker with it and some cheese. Of course, that will only use a dollop of the sour cream, but hey.

You could make a dip for the wings with some of the sour cream.

I'm thinking grilled burgers tonight, and we have a little leftover mac 'n cheese. Maybe a small salad or raw veggies on the side.

I guess great minds think alike. We had quiche here, as well. Mine was made with an almond flour crust and has asparagus, sausage, and goat cheese. I also had some mixed salad greens and a nice, crisp glass of homemade Sauvignon Blanc.

It's definitely feeling like fall today!

img_1435765_0_e6b4d746a8a76ac523c181cc166abf4b.jpg

Earlier in the week Glenn commented that he sure would enjoy a nice big sandwich...like the ones we enjoyed at Central Grocery in New Orleans. Muffaletta? Yep!

So while I was marketing on Tuesday I picked up the meats and cheeses and made the bread yesterday. We still had a nice-sized portion of the olive salad we bought at Central Grocery when we were there, so we were good to go.

Omigosh, are we stuffed...but in a good and tasty way!! Now I want to go back to New Orleans. At least there's still enough of everything so we can have a repeat for dinner tomorrow. Yeah!!!!

Good seeing you, Katie! I wondered where you've been lately. I'm hoping I can see New Orleans someday. Himself was there on business a couple ages ago, so we keep hoping to make a trip together someday.

Steve, that quiche looks yummy, almond crust and all. I want to let you know I made our fauxtatoes tonight with the food processor - what a difference! The first fail was using a potato masher on the cauliflower, the second fail was using a stick blender. Third time with FP? The charm! This was just the push I needed to finally take my FP for its maiden whirl...I've had it in the basement for far too long, trying to drum up the courage to take on an appliance that intimidates me. I'm clumsy and can cut myself with a plastic knife. :LOL: BTW, I didn't have gravy tonight, so I added about 1/4 cup grated Parma cheese. Just the right touch.

Attachments

• 2015-09-10 19.53.29.jpg
    2015-09-10 19.53.29.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 183
Steve, that quiche looks yummy, almond crust and all. I want to let you know I made our fauxtatoes tonight with the food processor - what a difference! The first fail was using a potato masher on the cauliflower, the second fail was using a stick blender. Third time with FP? The charm! This was just the push I needed to finally take my FP for its maiden whirl...I've had it in the basement for far too long, trying to drum up the courage to take on an appliance that intimidates me. I'm clumsy and can cut myself with a plastic knife. :LOL: BTW, I didn't have gravy tonight, so I added about 1/4 cup grated Parma cheese. Just the right touch.

CG, that looks positively bee-YOO-ti-ful! :yum:

Thanks, Steve! :heart: The funny thing is, when Himself went to plate his food, I mentioned something about "cauliflower". He said "I don't see it". When I told him the white stuff was NOT mashed potato, he was surprised. You know, with a pour of beef gravy it, I bet it's really hard to tell the difference. My Mom really hated cauliflower, but would fix it since it's "good for you". She served it only when she made roast beef. She would so have loved this! :LOL:

Thanks again for sharing your technique.

Great dinner pics, Steve and CG! :yum:

OK - it's decided. Steve's cauliflower/cream cheese dish is going to be added to this year's Thanksgiving menu. I'm sure it'll be a hit. :chef:
Everyone's dinners sound especially appealing tonight!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom