Quicksilver's Quasi Formal Bash! Join in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quicksilver

Washing Up
PLEASE NOTE: This is virtual!

Hey, we don't have to do this theme...you got one you'd like to do quicksilver? Why don't you put a menu together for this weekend and post it? We'll all chime in and join you.

I don't know what my theme is, but after thinking I'd start with a theme using chiopino, I changed my mind.

I'm going to go with a quasi-formal, and stay away from the upcoming usual holiday fare.
However, I'll need input for the wine paring, please.
I don't have alot of knowledge of wines. I only know what I like, and it's not always an appropiate match to the food.

1st course:

Soup: French onion served in individual sourdough bowls (Made by JoeV) topped with baked gruyere

2nd course:

Spinach Salad with hot bacon dressing,served in individual parmasan baskets

Palette cleanser:

Orange or lemon sorbet with ribbon of mint on chinese soup spoons

3rd (main) course:

Crown Pork Roast, with roasted parsnips & carrots in a orange/honey glaze, and whipped parsley potatoes and celery root. Warm popovers with chive butter.

4th (dessert) course:

Cheese, fruit and shelled nut platters (paired with appropriate wines)

5th (final) course:

Chocolates, demitasse, cappuccino, or coffee

(keep in mind this is not just a meal, but an event, a celebration of our community, so it is not an eat and run kind of thing. Sit, stay, and enjoy!)

OK, I moved this to its own thread. You've got a menu, now you need to decide on a day and then see who all is going to join you on this extravganza.

I will have to modify a few things to accomodate them in our house (Nut allergies) and is it OK if I use regular bowls? We're not big on the bread bowl or basket thing. We end up wasting a lot of food that way.

wow! It all sounds so good!!!
Paul and I have really small tummies though. I'll make the soup and salad and dream about eating the rest!

Thanks for the invite!!

Alix, the nuts are only served seperate at the end with other fruit & cheeses.
"Cheese, fruit and shelled nut platters (paired with appropriate wine)"(I changed platter to platters)
The only nuts not allowed are the people who don't want to join in!!! LOL! As far as the bowls, maybe you are right, but I was trying to get joeV in there. So maybe I'll just do small, individual crocks with JoeV's sourdough under the cheese.
Pd, I never finish anything served in courses, 'cause I know I won't be able to get to the next course. But you MUST have a taste (sort of like birthday cake- a taste for luck!), because I can't guarantee leftovers or doggie bags!

I also haven't accommodated for strict kosher, (nor could I ever, as I'd need a seperate kitchen and all equipment)
Nor have I accounted for strict vegetarians. I can't even imagine a meal that way. Nor could I imagine a meal of just meat. (Oh, maybe BBQ, but I'd miss the corn on the cob! LOL!)
And the one thing I tried to add, but couldn't figure out how, was fish. As a lover of fish, and italian, I always try to fit this in.
Next time.

But this is a dinner PARTY, for a good time by all. So please
offer up your additions.........AND I STILL NEED WINE SUGGESTIONS!!!

ahhhh, I thought that this was one of our Sunday "everybody" cooks the same thing meals. We did that a while back and it was pretty fun.

Ok, since we are joining you for dinner...bring it on! Paul and I will gladly over eat to our hearts desire!

smiles and burps, Trish

I think this is a great menu but I am confused. I was thinking along the line of Pdswife that we all make it the same night. I would have to skip the wine parings as we do not have alcohol in this house, and DH has celiac/lactose intolerance so I would have to make adjustments there.

So, is this a virtual dinner that you are making for us all, Quicksilver, or are you actually inviting people to your home?

Sorry for being so dense...I usually blame it on the pain meds but today I think I will use the chlorine from the pool as my excuse! LOL!

I was confused too... that is why I have not posted yet. I thought I would let Laurie ask so I did not have to be the one asking!!!! Thanks Laurie!!!

Let's do virtual. (I think I better go to post #1 and make this clear. Sorry for the changes, Alix. I wasn't around for the first one. So this is MY spin)
I don't think all of us could handle all of us. NO?
I know my house couldn't come close.
Tell us, Laurie of you changes and adds.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to find picks of everything, so we can set the table.

Virtual...Sunday Dinner...Party....Whatever. I'm just thrilled to be able to contribute the bread bowls.:LOL: As a mater of fact, I just fed my sourdough starter the other day, so it's ready to go. I think I gained two pounds just reading the menu.

As far as wine goes, I always have a Merlot, a Chardonnay and a Pinot Grigio (sp?) on hand for any dinner party. I've found that tastes are so varied, that it's important to cover the bases rather than to limit my guests to a particular wine that they may not enjoy with a particular course. As you said, it's what you like, and that should also apply to the guests, IMHO.

That's my nickle's worth.

JoeV

You want wines? You've got wines! By the way, the Amuse bouche goes before the dinner. the term means to amuse (or wake up) the mouth. Your sorbet would be a palate cleanser.

1st course:

Soup: French onion served in individual sourdough bowls (Made by JoeV) topped with baked gruyere
Spanish Cava -- We like Segura Viudas, but see what your wine guy has on hand.

2nd course:
Spinach Salad with hot bacon dressing,served in individual parmasan baskets
More Cava, or an Alsatian Pinot Blanc. (FWIW, I would serve the salad after the main course.)

Amuse bouche:
Orange or lemon sorbet on chinese soup spoons
no pairing

3rd (main) course:
Crown Pork Roast, with roasted parsnips & carrots in a orange/honey glaze, and whipped parsley potatoes and celery root. Warm popovers with chive butter.
Cru Beaujolais from the town of Fleurie. Made from the Gamay grape, it is fruity but has few of the tannins that often plague young California wines.

4th (dessert) course:
Cheese, fruit and shelled nut platters (paired with appropriate wines)
Finish the wine you started with the pork.

5th (final) course:

Chocolates, demitasse, cappuccino, or coffee

[/quote] and along with the chocolates and coffee, you could offer glassses of 20-year-old Tawny Port. YUM!

:pig::pig::pig::pig::pig:

Wow, that is awesome menu, I wish I was 15 year younger when I could allow my self to eat all those things in one seating. As of right now I would have to stop at onion soup.

This is a wonderful dinner, Quicksilver, and I can't see a lot of changes you would need to make for this to be an "allergy free" menu. The first, for DH would be to serve his soup in a regular bowl with no bread or cheese (he just loves onion soup and I do this for him alot).

Second, no parmesan crisp for the salad.

For the main course I would do a small amount of potatoes (or all of them) with chicken stock instead of cream and butter. I am finding that this is actually not a bad way to do them and takes care of anyone with a lactose problem. Also, for someone with gluten problems (celiac) like DH, just leave off the popover and butter (I'll have his!!!)

As for the nut allergies, I know that some people are so sensitive that even the smell of them can cause a reaction so what might be safer (and in a way more fun) would be to serve a bowl of nuts in shells with a nut cracker. If someone is allergic they will just know to stay away from anyone indulging on this part of the meal.

Finally, I would add an herbal tea or two to the final course for people like me who can't have any form of caffeine.

One thing I might suggest is that for a 5 course meal I catered awhile back I did a lemon basil sorbet that was very well received. I have been experimenting with lemon and basil together and in school my partner and I even came up with a lemon basil tarte which was a huge hit in the restaurant that night.

Please know I am only making suggestions from my knowledge of diets, not because I want to fool with this lovely menu. I wish this wasn't virtual!

By the way, the Amuse bouche goes before the dinner. the term means to amuse (or wake up) the mouth. Your sorbet would be a palate cleanser.

Thanks ChefJune, this was bothering me too but forgot to mention it.

By the way, Quicksilver, are we having appies?

Okay, this is what I have come up with.

How about an appie trio. I have these little long thin glass plates that work wonderfully and love to come up with trios that compliment each other

I have a wonderful Thai Fish Cake with sweet chili sauce (made, not bought). It will be on the right of the plate on a piece of endive filled with the sauce.

In the centre, a tail-on tiger prawn butterflied and breaded with panko, served on another endive leaf filled with a Mary Rose sauce (creamy coctail sauce).

On the left a seared bay scallop wrapped in pancetta sitting on a leaf of dill mayonnaise.

Back
Top Bottom