Saturday eats, 01-08-22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Is anyone eating today?

After the power outage, I was able to make the Moroccan fish tagine that I had planned for yesterday.

I used cod today, and upped the hot spicy level a bit. A good,solid dish that I’ll make again. The recipe is from ATK.

Attachments

• ACB3AE85-0A99-4F1F-AEDB-86F6E5FF3BCB.jpg
    ACB3AE85-0A99-4F1F-AEDB-86F6E5FF3BCB.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 89AC4278-9CE5-432A-9171-24FDA7B9DFC1.jpg
    89AC4278-9CE5-432A-9171-24FDA7B9DFC1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BF7B4DB2-0818-4248-9B1F-0DB14F7AA542.jpg
    BF7B4DB2-0818-4248-9B1F-0DB14F7AA542.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 32
Glad to hear that you got your power back, BT!

I made a soup in the Instant Pot today - a Bacon, lentil, barley, mushroom, and butternut soup. I used the bacon only because it was the oldest meat in the freezer, and the only mushrooms were the dried boletus and some frozen duxelles. And a new ingredient this winter from hydro - cutting celery, or leaf celery.
Cutting celery, from hydroponics, 1-8. About 18 inches long. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The darkness of the soup is from the fond of the bacon browning, plus the soaking water from the boletus, which is very dark. The bacon was labeled "ends", and was not very fatty at all. I added some olive oil, to cook the onions and celery stems, then added about 1 tb minced garlic, plus a generous tb of gochugang, to cook for a minute, Then I added the chopped boletus, and the liquid, plus about 1/3 c duxelles. Then I rinsed a half cup each of pearl barley and Puy lentils, and added those, plus some chicken broth, put the lid on the IP, and set it for 15 min, then let it release naturally. Then I removed the lid, tasted for seasonings (nothing at all added), and added the 3 c of diced butternut, plus about 1/4 c masoor dal, to thicken it some. I set it for 3 minutes, then let it release 10 minutes, then released the pressure. Turned out great!
Mushroom, lentil, barley, bacon, and butternut soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those meals look really yummy, guys!

A rough night of broken sleep followed by an exclamation of "WHAT time is it?" threw my day off completely. We muddled along with yesterday's leftover chicken, leftover pasta from a few days earlier (with sauce for Himself, with butter and shaker cheese *shudder* for me), and a relish board of carrots, celery, cukes, and grape tomatoes.

We ordered pizza. Found a place that will give me a wholewheat crust and "build" my own pizza. There aren't a lot of places that will make a pizza with a sauce that doesn't have tomato, or even give me a pizza with no sauce. We used to order from Gino's and they were happy to give me an aglio e olio sauce with any of their pizzas. But, they went out of business early in the pandemic.

Last night's dinner was Pork chops braised with potatoes, onions, fennel & caraway seeds and pork gravy. Not very pretty picture but tastes great.

pork_chops_sauerkraut_010822_IMG_9130.jpg

This is based on the Baked Feta and Grape Tomatoes over Pasta that was a social media craze last year. It's frozen ravioli or tortellini with chicken broth, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, feta and a sauce of olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder and, in my case, za'atar, layered and baked. I would have added canned, drained artichoke hearts if I'd had any. Simple and really tasty. 20220108_195110~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom