S A TUR DAY NIGHT! What the Bee Gee bers is on the table tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I'm just cruising the forum trying to decide on dinner. The weather is warm and I might break out the barbie! Think it might be a fishy kind of night. I have some shrimp to skewer and some sea bass to plop on there. Sides and salad yet to be determined. I have to figure out how many I'm feeding first.

I'm marinating a flank steak to make carne asada. I'll slice that and we'll have it with potato and asparagus. Leftovers will fill tacos another time.

Thawing half a turkey breast. Maybe with gravy, corn, and mashed potatoes, possibly some stuffing.

I have no idea what will be on the table tonight. Last year at my wine club's Christmas party I won a "privately cooked meal for two" at the club president's home in a silent auction. Tonight's the night. From what I understand he's an excellent home cook who is into French cuisine, so this could be a really nice dinner. We'll see.

Last edited:
Made hamburgers for late lunch so dinner will be leftovers. There's some cashew chicken and fried rice, Russian chicken and rice, salads and 3 hamburgers from lunch. Everyone will heat up what they want when they want since I have a concert tonight.

How can I mend, this broken tart...
How can I keep the grain from falling down...

Sorry, caught up in the thread title :wacko:

Pork picatta for me tonight, with gravy on mashed potatoes and sauteed B sprouts.

Well, things changed. We had potato skins (and now Monday dinner is going to be gnocchi) and dry garlic ribs. We had a tomato/avocado salad on the side and we ate very early so Bugs could get off to work for 5. I suspect there will be more noshing later.

I have a one rib Prime Rib to cook. I'm trying to decide on roasting it, or treating it like a humongous bone in Rib Steak on the barbeque. Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

I have no idea what will be on the table tonight. Last year at my wine club's Christmas party I won a "privately cooked meal for two" at the club president's home in a silent auction. Tonight's the night. From what I understand he's an excellent home cook who is into French cuisine, so this could be a really nice dinner. We'll see.
That sounds fascinating! I hope you'll make some comment here in the forum describing how your dinner went and what was served.

I didn't feel like cooking today so I'm having a chicken pot pie from Trader Joe's Market. It's not exactly haute cuisine but they do a rather nice job of their chicken pot pies compared to typical supermarket name brands. I'll probably have a salad with that.

They have both microwave and conventional oven cooking methods. The microwave method has a browning film built into the package which is somewhat effective, but I prefer the oven method which results in a nicer, browner crust.

I cooked the chipolte pork recipe from Sir_Loin_of_Beef. It has a very nice flavor. :)

Early this morning we went to the St Paul Farmer’s Market Spring Opening Day. Scored some organic eggs from barley fed chickens . I also got a half gallon of Grade B Maple syrup and some smoked lake trout. My friend bought a whole roasting chicken. One of them layers must have gone belly up:ohmy:

Dinner tonight was (lightly smoked ) trout, much too light, and not at all like the little bit I tasted this morning. I mixed some pieces together with asparagus, onion, garlic, lemon and tossed it all with some fettuccine , evoo and more lemon and shaved parmesan. Actually, it turned out pretty good.

Open faced sandwich with sliced leftover roast chicken, tossed in Stubb's BBQ sauce, topped with melted extra sharp cheddar and sliced sweet onion on a crusty baguette.
Homemade bittersweet chocolate ice cream for dessert!

Last edited:
That sounds fascinating! I hope you'll make some comment here in the forum describing how your dinner went and what was served.
It was really quite a dinner! I was just under the impression it would be the host & his SO, along with my wife and I, but it was dinner for eight. According to his SO, Gordon had begun planning this 4 months ago.

Though he lives in a modest house, everything was decked out to the nines when we arrived. Full table service, linen napkins, etc. We were served appetizers on the three seasons porch, and then made our way to the dining room.

I tried to take notes as best as I could during the meal, without making it too obvious. I really wished I could've taken photos, but I don't think it would've been in good taste. Anyway, here is what we had, along with the wines that were served:

1. Mushroom Paté and Olives - Roederer Estate Brut, California
  2. Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola - Firesteed Riesling, Washington
  3. Shrimp Provençal "en Papillote" - Sterling Chardonnay, California
  4. Coq au Vin - 2003 Château La Grange, Bordeaux
  5. French Onion Soup - Grenache Syrah Blend, Rhône Valley
  6. Mango Sorbet (Palate Cleanser)
  7. Cheese Course - Manchego, Truffle, and Gouda - 2008(?) Château Pontet-Caillou, Bordeaux
  8. Crêpe Suzette - Bonny Doon Orange Muscat, California
It was really a lot of fun. Gordon says it's too much for him to do every year, and asked if one of the other couples in attendance would be interested in hosting it next year. I'm seriously thinking about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom