Saturday Night's All Right for Eating! Aug 16, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I get a newsletter from a local restaurant about their weekend specials, and I'm making one of them at home, modified a little according to what I have on hand :chef: Jumbo shrimp sautéed with garden-fresh Roma tomatoes, zucchini, onions, garlic and capers in a white wine-butter-parsley broth, over fettuccine, with pesto-tomato crostini. I don't need a salad with this, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dug a couple of filets mignon out of the freezer. They will be pan roasted to medium rare and served with baked potato and steamed broccoli. I have a nice chilled Sam Adams Boston Lager to wash it all down. Later on, some milk and cookies for my delayed dessert.

It's another beautiful day in the middle of desert... just came back from the pool, so it's going to be a grillin' kinda evening

Hoisin BBQ b/s Chicken thighs
Housemade Cucumber Kim Chee
Steamed White Rice, sticky rice or as folks `round here say, sushi rice with Aloha brand Shoyu and Furikaki

... just a typical plate lunch special
ALOHA

I finally used up the last of the ham and made hashbrown casserole with ham stirred in. We have salads to go with.

Yummy sounding meals, everyone.

I'm trying to use up things from the freezer so I dug out the last of the frozen Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes from last month. Will probably make a throw together gravy, make a salad, and call it good.

Taxlady, Stirling, the DH, and I had a late lunch at the farm. I made my version of this Swiss Chard tart with a whole wheat crust, served it with a tossed salad dressed with EVOO, some of my homemade cherry vinegar, S&P, and a bottle of red wine:

Recipe Details

The leeks and chard were from the garden; the eggs from the girls. And of course the salad ingredients were from the garden. I used Asiago as well as the cheeses in the recipe. Added freshly ground black pepper and dried basil to the crust. I used four large eggs and 300 g of ricotta since I was using a spring form pan instead of a pie pan. Blind baked it for about 10 minutes before filling it. Simple food at the farm, good company.

Last edited:
Going out for pizza and a movie (Expendables 3) tonight.

Taxlady, Stirling, the DH, and I had a late lunch at the farm. I made my version of this Swiss Chard tart with a whole wheat crust, served it with a tossed salad dressed with EVOO, some of my homemade cherry vinegar, S&P, and a bottle of red wine:

Recipe Details

I've actually made that that recipe before and liked it. What did you think?

Last edited:
Going out for pizza and a movie (Expendables 3) tonight.

I've actually made that that recipe before and liked it. What did you think?
This is the third (maybe fourth time) I've made it. I really like it with the whole wheat crust in a spring form pan. The first two times I made it with regular crust.

I tend to like to use rhubarb chard instead of just green chard. I've made it with green onions when I haven't had leeks. I've also added bacon. I like it warm (and cold). It is a TNT recipe.

LCBO Food and Drink has excellent recipes. I have yet to make one that hasn't work or that I haven't liked.

I'll bring the salad GG....sounds delish~~~~

I have some chicken thighs defrosting but that's as far as I've gotten

That worked out well. Chicken thighs browned and cooked in simmered salsa with Mexican rice and black beans with glorified green salad.

img_1380971_0_a47b724bfb76d7962e1872ca43539970.jpg

I tend to like to use rhubarb chard instead of just green chard. I've made it with green onions when I haven't had leeks. I've also added bacon. I like it warm (and cold). It is a TNT recipe.
I agree. I like it warm myself, and I've used rainbow chard -I'm not sure if that's the same as rhubarb chard or not.

Bangers and mash, Ina Garten recipe. The english comfort food discussion called for more research.

Side salad and some marinated celery root from the specialty store. Where I also got some really yummy gourmet ice cream, Eureka Lemon and Marionberry.

Like Cheryl said, good sounding suppers.

My night's entry: a romaine tossed salad, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce (leftover from what I made a couple days ago), long grain and wild rice mix (the lazy part of the meal), and two lovely, hand made crab cakes resting on a bed of mesclun with a side of remoulade. I used Rachel Ray's easy recipe - it was the first one I ran across that did not call for either ketchup or sweet pickle relish. That sauce was good! :yum: Might add a couple of capers to the leftovers and use it on fried fish next week.

Apparently my eyes were WAY bigger than my stomach - half of dinner is waiting for me for tomorrow. I guess Himself is on his own! :LOL:

I agree. I like it warm myself, and I've used rainbow chard -I'm not sure if that's the same as rhubarb chard or not.
The rainbow chard I plant has three colours--the red, the orange-yellow, and the white stemmed chard. I don't know that it really matters...I just prefer the rhubarb chard of the three. Food and Drink also has a recipe for a nice zucchini tart that is similar re: ingredients. I've made that a few times as well. When I haven't had feta, I've used goat cheese.

http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear...e=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=3713

Last edited:
I get a newsletter from a local restaurant about their weekend specials, and I'm making one of them at home, modified a little according to what I have on hand :chef: Jumbo shrimp sautéed with garden-fresh Roma tomatoes, zucchini, onions, garlic and capers in a white wine-butter-parsley broth, over fettuccine, with pesto-tomato crostini. I don't need a salad with this, right? ;)

Last night's dinner - mise en place and plated.

Attachments

• 1408301641404.jpg
    1408301641404.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 1408301663473.jpg
    1408301663473.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 215

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom