Saturday, September 26, 2020, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Angel hair pasta with Italian sausage and spinach. A very quick, 1-pot meal, in that pasta is cooked with everything else. It's a definite make again with a few tweaks. From the New Taste of Home magazine.

Attachments

• 2020-09-26 17.16.18.jpg
    2020-09-26 17.16.18.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 95
Dinner was cast iron pan fried boneless sirloin steak, Bob Evans sour cream and chive mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.

Angel hair pasta with Italian sausage and spinach. A very quick, 1-pot meal, in that pasta is cooked with everything else. It's a definite make again with a few tweaks. From the New Taste of Home magazine.

That sounds interesting. Tell me more.

Cast iron skillet steak tips in a mushroom and onion gravy over egg noodles.

Attachments

• F53F4D13-0C41-4A1F-8B86-F1EA2F4A6A91_1_105_c.jpg
    F53F4D13-0C41-4A1F-8B86-F1EA2F4A6A91_1_105_c.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 71
Himself was down at Fort Hill Farm for stargazing. Unfortunately, a bunch of clouds rolled in and foiled his plans. He called to ask if I wanted him to grab Chinese on his way home. Sure! We're working our way through a Pu-Pu platter for one and a Combo Special #1.
IMG_20200926_202049735.jpg

I got another migraine this morning. It's not horrible. I thought I might be feeling well enough to make supper. I had plans. But, nope, not up for cooking. So, we decided to order out, but from one of the better places. Make this a celebration of the weekend instead of a make-do solution.

We ordered from a local pasta place, called Monza. It was hard finding stuff without tomato sauce or other nightshades (e.g., eggplant). It's also hard to be sure what's in the food in many cases, when ordering online. I understand that, because of social distancing, a lot of the restos are working with minimal staff and they just don't have anyone to spare for phone orders. Anyhoo, we came up with a selection. We got the "butcher board" of cheeses and charcuterie. We got a baby arugula salad (Baby arugula, parmigiano shavings, tomatoes, onions, sweet balsamic reduction, and extra virgin olive oil), but we asked for no tomato. We also got a main dish of chicken mafaldine (Grilled chicken, goat cheese, semi-dried cherry tomatoes, roasted garlic, olive oil). I wasn't sure if I would be able to eat that. Would I be able to pick out the bits of tomato? If not, the butcher's board and salad would make a perfectly nice supper.

We shared all of it. I was able to pick the large pieces of semi-dried cherry tomato out of the chicken dish. It was all of it really, really good. We will definitely do that again. We have yummy leftovers.

I didn't cook much today - finished off some leftovers, which I always have in the fridge, so I will have to cook soon! lol

But I did replenish an ingredient that I always have on the door of the fridge - hot oil! My method is to crush up some Thai peppers - about 2 1/2 oz, or about 1 1/4 cups, and put them in a bowl. Then, in a 3 qt saucepan (a 2 qt might be too small, as this foams up), heat a little over a pint (the bottle is a pint bottle, and the peppers absorb a little of the oil, so I weigh out 17.5 oz) of vegetable oil to 420° - not canola, as this hardens when cold, like olive oil. I then take the pot outside, as even with my commercial style range hood, the fumes can get bad! (Sometimes I'll use the side burner on the grill, if that is uncovered). After putting it on a brick, or something safe for the heat, I dump the crushed peppers in, then run! :LOL: The temperature of the oil is enough to caramelize the peppers, and give the oil a delicious flavor, but not so hot they burn, since it cools, from the peppers cooking. Here are the darkened peppers, still cooking in the oil:
Crushed peppers added to 420 degree oil, for Chinese hot oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

When totally cooled, I strain it first through a fine metal strainer, let that totally drain into the bowl, then I strain it through this ultra-fine strainer. It slows toward the end, but all the oil goes through:
Second straining of the hot oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished hot oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This year, I used all Jyoti peppers - an Indian pepper, much like the Thai peppers I grow, and when I used them in similar dishes, about the same heat, around 60-70k. The good flavor it gave in this was very similar, too, with the caramelizing of the peppers in the oil.

Tomorrow, I will replenish my other go to hot sauce I always keep on the door of the fridge - Nam Pla Prik, which is a bunch of Thai peppers chopped up, put in a jar, and fish sauce added to it, to be permeated by the flavor and heat of the peppers. It can be refilled with fish sauce a few times, but eventually, the peppers need replacing.

As much as I love peppers, I've never been a fan of vinegar based hot sauces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom