Saturday 12th November 2011 - What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PattY1 said:
What is "ring bologna"?

It's bologna, about the width of a fifty cent piece, in a sausage style skin. Regular bologna is about 4 inches in diameter. The ring is then formed into a circle. Use it just like regular bologna!

Last edited:
We had homemade pizza. I made an herb crust, then topped it with mozzarella, green bell peppers, onions, fresh mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, ground beef and an Emeril's recipe for the sauce. Boy was it good. And the best part is that there's enough sauce, already in the freezer and dough, frozen now too, that the next pizza will be so easy to put together.

I made some yeager schnitzel with a brown mushroom gravy. It was served with a side of the kraut from the crock and Kathleen's home made egg noodles.

YUM :yum:

BLT's with fries, tater-tots or chips

I changed my mind. That is not unusual. I made meatloaf, roasted new potatoes and mixed vegetables.

img_1070683_0_3b359a775d3525f7dd97d525424e62a3.jpg

i hadn't heard of ring bologna before, either. from dawg's description though, i'm now wondering if ring bologna could be the same thing as knockwurst. knockwurst were smallish, linked sausages that tasted just like bologna, except that they were cooked (boiled or fried) and served hot....

vitauta said:
i hadn't heard of ring bologna before, either. from dawg's description though, i'm now wondering if ring bologna could be the same thing as knockwurst. knockwurst were smallish, linked sausages that tasted just like bologna, except that they were cooked (boiled or fried) and served hot....

Vit, ring bologna is not knockwurst. No links. Although knockwurst could be made in a ring. A C shape, of finely ground, spiced meat, just like regular bologna.

Help me here, Pac.

babetoo said:
ended up with just onion rings. and only ate half of a serving. figure i can eat cereal later if i get hungry. when i finish here at d.c. off to bed.

'night, Babe. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

i viewed pics and descriptions of ring bologna and knockwurst on the internet. omg! in one place, ring bologna is described as being "toilet-seat shaped"!!! still, i came away hungry for some ring bologna or knockwurst....:)

vitauta said:
i viewed pics and descriptions of ring bologna and knockwurst on the internet. omg! in one place, ring bologna is described as being "toilet-seat shaped"!!! still, i came away hungry for some ring bologna or knockwurst....:)

Vit, I can't stop laughing! "toilet seat" perfectly describes the shape of ring bologna! Just something I grew up with, and a midwest staple!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: pics of ring bologna :ROFLMAO:

Vanilla Bean said:
I changed my mind. That is not unusual. I made meatloaf, roasted new potatoes and mixed vegetables.

That looks great, VB!

I made soup w/ hot italian sausage, white beans, onions, leeks, fire roasted tomatoes, potatoes and cabbage. I scarfed down two bowls of it. :pig:

I'm shocked that everyone doesn't know what ring bologna is. It's in every grocery store in the northeast, at the very least.

does it taste any different than regular bologna? does it get sliced any differently because of the shape?

i've heard of it, probably have seen it, but i don't thin i've ever had ring.

Vit, ring bologna is not knockwurst. No links. Although knockwurst could be made in a ring. A C shape, of finely ground, spiced meat, just like regular bologna.

Help me here, Pac.

I went to bed early. After finishing off the ring bologna :LOL:

Tom, it's basically just like bologna, but you slice it much thicker than a slice of bologna, so it adds a different texture to the sandwich. It's good fried, too. And pickled ring bologna is a treat :chef: Just pickle it like you would eggs, but instead of beets add onions. A favorite at deer camp.
And Smiths is the best, but so is all their deli meats.

Attachments

• ringbologna.jpg
    ringbologna.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 57
Dawgluver said:

Help me here, Pac.

Ring bologna is eaten more like pepperoni is eaten. I slice it and take for lunch with crackers

Vanilla Bean said:
That sounds good, though. I haven't made sloppy joes in awhile. I like mine with french fries.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Vanilla Bean. They were good. I usually do fries too but DH wanted potato salad. I am feeling better today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom