Saturday Oct. 15, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
I baked a batch of Wheat Dinner Rolls and now I am making a pot of Leek and Potato Soup with Ham. I have never had it before. I hope it comes out good.:chef:

Sounds good Patty!!

Shrek got tired of soup, broth and liquids. We started out mushy...corned beef hash and scrambled eggs for us tonight. I don't think he'll be ready for steak anytime soon.

Your soup sounds good Patty....Gosh, it's so late in the day, is nobody cooking today?

We're having soup too, although it's Chinese style. Udon noodles with a broth of chicken stock, spring onions, napa cabbage, slivers of green bell pepper and slivered carrot. I'll pour the broth over the Udon noodles, and top each bowl with hard boiled egg slices and sliced Char Siu pork from last night's dinner. I also have some frozen shrimp egg rolls, I'll pop in the oven.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

edit>>we must have been typing at the same time PF. Hash and eggs sounds good to me too.

Last edited:
Playing around in the kitchen today and made some loaded fries. I used Longaniza sausage, mushrooms, onion, hot pepper, tomato, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce

img_927668_0_f242fdab72ed134daffe35dd295a5521.jpg

Scalloped potatoes, with ham chopped and layered with the potatoes and onions. Spinach for the vegetable.

:)Barbara

Beef and shrimp stir fry. We used up some asparagus, broccoli, snow peas, sliced some carrot and tossed in some water chestnuts. Oh and of course, onions (green and spanish) and garlic. Yummylicious

I'm going to have a little snack of morel and leek Jack cheese with water crackers and green olives.

Dinner was not a success tonight. It was white chili, a new recipe. This recipe's main ingredients were chicken, beans, chicken stock and pepperjack cheese. I love cheese so that's what drew me in to this recipe. The instructions were to just throw it in a pot and heat it up until all the cheese was melted and everything was warmed through. The mixture never came to a boil, and I didn't want it to because of the cheese. Well it didn't seem to matter because the cheese melted from cube form and mixed with the shredded chicken and formed large clumps in the "chili". I had a similar experience making queso dip about a year ago, the cheese just clumped and it wasn't presentable, it reminded me of that. It seems I'm only good at using cheese to make nachos, not incorporated into anything LOL How frustrating! If you have any thoughts as to what went wrong, I'm all ears.

On the bright side, I made a really yummy butternut squash soup for lunch today and a pan of rice crispy treats to munch on all afternoon... so the day wasn't a failure by any means :)

Make the white chili again but leave out the cheese until you have it served, then stir into each individual bowl. Oh, shred the cheese instead of cubing it.

I did not want the residual heat of my brick oven go to waste today so I threw in a couple of slabs of spareribs which I found on sale for $1.59/lb, rubbed them with Menphis rub, while not knowing my wife had a friend of her's cook our 15 lb turkey, Salvadoran style, which we had stashed in our freezer for I have no idea how long, with side fixins' and therefore ending up with a whole lot of food for 5 people this evening. We are having a feast at Park Drive Bar & Grill here in Los Angeles so if any of you are in the area please stop by and I'll feed you.

I did not want the residual heat of my brick oven go to waste today so I threw in a couple of slabs of spareribs which I found on sale for $1.59/lb, rubbed them with Menphis rub, while not knowing my wife had a friend of her's cook our 15 lb turkey, Salvadoran style, which we had stashed in our freezer for I have no idea how long, with side fixins' and therefore ending up with a whole lot of food for 5 people this evening. We are having a feast at Park Drive Bar & Grill here in Los Angeles so if any of you are in the area please stop by and I'll feed you.

On my way!:LOL:

Spaghetti and meatballs here, though I just had marinara - too much meat at my niece's shower (yes Barbara L, I did get to hold the baby and yes, I will send you pictures!). It was a nice quick dinner.

We had leftover roast beef and roasted veg and choice of mashed or baked potatoes. I made myself a "salad concoction" that came out pretty good.

We went to a splendid wedding celebration. It was a formal very elegant evening of dinner, dancing and conversation. Mrs. 40 and I had:
Watercress and Belgian endive salad with raspberry vinaigrette and gorgonzola
Black and Blue Fillet Mignon
Roasted potatoes
Steamed asparagus
Italian wedding cake

A night to remember,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom