"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Saturday Dinner - 4/15/2017

SIL has to travel on Sunday, so we (Mrs. T., daughter, SIL, and Energizer Bunny (aka grandtoddler)) did Easter dinner today. A very traditional Easter dinner of shrimp on the grill, risotto Milanese, and steamed asparagus, accompanied by dutch oven rosemary and olive oil bread.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH is still funeraling out east, so it's just Beagle and me. Beagle had Iams Lamb and Rice and half a Milkbone teeth thing, and I had cauli cheese soup with a bit of browned Italian sausage.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

We have...leftovers. A smoked chop, an Irish banger, some ham and bean soup, and a mini-quiche. Everything Must Go! Thinking of making a salad, but that's probably as far as I'll get with said salad. I think I'll opt for hot veggies instead, since the gentle rain we're getting right now makes me think I'm chilled.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Master Chef

Leftovers here as well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	26656

Broccoli Rabe or Rapini with Sweet Italian Sausage, Garlic, Wine, Olive oil and some of the pasta cooking water as the "sauce", served atop whole grain Penne Pasta

Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	26657

A HONKIN' big Meatball Sub with homemade Marinara, grated Garna Padano and melted sharp Provolone Cheese.

... now, I dare you to guess who had the Meatball Sub?
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Pirate had three teeth removed today. So he ate on just one side of his mouth. We both had a baked tater. He couldn't eat the skin but did eat the tater insides. And he also had a couple of bites of my baked pork chop with Ah So sauce on it. I had to dice it real small for him. Next week he returns to the dentist to have a back tooth removed from the other side of his mouth. Then he can get a partial.

I am tired. Every time I tried to take a short nap, something would interrupt it. It will be an early night for me. The kitchen is all cleaned up along with the bathroom and my big room. Laundry is done. So hopefully I can sleep in come morning. I don't know if it is my fingers just not working right, or my keyboard. But every time I type a capital T, I miss it. I fail to capitalize the letter. I keep having to go back and check. And then proofread before I hit submit. Very irritating.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

We had orange chicken with red and green peppers, carrots and pea pods over rice.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Meatball sub for 'the king' looks wonderful, kgirl. I had a meatball sub a few nights ago - SO glad I spent an afternoon a few weeks ago making meatballs for the freezer. They sure do come in handy.

Everyone's dinners sound wonderful this evening. Busy day today, so this afternoon's dinner was of the nibble kind. Various cheeses and crackers, deviled egg, pickles, olives, sliced mango and a few strawberries.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't know if it is my fingers just not working right, or my keyboard. But every time I type a capital T, I miss it. I fail to capitalize the letter. I keep having to go back and check. And then proofread before I hit submit. Very irritating.
Addie, I have to check all my posts over and over. I am so dyslexic when I type and no matter how slow and careful I go, I'm always typing things like hte and ot and abkc (for back). I am always editing my posts because I never catch mistakes until I've actually posted and then read it through.

Tonight will just be a tuna melt. I made orange chicken and rice for lunch, thinking I'd have enough to finish it off for supper, but it wasn't that good.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

After making bread and cleaning up the backyard this afternoon, I was beat. So we ordered pizza and I made a couple of nice big salads.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Take out from Macaroni Grill (with a 20% off coupon!). Grilled lamb chops (in a cream sauce) + grilled zucchini, peppers, onion and Parmesan potatoes, side Caesar!

I'm on their email list and I always use their 20% off coupons.

Tonight as often I order take out.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Addie, I have to check all my posts over and over. I am so dyslexic when I type and no matter how slow and careful I go, I'm always typing things like hte and ot and abkc (for back). I am always editing my posts because I never catch mistakes until I've actually posted and then read it through.

Tonight will just be a tuna melt. I made orange chicken and rice for lunch, thinking I'd have enough to finish it off for supper, but it wasn't that good.
I almost always spot my typos... right after I hit the "post" button.

I sometimes have to edit my posts two or three times.

For dinner tonight, just ham and cheese sammies. I have a big cook planned for tomorrow. Something I have never cooked before.

CD
Old 04-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

One thing about the pics here, I like seeing what plates you all use. All your shaped dishes look great. I'm looking to replace my ancient set of glass plates. I prefer plates that don't have an large indentation in the center.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
One thing about the pics here, I like seeing what plates you all use. All your shaped dishes look great. I'm looking to replace my ancient set of glass plates. I prefer plates that don't have an large indentation in the center.
Consider switching to some kind of porcelain plates. They will keep your food warm longer than glass or other materials. You can also warm them before serving, to keep food warm even longer.

I have IKEA 365 plates, bowls, etc. They were cheap, and have been very durable and are porcelain.

CD
Old 04-16-2017, 12:24 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of interesting dinner plates for food pictures, our dinnerware doesn't photograph well but the dollar store has colorful plates for photo's. I like the solid black and red ones I found there.

Anyway, we spent much of the day making German potato salad (my g.ma's recipe), and also the Southwestern black bean and corn salad from Cheryl that we'll be taking for the family Easter dinner tomorrow.
The SC found some Fillet Mignon in the half price bin recently that I wrapped with bacon and defrosted tonight. They were pan fried in my iron skillet to perfectly rare.
What an extraordinary dinner tonight !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...I don't know if it is my fingers just not working right, or my keyboard. But every time I type a capital T, I miss it. I fail to capitalize the letter...
Why are you typing? I thought you had that Dragon Speech software. I bet it can't understand your Boston accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Addie, I have to check all my posts over and over....
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I almost always spot my typos... right after I hit the "post" button...
I'm best friends with the "Preview Post" button. Even then I sometimes don't notice a typo until after I've actually posted a comment!

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:35 AM   #16
Executive Chef

We had some honkin meatball subs too. Craig made Mama Maroni's meatballs with his adjustments. Three meatballs to a hoagie roll and it was stuffed. I made it through 2/3 of mine.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

A couple of cold beers in frosty mugs for me while I fried catfish, hushpuppies and a few home fries. Slaw, and sliced onion on the table. After a long hard day in the yard and garden I went to bed with aching muscles. Getting old is not for sissies. Happy Easter!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #18
Head Chef

This was our lunch, hard boiled egg with toppings and a candy filled paper egg as dessert

Dinner was fully turkey dinner, with gravy, roasties, yorkies and vegs, we ate it while the snow fell and it felt like Christmas. Lemoncurd mousse pie for the non allergic and a peanutchocolate mousse for me as dessert.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

went to a pot luck...Pork & shrimp salad.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm best friends with the "Preview Post" button. Even then I sometimes don't notice a typo until after I've actually posted a comment!
I was Senior Art Director for three different magazines, and we would have five or more people proof every single issue, and it completely boggled my mind when a typo would occasionally still make it to print. Then came the hundreds of emails telling us about the typo.

CD

Tags
dinner