Saturday dinner 7-11-2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I tried a new recipe from the current issue of Southern Living. Like every other recipe of theirs that I've made, it did not disappoint. In addition to our bowls of Corn and Bacon Fettuccine, we had garden salads.

What was your meal?

IMG_20200711_213138073_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I made another bowl of tabbouleh today. That's twice this summer. So Far. And the summer is still young, I used zukes diced this time, no cukes. I hope this means leftovers are less watery tomorrow.

And grilled chicken breasts and thighs. Raspberries and blueberries on vanilla ice cream. Pretty good.

Stirling wanted a relaxed, slow, easy meal. He suggested what Danes call a "cold table". Onto to the table went various kinds of charcuterie, hard cooked eggs, cheddar, feta, various kinds of bread, butter, mayo, seedy Dijon, cream cheese, a crudité plate (just carrot sticks, celery sticks, and radishes), and some sauces to dip the dip the crudités in.

That worked out well. Relaxing and yummy. Yes, there was wine to go with that.

We enjoyed my version of Santorini Tomatofeftede (tomato fritters) along with Deviled Caviar eggs. We thought the combination was delicious, and it was fun to have my Souschef in the kitchen helping me.:in_love: Recipes by request.

Attachments

• P7110020.jpg
    P7110020.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P7110022.jpg
    P7110022.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 65
  • P7110028.jpg
    P7110028.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P7110030.jpg
    P7110030.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
We had air fryer shrimp and curly fries..

Strawberries and cream for dessert..

Ross

Attachments

• Air fryer shrimp and fries.jpg
    Air fryer shrimp and fries.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 70
We enjoyed my version of Santorini Tomatofeftede (tomato fritters) along with Deviled Caviar eggs. We thought the combination was delicious, and it was fun to have my Souschef in the kitchen helping me.:in_love: Recipes by request.

I had to look those tomato fritters up. I could really dig into them.

Oh boy, that looks like real air fryer success Ross! How did you do the shrimp? I also enjoyed the background with the pictures. I'd love to look at them up close.

Thank you.. :)
Both the shrimp and fries were cooked in a rotating basket in the Vortex for 10 minutes @ 400 degrees.. First the shrimp, then the fries.. They came out perfect.. :yum:

I was so excited I forgot to mention/plate the avocado/tomato side and tartar sauce I made.. :ermm:

The photos are of Jeannie and I when we graduated high school (1957), our wedding, kids and grand kids.. :)

Ross

Last edited:
Friday, I made Asian braised pork shoulder in the Instant Pot. We had leftovers tonight, along with steamed jasmine rice, potstickers with homemade dipping sauce, stir-fried veggies, mostly from the garden, and Szechuan pickled green beans, also from the garden.
2020-07-12-12-55-30.jpg

I made the best falafel ever last night… thanks to a misplaced food processor blade. Chickpeas were ready (soaked all night long), so after giving up looking for the blade, I had to figure out what else to use.

I originally settled on the Vitamix, but after opening the cupboard to retrieve the small container, the Kitchenaid Food Grinder attachment was staring me in the face. Now I have never used this thing for anything but meat, but figured "what the heck". I set it up with the fine plate, and added a handful of chickpeas, then a pinch of herbs, then some garlic and onions… and repeat the process several times. The result was a mixture with a much more consistent and desirable texture.

I then added the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, mixed well and chilled for an hour. The balls were easier to form and a good deal more colorful as the grinder extracted more juices from the herbs… even then I was surprised how much more flavorful they were. So this is my go to method from now on, and has me re-thinking this thing for even more stuff.

So for those of you that have one of these, what other things do you use it for?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom