Saturday, 2-9-2019 National Pizza Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made two small deep dish pizzas - a white sausage, garlic, and dried mushroom one, and a "puntanesca" version, STS, with sauce, a little garlic (compared to the other!), kalamata olives, anchovies, and both topped with some basil, when served. I only ate a quarter of each, so I didn't use much of that basil I had trimmed:
Trimmed basil by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I hate throwing that away, so I take it to my physical therapy office - I know they like basil!

Here are both of the pizzas, the white one with about 75% of the garlic on it, baked about 15 min.
Pizzas, after first bake by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Set up for second bake by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cheese on, and the mushrooms on the white one, ready for last bake:
Ready for last bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pizza by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ready to eat! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I didn't really notice a better flavor using the artisan flour - I guess all of the other intense flavors sort of mask the flavor of the flour, so I won't do that again.

It was 33F at 6PM, and now it is 36F. So, the Gulf of Mexico is fighting back.

I still didn't want to go outside, so I got a pepperoni pizza delivered. Thin crust, of course.

I only order pizza delivery a couple times a year. I was quite happy with it. Word of advice, order online and tip generously in advance. That pizza arrives minutes after it leaves the oven.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I'm an atheist, but Jesus absolutely got some stuff right.

CD

Pepper, do you ever just dry out your surplus herbal leaves? Then crumble them and put them in a jar?

I take all the celery leaves when I buy the large stalk and place them on a metal pie plate. I put cheesecloth over the plate and then place the whole thing on top of the cabinet which is in direct line of the furnace heat and the blower.

Addie, In my experience, dried basil just isn't anything like the fresh. I only use a few dried herbs - oregano, Mexican oregano, thyme, savory, and bay (this I grow, but use the dried in spice mixes, and use powder in some dishes). Sage is one that I dry when I cut it back - this herb has 2 major flavor components, and one reduces greatly, while the other only reduces slightly, so it is different, but good, when dried. That Syrian oregano (a.k.a. spicy oregano), which I grew this year, I dried, and it seems to have kept its flavor well. I grew this because it tastes mostly like thyme, which is a PITA to strip of the stems! Like regular oregano, it could become an invasive weed, the way it grows! I have it in a container, and in the hydro, where it grew faster than epazote!

Before I started growing basil indoors, I used to grow a large amount outside, then late in the season I would harvest all of it, then wash it, spin it dry, and grind it to a paste with a little neutral oil - like a pesto, but without the garlic and other flavors, so I can just add basil, when I want it. I would freeze this paste - some for regular and some for Thai basil - in small popsicle molds, and when I wanted a basil flavor in something, swish that through a sauce or whatever, until I got the flavor I wanted, then put the popsicle back in the mold. A Thai curry would use an entire popsicle, but most things don't call for a cup of basil!

Addie,

Before I started growing basil indoors, I used to grow a large amount outside, then late in the season I would harvest all of it, then wash it, spin it dry, and grind it to a paste with a little neutral oil - like a pesto, but without the garlic and other flavors, so I can just add basil, when I want it. I would freeze this paste - some for regular and some for Thai basil - in small popsicle molds, and when I wanted a basil flavor in something, swish that through a sauce or whatever, until I got the flavor I wanted, then put the popsicle back in the mold. A Thai curry would use an entire popsicle, but most things don't call for a cup of basil!

That is a wonderful idea.. I don't use a lot of fresh basil anymore but, when I buy some, I lose some.. I will freeze it in this manner now..

Thanks.. :)

Ross

We had chicken breasts stuffed with Sicilian salami and Asiago cheese, breaded and baked..on a bed of noodles in marinara sauce with some roasted eggplant. I was so excited to take and share some photos but there must have been some grease on my phone lens because the photos were all blurry..or..I drank too much wine and I was all blurry..not sure, but judging by my head this morning, it may have been the latter..

Last Night's Air-Fried Tilapia Fillets with an Orange Sauce Drizzle, over Brown Rice, and what Bird's Eye calls a 'Tuscan Blend' of Veggies...
A simple Salad of Lettuce and Plum Grape Tomatoes...

IMG_7203.jpg

Addie, In my experience, dried basil just isn't anything like the fresh. I only use a few dried herbs - oregano, Mexican oregano, thyme, savory, and bay (this I grow, but use the dried in spice mixes, and use powder in some dishes). Sage is one that I dry when I cut it back - this herb has 2 major flavor components, and one reduces greatly, while the other only reduces slightly, so it is different, but good, when dried. That Syrian oregano (a.k.a. spicy oregano), which I grew this year, I dried, and it seems to have kept its flavor well. I grew this because it tastes mostly like thyme, which is a PITA to strip of the stems! Like regular oregano, it could become an invasive weed, the way it grows! I have it in a container, and in the hydro, where it grew faster than epazote!

It's the woody herbs that maintain, and even intensify, flavors when they're dried. I dry bay, oregano, rosemary, thyme and sage. I'm going to look for epazote this spring.

We didn't get to have our priazzo. While bringing it inside from the grill, Craig tripped and fell, and the priazzo went upside down SPLAT! We, in fact, didn't get any dinner yesterday. It was very early this morning before we got to have "dinner." Craig tried to save the priazzo instead of himself and ended up with a bloody head wound, so we went to the ER. No concussion fortunately, but he's not a happy camper today.

We didn't get to have our priazzo. While bringing it inside from the grill, Craig tripped and fell, and the priazzo went upside down SPLAT! We, in fact, didn't get any dinner yesterday. It was very early this morning before we got to have "dinner." Craig tried to save the priazzo instead of himself and ended up with a bloody head wound, so we went to the ER. No concussion fortunately, but he's not a happy camper today.

Bummer on the head wound... Glad he is ok... A bit grumpy is an ok thing..

Ross

Ohmygosh...that's really scary!! :ohmy: Thank goodness it wasn't worse!

Get well soon Craig.

Pepper, that's an unusual way to make Pizza. I've never seen that before. "Learn something new every day".
I sometimes I prebake a pizza crust with olive oil, thin coat of sauce and spices on a pizza pan. Then top prebaked crust with additional sauce, seasonings and toppings placed directly on the heated pizza stone to crisp bottom.

Last edited:

Jeepers! That's a doozy..at least he is in the running for "Top Cooking Injuries"...:( A culinary head wound will be hard to beat..

OUCH! Hope Craig is ok.

Back
Top Bottom