Recipe for each US state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davo

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

Myself and my cousin are from the UK and we were having a discussion relating to the best pie recipes for each county in the UK (as we are great pie eaters). As each county would have a pie recipe that would identify it.

Then he asked the question if it is the same in the states, obviously not pies, but is their a recipe that would identify the state.

My cousin thinks that this is not the case, but I beg to differ. Please help family pride at steak -oops - stake.

If anybody stateside could help us out we would be most gratreful.

Regards

Davo

There was actually a debate over whether Florida's pie should be Pecan or Key Lime. I lean toward the latter. Georgia would be Peach Pie I would guess. In Tejas I'm partial to Pecan Pie. Washington would be Apple Pie. I would guess Maine would be Blueberry Pie.

I really don't know.

This might be a bit difficult to cut it down to "just one".

Even a relatively "average" sized state like Michigan can lay claim to several regional dishes. Up north there are the pasties, fudge, and cherries while downstate you have things like coney dogs and apples. Then there are all the fish from the lakes - even that can change based on where you are in the state... Perch, whitefish, salmon, walleye, etc...

I'd probably have to go with the cherries though - they have their own festival up in Traverse City each year... :mrgreen:

John

Hi guys,

Thanks for the updates.

I think we really didn't actually take into account the size of the US as outlined in John's post. Probably because we are from such a small little island ourselves.

Regards

Davo

Davo said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the updates.

I think we really didn't actually take into account the size of the US as outlined in John's post. Probably because we are from such a small little island ourselves.

Regards

Davo

Yes we are tiny in GB, and I realise in your debate you were only talking about pies, but we too have more the one regional dish per region! America's culinary heritage is great because of the "recent" establishment and huge variety of culture influx, but we too have a good regional history in meals and dishes: done down by half a century of applaling cooking! I think per square mile the UK can stand proud! :)

Well said, Lulu! And let's not forget that lots of the American regional dishes have their roots in the UK, too - Cornish pasties for instance which I was surprised to hear are such a staple in mining areas of the USA, as well as fudge, fruit pies and hearty stews and casseroles!:)

ronjohn55 said:
This might be a bit difficult to cut it down to "just one".

Even a relatively "average" sized state like Michigan can lay claim to several regional dishes. Up north there are the pasties, fudge, and cherries while downstate you have things like coney dogs and apples. Then there are all the fish from the lakes - even that can change based on where you are in the state... Perch, whitefish, salmon, walleye, etc...

I'd probably have to go with the cherries though - they have their own festival up in Traverse City each year... :mrgreen:

John

I haven't really lived in MI long enough to figure out what the "state" regional thing is, but I agree with ronjohn, it varies from one part of the state to the other.

Hey, ronjohn, ever hear of a dish called "Traverse City Chicken"? We serve it as the standard chicken dish for large parties where I work.

AllenMI said:
I haven't really lived in MI long enough to figure out what the "state" regional thing is, but I agree with ronjohn, it varies from one part of the state to the other.

Hey, ronjohn, ever hear of a dish called "Traverse City Chicken"? We serve it as the standard chicken dish for large parties where I work.

Nope, can't say I've heard of it. I'm willing to guess it involves cherries, and possibly has no chicken to speak of in it?

John

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I didn't actually mean for the debate to be solely about pies, I put that in to explain how myself and my cousin came around to the question.

Please feel free to give any recipe you like, doesn't have to be a pie dish.

Of course we can stand proud of our culinery delights that we have in the UK.(deep fried Mars bars !:sick:) Only joking, the food in the UK is truely
superb - especially my Mum's cooking ...

You have now got me thinking of other dishes that identify a region in the UK other than pies. I hope I have forgotten about that the next time I see my cousin or it will be another 4 hrs down the pub. :wacko: Ah might phone him up now to see if he's available this evening:rolleyes:

well, deep fried mars bars are a travesty. But here in Italy - a country synonomous with good food, the same happens, packet food in supermarket and NUTELLA PIZZA, which has to equal the deep fried mars bar - speak subjectively having tried neither, lol.

UK food?- too many to list! The most famous -Hot Pot from Lancashire, scones from the WestCountry, Clotted cream for those scones, Haggis from Scotland, lardy cakes and potted shrimps and junkets and cheeses and the dishes made from them, .....Davo, there are HUNDREDS, many less well known than they used to be, but still deserving. Where abouts (roughly) are you from?....I bet there are some local dishes to be proud of.

phinz said:
There was actually a debate over whether Florida's pie should be Pecan or Key Lime.

I would agree about Key Lime pie, but I suspect lots of Texans would protest that Pecan pie should be "theirs".
At the same time I initially thought of Tex-Mex and barbecue for the state dish of Texas, but then I realised they would get similar protests from other southern states about barbecue, and almost identical competition from Southern California about Tex-Mex.

The only surefire dishes that would represent a particular state that I can think of right now is anything Cajun from Louisiana.

Ishbel said:
Well said, Lulu! And let's not forget that lots of the American regional dishes have their roots in the UK, too - Cornish pasties for instance which I was surprised to hear are such a staple in mining areas of the USA, as well as fudge, fruit pies and hearty stews and casseroles!:)

Ummmmmmmmm! Yah! pasties! I could eat those breakfast, lunch and dinner forever.:w00t2:

Apple pie maybe Washington, but slap a piece of cheese on top and your definitely in Wisconsin.

Mayo on your burger? Is that a Canadian thing? I thought mayo was more popular in the US. When I travel there it is "on tap" at condiment bars (UGH) and it never is here at home. Canadian food is a wee bit different yet. We tend to gravitate to our cultural roots for our foods. Though there are many things that are distinct to certain regions. (Tourtiere leaps to mind.)

Tell me truthfully, you folks down south don't try gravy on your fries? Lordy what you are missing! I'm not even going to talk about poutine...ohhhhh my arteries!

Alix - somehow I think that is the ONLY thing we don't put gravy on and I'm not sure how that slid by us!!!! lol

Mayo on a burger????? You bet!

You slap some mayo on some white:LOL: bread around here and many call that "lunch"

Hi Lulu,

I'm from the North East of England - very unhealthy diet up here! Lovely Stottie cakes filled with chips !! the list is endless as you say - I'll feel like food now!

Alix,

You want to try Garlic sauce on your fries(chips) - That was our staple diet when I was at University and also cold pizza left over from the night before..

Back
Top Bottom