Saturday, Nov 1st 2014, Is Anybody Cooking Tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
004.JPG

Made my version of Beef Stroganoff

Had some leftover Sirloin steak from dinner out the other night,
cubed that up
(over done meat, :yuk: ack, but I just couldn't leave it,
figured I could make something with it, right? )
some well browned crimini mushrooms
sauteed sweet onions chunks
some thyme and S&P
housemade brown gravy
butter&parsley'ed wide egg noodles
and a "Dollop of Daisy" on top for me to swirl into my plate
(sans sour cream for Mister K~Couple, he doesn't care for it)

dessert will be Blue Bunny Peppermint Stick Ice Cream later this evening
:yum:

(nothing green with dinner, but that's okay, we had a huge mixed veggie salad for lunch, we got our 5 ;))

We had Finish the Leftover Homemade Soups day. We had our choice of chicken noodle, tomato rice, and chicken and rice with white gravy. Dessert was leftover Halloween candy.

Last edited:
It was a rainy soup & bread day...Leek and potato soup and some getting-old whole wheat buns, halved and toasted with garlic butter and parmesan.

Good looking pics, kgirl and Steve!

I nibbled on leftovers. Nothing much worth mentioning. :) Got home late from spending the afternoon with my grandson, so his momma and daddy could have an afternoon movie date and evening to themselves. :)

We ate like royalty.

We had dinner at a friend's house...the guy who married us and his wife to be exact, who have been my friends for a very, very long time.

There were awesome spicy, heated mixed olive appetizers, a mushroom soup course, followed by a rosemary-flavored roast with onion gravy/sauce, sauteed asparagus with lemon, mashed potatoes gently seasoned with chives, Julia Child's recipe for flaky biscuits slathered with sweet cream butter, spring water (it's a non-alcohol house), and a fantastic variation on traditional banana pudding (you, know the one with vanilla wafers, etc.) for dessert. After dinner coffee and tons and tons of wonderful conversation and so much laughing that my cheeks are sore.

There was another guest there (a lady) and she was awesome and turns out she's a kindred spirit and I can't wait to spend more time with her.

The meal was in celebration of our anniversary and it was so much fun. The perfect combination of good friends, good food and love. What a lovely time!!!

P.S. Even though I'm retired, the meal also resulted in a small design project I can sink my teeth into. That'll be fun. Retirement is good for picking and choosing such endeavors.

Night out
Dinner at Hot Tomato's in Hartford Connecticut
Eggplant Mascarpone
(Fresh eggplant breaded and baked with mascarpone cheese and sliced garden tomatoes, served with sautéed garlic spinach and our house made marinara sauce)

Fleetwood Mac Concert

Then off to visit University of Rhode Island's open house for my Daughter.

Last edited:
larry, you're almost in my neck of the woods. We're about 45 minutes from Hartford.

Katie, it sounds like a delightful night. Did you wear your new, sparkly earrings?

Andy, I thought some of my soup from last night was missing from the refrigerator...:whistling

Ohio State Football was on TV tonight, so I decided to make my riff on the original Quisno sub. Quisno's Sub House was a stone's throw from the Ohio State campus. Also just across the street from my friend Marlene's apartment. Smelled those yummy things, along with their pizza, till 3:00 AM whenever I visited her. Anyway, the original were nothing like the chain version. The chain was started by some former employee of the original. Nowhere near as good. Anyway, along with our lovely sandwiches we finished off the potato salad from earlier in the week.

larry, you're almost in my neck of the woods. We're about 45 minutes from Hartford.

Terrific !!!
So if my daughter decides to go to school in this area I know where to send her for a home cooked meal :ROFLMAO:

Don't think Im stalking you. Over the next few months we will be visiting a few other schools in the area, as well as a convention up in Boston. I feel like Im on the road.

Last edited:
Stuffed and baked acorn squash. Stuffing was homemade Andouille sausage, red bell pepper chunks, onion, mushrooms, with sage, dijon mustard and red wine, then fontina cheese on top.

Last edited:
Nothing. I slept right through until four this morning. And I am still not hungry. I have an appointment with the gastroenterologist tomorrow. I hope he finds what I think my swallowing problem is. That won't solve my eating problem as a whole, but it is a start. Never thought I would look forward to what I am facing. :angel:

I made straccotto - Italian pot roast with reconstituted dried porcini mushrooms and their soaking water, homemade stewed tomatoes, red wine, rosemary and bay leaf, served over polenta with garden-fresh green beans simmered in the sauce while the meat rested. Toasted seasoned Italian bread on the side and leftover Halloween candy for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom