Recipe for each US state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

2 sticks (1/2 lb.) butter
1 white onion,diced small
2 stalks celery , diced small
3 small carrots , diced small
2 Tbsp. sherry
2 cups flour
2 qts. chicken stock
12 oz wild rice
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Salt & pepper to taste

In a heavy cooking pot, melt butter. Add onions, celery, and carrots and saute until onions are translucent. Add sherry and stir. Add flour and stir until flour is dissolved and beginnign to cook. Add 1 qtof the chicken stock. Stir until thick. Slowly add the remaining 1 qt stock. Stir. Add the wild rice and simmer for 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly add the whipping cream, stir and cook until heated through. Serve. Makes 11 servings

Source: http://www.cookingcache.com/soupsand/minnesotawildricesoup.shtml

I think scrapple for Pennsylvania. :sick:

But I love scrapple if it is made with Julia Child's recipe.:)

I don't know if Delaware would claim it or not, but wild game is truely a speciality of the state's cuisine: snapper soup, wild duck or goose braised with arromatic vegetables served with biscuits, even fricasee of marsh-rabbit!

Last edited:
Seafood is one of the most popular foods here in Maine, as well as the rest of New England. The most popular ones are lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, cod, haddock. Fiddleheads are popular in early spring, and blueberries and apples are popular fruits for pies or eaten fresh. There are many people that like to hunt wild game and I would say deer and bears are two of the most popular ones.

phinz said:
I thought Minnesota would be Lutefisk and Aquavit, though not necessarily in that order. :mrgreen:

Heh heh heh. Nice one phinz. I think MN would be the "hot dish" wouldn't it?

i mentioned "Shrimp & Grits" for Charleston, South Carolina and later found this quote:

In the Low Country of South Carolina and particularly Charleston, shrimp and grits has been considered a basic breakfast for coastal fishermen and families for decades during the shrimp season (May through December). Simply called 'breakfast shrimp," the dish consisted of a pot of grits with shrimp cooked in a little bacon grease or butter. During the past decade, this dish has been dressed up and taken out on the town to the fanciest restaurants. Not just for breakfast anymore, it is also served for brunch, lunch, and dinner.
In 1976, South Carolina declared grits the official state food:
Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of south Carolina used to be the site of a grist mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as The Charleston News and Courier proclaimed in 1952: 'An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace.'

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/GritsHistory.htm

Blueberries are the State Fruit of New Jersey (where I live). Here's a tasty way to serve them...

BLUEBERRY RIPPLE (LEMON BUTTERMILK) ICE CREAM

This ice cream is very low in butterfat, so it’s best served the same day you make it. Later, it tends to become “rocky.” The tangy flavor of the lemon and buttermilk complement the blueberries very well.

6 servings

for the Blueberry Ripple:

1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup Crème de Cassis liqueur
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole blueberries

Combine all ingredients except the second 1/2 cup of blueberries in a small, non-reactive saucepan. Simmer the mixture over low heat until it forms a thick syrup, and the berries fall apart. Remove from heat and add the remaining berries. Allow the mixture to cool thoroughly.

for the Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream:

6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup superfine sugar
2 cups buttermilk
the zest of 1 large lemon

1. In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice. Set the pan over gently shimmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 175 degrees F. This may take about 10 minutes. In any case, don’t let the mixture boil.

2. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a fairly flat bowl and allow to cool while the surface is covered with a piece of waxed paper.

3. Combine the buttermilk and lemon zest with the cooled lemon mixture thoroughly, and freeze in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer’s directions. When the ice cream has achieved a soft-frozen consistency, remove from the freezer and place in a very cold stainless steel bowl. Swirl in the blueberry syrup, then carefully transfer the ice cream to a freezer container, and allow to “season” in the freezer for several hours.

June, that looks delicious!!

Washington state can do more than just apples!!! (Altho, darn good apples)

Huckleberry Pie
Dungeness (can't beat Dungeness anywhere!!) Crab cakes
Salmon
Nanaimo Bars
and Pears - we grow a lot of pears!!

Texas is known for chili and BBQ. We have a Taste of Texas every April and feast on barbeque, chili and smoked steaks.

Last edited:
Illinois needs to be divided in two...Northern and Southern. Actually, there have been attempts to make Southern Illinois a separate state since the Civil War, and they are still going on today.
Chicago's deep-dish pizza would be their claim to fame, I think.
Down here in the south, the unique Burton's Cafe White Pie, or our rolled-style dumplings are our signature dishes.
And I can't forget fried bluegill...bluegill is our state fish.

Last edited:
Northern MN, is well known for it's Wild Rice HOTDISH or Wild Rice Soup. Ya Ya, Lutefisk is served around holidays but only by the older folks. Can't stand it myself. The churches serve it usually around deer season.

Back
Top Bottom