Saturday Feb 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
I’ve pulled out a beef roast to thaw and my Mrs is thinking pot roast which I make stock and soup from for the week. So I’ll have beef for most of the week to make meals from.

Usually I stick the herbs to the roast and go low and slow. Today I’m doing the oven instead of slow cooker, etc.

Keeping in mind it will build a soup and half a dozen different meals tell me how you’d do the roast?

We had a large, late breakfast. I baked some frozen croissants and made patties out of the pork I mixed up with spices for breakfast sausage. So, we had eggs with breakfast sausage, croissants, and some fruit salad for brunch. We are still full, so we will probably just have sandwiches for supper.

I'm old school on that, carrots, onions, garlic cloves, maybe celery on the bottom of the pan, with some water to cover bottom of pan. Season. Couple long sliced carrots across the top, those are for serving. 350° covered till she's done. Maybe baste a couple times.

Pull and strain juices. Pull some aside for gravy.

Bake some potatoes for mashed.

I bought fresh haddock fillets with the intention of having them last night. I bought fresh since the wait for the store to fry them for you was 45 minutes. :huh: Lenten fish eaters. :glare: Ended up grabbing pizza instead. Tonight we'll have a meal of "best intentions fish", with broccoli and tater tots. Well, tater tots for Himself since they're a standard with fried fish. I'll be having a small micro-baked potato.

Saturday's Effort ;
Six on the Half-Shell... Surimi Salad...

Baked Chilean Sea Bass, Boiled Lemon Rice, Steamed Sugar Snap Peas...
A nice Chardonnay...

Clams, Middle Neck.jpg

Chilean Sea Bass, Snap Peas, Surimi Salad.jpg

I ended up doing a base layer of celery to hold the roast, lots of herbs to cover everything. Chopped up a carrot and an onion, couple cloves of garlic and a sweet potato. Turned out super soft and delicious.

Collards and dirty rice. Not pretty but really good.

Attachments

• 2020-02-29 19.09.46.jpg
    2020-02-29 19.09.46.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 82
SC brought home more $5 lb. NZ loin lamb chops so I'll be pan frying them tonight. They seem to be a nearly every Fri. special at the local supermarket. Wonder if the special during Lent will be fish.
I was going to bake some spuds but since CG mentioned Tater Tots, I'll do those along with some steamed broccolini.

I made a pan of ham & cheese sliders for lunch we enjoyed with company today.
Dang, they were so good with Hawaiian rolls and all slathered with butter and Everything but the Bagel seasoning before they were baked. :yum:

Geez!
Everybody's Saturday Suppers sound and look SUPER!!! :LOL:

DH hasn't had much of an appetitive of late :huh:
not really sure why, but...

IMG_5510.jpg

I went to Ladies Luncheon yesterday and had a scrumptious
Warm Spinach Salad topped with some Grilled Salmon …

IMG_5514.jpg

… couldn't finish the fish and brought that home … went
perfectly with the Store Bought Sushi I got today over
at the 'green grocery'
:yum:
*belch*
we're both stuffed! We've got 4 pieces of Sushi left for manana

Glad I helped with your supper, Kayelle. ;)

Our supper really hit the spot. I made fresh bread crumbs with a brioche roll, Spice House Lake Shore Drive seasoning, and olive oil; topped the fish with it before baking. The sauteed carrots and snow peas were seasoned with Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkles. The potato and broccoli were topped with Plain Jane butter. So good.
IMG_20200229_205458422.jpg

SC brought home more $5 lb. NZ loin lamb chops so I'll be pan frying them tonight. They seem to be a nearly every Fri. special at the local supermarket. Wonder if the special during Lent will be fish.
I was going to bake some spuds but since CG mentioned Tater Tots, I'll do those along with some steamed broccolini.

I made a pan of ham & cheese sliders for lunch we enjoyed with company today.
Dang, they were so good with Hawaiian rolls and all slathered with butter and Everything but the Bagel seasoning before they were baked. :yum:

I always love using my DeBuyer Eifel Tower 9" steel skillet for a dinner like this. We all know what they say about a happy cook. ;)

Attachments

• P2290040.jpg
    P2290040.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 74
We had a large, late breakfast. I baked some frozen croissants and made patties out of the pork I mixed up with spices for breakfast sausage. So, we had eggs with breakfast sausage, croissants, and some fruit salad for brunch. We are still full, so we will probably just have sandwiches for supper.

I had a BLT for supper.

We had salads with "everything in the fridge." Buttered crackers and a small Corona beer for me..

Jeannie finished the pie and I finished the bread pudding, for desserts..

Ross

Last night we made homemade spaghetti sauce and the kids took turns stirring the pot. This morning I made them waffles before sending them back home with their parents. In between we made snowmen, fed the ducks down by the creek, also filled the bird feeders ( been waiting for them to come over to do this), played make believe games, made popcorn, colored pictures for the refrigerator, and I forget what else. They fell asleep while having a bed time story (thank goodness) and I am poofed out today.

Last night we made homemade spaghetti sauce and the kids took turns stirring the pot. This morning I made them waffles before sending them back home with their parents. In between we made snowmen, fed the ducks down by the creek, also filled the bird feeders ( been waiting for them to come over to do this), played make believe games, made popcorn, colored pictures for the refrigerator, and I forget what else. They fell asleep while having a bed time story (thank goodness) and I am poofed out today.

I am soo, soo happy for you. It sounds like the best day ever. I hope you have many more days like that. I think my 2 grandkids aged 10 years in one month. And those days were gone forever. I hope I am around for the great grandkids.

I put together an Italian skillet dish that turned out really good. I browned Italian sausage, removed it, then sautéed onions, bell peppers, a zucchini, garlic and Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning, and removed that.

Deglazed with white wine and let that reduce, then added a can of diced tomatoes. Cooked them down and crushed them with a potato masher. Meanwhile, I cooked a package of gnocchi. Added back the sausage and veggies and stirred in the gnocchi till everything was heated through. Sprinkled with chopped, pickled banana peppers and served.
20200229_211426.jpg

Back
Top Bottom