Sat. dinner. Dec 6, '14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Thought I'd start this early today.

Steve will be volunteering today as a conductor on the local Christmas tree train. He does it every year and has a ball with the kids and parents taking them on the train to cut their own Christmas trees. On his way home tonight he'll pick up some dinner for us, but I'm always interested to hear what everyone is cooking!

What's doin' at your house?

I just started a big pot of turkey chowder, using the last of our Thanksgiving turkey. Our holiday meal was last Sunday and we had turkey, off and on, all week, so today is its swan song.

I browned up lots of onions, celery, carrots, and Yukon gold potatoes, then added some sage, thyme, salt and pepper, along with lots of broth and a generous amount of cubed turkey. I simmered some wild rice earlier and drained it and added that to the pot. I will let it all get happy and add some milk or cream just before serving.

We have plenty of big, fat potato rolls to slather with butter to enjoy with the chowder and will share the last tidbit of the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert.

That should just about do it.

I have some ground beef thawed that will be made into meatloaf. We'll have the requisite mashed taters and salads.

We are walking to a Christmas street fair tonight. Merchants and museums participate, and it will be lots of mulled wine and cookies and a little menudo.

Shrimp cocktail and seared scallops, maybe some tater tots. I'll need to come up with a vegetable.

I think I'll try to copy Katie's chowder - I have all the ingredients, and some are partly prepped already (leftover crudités from Thursday). And I have a third of a baguette in the freezer. Sounds like dinner!

Thinking about dinner. Haven't done anything yet. But we will have lightly steamed asparagus, Kashi 7-grain Pilaf (had a coupon, it was on sale, couldn't resist - not bad!), and ?. The protein is about to be determined. I took a small pork tenderloin from the freezer on Tuesday morning, plopped it right into the fridge with plans on making it for dinner Wednesday...and then got sick. IF it's OK, we'll have that. If not, I have the small butt of ham that was left behind from my ham steak dinner a while back.

And off to check the pork...

001.JPG

My version of Beef Broccoli and steamed white rice

We went to Costco yesterday for our quarterly visit
and I bought some New York Strip steaks, MAN!
So much cheaper than anywhere else!
I was thinking, why am I ONLY grilling the steaks?
Why not use it in other Beef dishes? I'm not using that much meat.
I stuck the steak in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to firm up
and then sliced it real thin, marinaded it in some soy sauce, garlic
and corn starch. Screaming hot pan, let's eat!
This is a first for me, usually I use Chicken for stir fry
and it was delicious!
We go through 1 of those bags of b/s chicken thigh meat
from Costco a month, that's how much chicken we eat,
I tell folks we cluck :):rolleyes::LOL:

I made sweet potato and black bean enchiladas. They looked ugly but tasted good. I need to work on the presentation.

Got home from work late. Doctored a jar of Trader Joe's green curry simmer sauce (the stuff ain't bad!) with some browned onions, garlic, leftover chicken breast, julienned carrot, a tomato that was ready to go south and some dried reconstituted coconut milk made from powder I found/forgot about in my pantry. Over basmati rice.

Many of us here are fans of Trader Joe's, Bookbrat. Some are probably card-carrying members of the Frequent Shopper club. *raises hand*

The tenderloin was fine. I made a smear of Dijon mustard, garlic, sage, salt, and a touch of horseradish. Coated the 'loin before I roasted it at high heat on my CI grill pan. Served it with the pilaf, asparagus, and sauteed a couple of tired apples. It was all good, and almost all gone.

Attachments

• 2014-12-06 21.22.49.jpg
    2014-12-06 21.22.49.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 203
Kaneohegirlinaz

About your Broccoli and Beef mentioned earlier from Costco, sound delicious. Flank steak is what I buy...lightly freeze it, then cut it up into strips and freeze it for multiple broccoli and beef meals.

I use a packet of Asian seasoning made for Broccoli and Beef... I add it at the end after stir frying the broccoli and onions and the marinated beef strips. I cook up some rice with it, naturally. So ya...yum.

Last edited:
We bought a new car yesterday, and decided that since we were already in money spending mode, a night out should be part of the deal as well. I had a few oysters on the half shell, prime rib, and grilled broccoli. Mrs. K had a salad with hanger steak.

We bought a new car yesterday, and decided that since we were already in money spending mode, a night out should be part of the deal as well. I had a few oysters on the half shell, prime rib, and grilled broccoli. Mrs. K had a salad with hanger steak.

Congrats on your new car. The meal sounds pretty good too.

Congrats on your new car. The meal sounds pretty good too.
Thanks. The meal did serve to soften the blow to the wallet.

I don't have a picture of last night's meal, but I suppose I should post a photo of the new family truckster. I guarantee it will never be this clean again. :LOL:

img_1401209_0_7f09db2083fdbfc518d4aed926bf48bb.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom