Saturday 6/4/11 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm making another potatoes au gratin for dinner. This time, I snipped off a good handful of fresh thyme to add to the cooking water for the Klondike Rose potatoes and a large sliced onion, then "salted" the water with granulated Beef bullion.

I'll use grated Colby/Jack for the cheese and add 1/3# of browned ground sausage to the mix.

I'll save the liquid and make soup tomorrow.

What are you cooking today?

mmm, those sound good, Z.
I pulled a steak out and was going to make a repeat of last night's dinner, then remembered I had a skirt steak in there and some peppers in the crisper. So fajitas it is. I'll probably grill the veggies, too, but in all honesty I like them sautéed better. The oil holds the seasoning better, IMO. I want to play with fire though.

Oh I'm confused! I thought we had a weekend dinner thread. Lordy I must be tired! That's what happens when you work a weekend. Today was my 7th or 8th shift in a row. I'm a bit confuzzled!

Tonight Ken and I are on our own and I picked up some lovely rib steaks and some crab legs. We are debating what kind of salad to have and I think I will bake a couple of potatoes to go along with as well.

Oh I'm confused! I thought we had a weekend dinner thread. Lordy I must be tired! That's what happens when you work a weekend. Today was my 7th or 8th shift in a row. I'm a bit confuzzled!

Tonight Ken and I are on our own and I picked up some lovely rib steaks and some crab legs. We are debating what kind of salad to have and I think I will bake a couple of potatoes to go along with as well.

Just post in both of them I guess. It's all good. :)

And might I recommend the simple salad?

:ROFLMAO:

Just post in both of them I guess. It's all good. :)

And might I recommend the simple salad?

:ROFLMAO:

Is that ingredients or preparation? :LOL: Honeymoon salad? (Lettuce alone) I don't feel like stuffing anything!

Ken has requested committee salad. And now I can't find the weekend food thread. I give up. I'm going to go heat up the grill and pour a glass of wine!

mmm, those sound good, Z.
I pulled a steak out and was going to make a repeat of last night's dinner, then remembered I had a skirt steak in there and some peppers in the crisper. So fajitas it is. I'll probably grill the veggies, too, but in all honesty I like them sautéed better. The oil holds the seasoning better, IMO. I want to play with fire though.

Mmmm, Frajitas:pig:

It's in the oven covered with foil for 20 minutes then uncovered for 10-15 until the cheese is browned a bit.

I saved the potato water. It tasted sooo good with all that fresh thyme. If I didn't already have so much rice cooked, I'd use it for that, so I guess I'll go with a confetti type soup (MsMofet's).:chef:

I never thought of turning seasoned water used to boil potatoes in into soup, but that makes a lot of sense, Zhizara. After all, it's basically a stock of sorts. My mother used to use that water in her gravy.

Alix, I like that honeymoon salad. I never heard that before. Funny.
So what is the committee salad?

I'm about ready to fire my grill up, too. I'm going to gas it, even though I had wanted to cook that skirt steak over charcoal. No room for the veggies though and I don't feel like messing with two grills tonight. Plus there's the whole emptying ashes and trying to save half burned charcoal... My Ducane will give me the area to heat the tortillas, too.
I've got the veggies marinating in EVOO, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic and Tasty Licks Alcapulco Gold seasoning. Won't be long.

Pretty hot here today. About 100F so dinner was on the grill tonight. Giant hot dogs, potato salad, homemade bread-and-butter pickles, iced tea and cinnamon-zucchini bars for dessert.

We're full and, now that we're inside, we're chillin', too.

Committee salad is from Best of Bridge cookbooks. (They're Canadian, so you might not be able to get the, they're the best books I own!) all the bridge ladies got together and created a salad by committee. Its:

1 head ripped romaine lettuce
toasted almond slivers (LOTS)
3 -4 chopped green onions (or chives)
1 avocado cut into small pieces
1 can mandarin orange slices (I omit these)

Dressing is:

tbsp lemon juice and some zest (about 1/2 a lemon)
tsp sugar (little more if you like)
red wine vinegar
smashed garlic clove
s&p to taste (heavy on the pepper for us)
1/3 cup EVOO

I buzz this with my immersion blender so we have LOTS of garlic flavour. I've also been known to toss in a sprig of dill.

Sloppy Joe and a salad (red and green butter lettuce, sliced mushroom cap, vine tomato, sliced almonds, McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme and homemade buttermilk ranch dressing).

img_1008059_0_ddc4d54757b9e9023ea48592a3427fcb.jpg

A sirloin steak cooked on the grill, salad, beans, and redskin potato salad.

I was going to grill salmon, but the DH (who is very close to being shot) decided he had to return to the city to swap rototillers...so I had yet more leftover radish soup and yet another rhubarb cheddar biscuit.

Sloppy joes, yay! I don't make those often enough.

Can't argue with bridge playing ladies, Alix, lol. That sounds very refreshing.

Committee salad is from Best of Bridge cookbooks. (They're Canadian, so you might not be able to get the, they're the best books I own!) all the bridge ladies got together and created a salad by committee.
Alix, that is one of my favourite BoB recipes.....what am I saying? I have about 100 favourite recipes from those books - oriental meatballs, death to dieter's chicken lasagne, hamburger soup and on and on and.....

The hockey game is on and I am on my own tonight so haven't given dinner much thought yet maybe during the first intermission I might grab a simple salad or a complicated sandwich! :mrgreen:

I grilled some Tbone steaks, kiddo #2 wanted a steak kabob, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and grilled onions. Kiddo #3 had pieces of my stuff plus some fruit and some peas and baby cereal. Chocolate cake for dessert.

Skirt steak rules. It made an awesome fajita.
I may have another for dessert :)

Attachments

• fajitas grilled.jpg
    fajitas grilled.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 171
Alix, that is one of my favourite BoB recipes.....what am I saying? I have about 100 favourite recipes from those books - oriental meatballs, death to dieter's chicken lasagne, hamburger soup and on and on and....

I KNOW! Don't get me started! Most of my favorites are from there (that chicken lasagna is a killer!), or have been modified from those recipes.

Who's winning the game Laurie? I'm not watching.

We were leading after the first period, but I as away from the TV for most of the second period making dinner and now the Bruins are leading 2-1. Needless to say I am not leaving my chair until it is over!

I ended up having a favourite from childhood when I couldn't have tomato sauce - spaghetti with mushroom gravy! I know it isn't diet fare, but I am good all week and figure I can have what I want for one dinner!

Back
Top Bottom