Saturday Night Dinner - 11/5/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Local supermarket had fresh tuna on sale for $5.99 / lb. I had them cut two 1" thick steaks off of the slab in the case. Short marinate in pineapple juice / soy sauce / garlic, then grilled to medium rare. Served with pineapple / scallion / sun dried tomato salsa. Baked potato, steamed green beans. Doesn't get much better.

Due the recent uptick in forum threads on chicken soup.
I made chicken soup!
A six lb chicken, roasted, pulled off the bone, chopped. Chicken broth made previously from chicken skin, bones, seasonings, mushrooms, carrots, onions, celery, oregano, basil, sage, s&p, dash of lemon juice at the end.

then I made these stuffed 'dumplings'. They might have a name in some ethic cooking culture, and I'd be happy to have a name for these big lugs.

Filling, 1/3 cup each of cooked bacon pieces, caramelized onions, and cheese spread (cheddar, colby, cream cheese). I put small balls of this filling inside.

The outside of the dumpling was a basic dumpling dough of flour, eggs, baking powder, salt, sage, and then a good amount of potato flakes, all moistened with cool water.
The dumplings were a little bigger than golf balls, cooked in the chicken soup. DH was very pleased.

I made chili, so i'm thinking chili dogs......

img_1486505_0_de720dc44e47663fafc0ca10dd6a73c5.jpg

We went up to help my mom do some work around her house (she's getting it ready to sell) and the three of us went out to dinner afterward. The place is known for seafood. My mom had pan-seared local flounder, I had fried shrimp and DH had mahi tacos. We had house-made bread and yummy salads, too, although I'm always sad when a salad doesn't have cucumbers :( ;) :LOL:

Attachments

• 1478395983786.jpg
    1478395983786.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 167
Cheddar and blue cheese stovie.

It may not be a "real" stovie, but that was the title of the recipe.

Heavenly would be a closer title.:yum:

Attachments

• stovie.jpg
    stovie.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 150
I wondered that too, GG. My Googling produced various sites. Seems like it's the Scots version of hash. Ex-World's-Best-Stovies Recipe - Stuart MacBride

Good looking and sounding suppers tonight. However, GG, are you sure those fish were flounder and mahi? (As you may have guessed, I've already read the fish and seafood section of "Real Food, Fake Food". ;) )

It was College Football Day here in SW Florida - specifically, in our resort unit. After driving around 1500 over four days, neither of us were much interested in getting into the car. I made tossed salad, sauteed chicken breasts that had been sauced with Brianna's French Vinaigrette, and broccoli. Himself made the rolls - which amounted to pulling take-and-bakes from the package, putting them on the baking sheet, and taking them off when they were done. :LOL: To each different talents...

I wondered that too, GG. My Googling produced various sites. Seems like it's the Scots version of hash. Ex-World's-Best-Stovies Recipe - Stuart MacBride

I was curious because it looks and sounds like just cheese ;)

Good looking and sounding suppers tonight. However, GG, are you sure those fish were flounder and mahi? (As you may have guessed, I've already read the fish and seafood section of "Real Food, Fake Food". ;) )

We're as sure as we can be about the flounder; it was whole filets, they're pretty common here and DH has caught them before, so I've cooked the real deal before. I didn't get a good look at the mahi, so all I can say is - I hope so.

You have the book? It sounds interesting, if a bit disconcerting.

What is a stovie?

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/stovies-96155.html

We had a thread on it not too long ago. You posted in it, CG. Stovies sounded good, so I decided to look them up online and found some nice recipes.

This is the recipe I used for mine:

Blue Cheese and Cheddar Stovies - myTaste.co.uk

As I said, it's probably not a real stovie because it didn't use drippings, but it was delicious just the same. Maybe it was closer to to scalloped potatoes or something, but the blue cheese really gave it a kick.

Last edited:
...You have the book? It sounds interesting, if a bit disconcerting.
Yes. Borrowed it from the library about a week before we left on vacation. Reading it slowly between doing vacation "stuff" and napping in the car. (I'm not a lot of help in the driving department sometimes...) I can renew for another three weeks online. Love the modern era!

You're right about the disconcerting. I think the book is making me suspicious about a lot of foods. :ermm: On the other hand, I just might end up getting back to my pre-marriage weight! :LOL:

I did a stew of veal with peas and potatoes - a great favourite in Italy. You can do it with pork shoulder as well:

soffritto of equal quantities of finely chopped onions, carrots and celery. Sage, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf to taste. Add the floured pieces of veal - I cube mine - and add to the pot. Then add a glass of white wine, evaporate off the alcohol, and add the stock - chicken or veal -. Later on add chunks of potatoes about 1 1/2 ins. square, and then the peas. Cook until the meat's tender and all the flavoured have melded together. Very straightforward and great for a cold autumn night.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom