Saturday's Dinner - 6/25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Hot Roast Beef over White Toast, Horseradish...
Air Fries, Sliced Beets...........

Sandwich, Hot roast Beef 6-25-22.jpg

Vegetable basmati rice and broccoli with ORANGE SAUCE. MMMMMM is good.
Oat-fruit cookies.

Pot luck at the campground tonight! I'm making Mac & Cheese as it is a favorite of the 12-YO camper. I'll make a salad too. I know there will be smoked tri-tip. Yum! Later, I think ice cream floats...homemade vanilla and birch beer...perfect way to wind down a perfect day!

We weren't particularly hungry. I made tuna salad sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, thin sliced cuke and bacon. Handful of wavy potato chips and chocolate cupcakes from the freezer.

Hey Ginny, that 12-Y-O wouldn't so happen to be Mikey, would it? LOL!

We had a nice assortment of leftovers... and I wasn't in the mood for any of them. While Himself finished up his slice of pizza and the bit of pork with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes, I had a veggie full salad and tuna salad on a brioche bun with L&T.

IMG_20220625_212026817_HDR.jpgIMG_20220625_212903062_HDR.jpg

I had some "duck breast smoked meat". This was the first time I tried it. In Montreal, we have smoked brisket with a blend of spices that gives a recognizable flavour. We call that "smoked meat". That seasoning blend is what "Montreal steak spice" is based on. The duck was delicious and did have that proper Montreal smoked meat flavour, even though it tasted of duck, not beef. I had it on wholewheat toast and had a pickle and coleslaw with it.

Duck breast smoked meat on wholewheat toast a pickle, coleslaw, and a pickle.jpg

I made something with my first okra today! Only 6 of them, cut in half, along with 4 eggplants, diced up, along with a half cup of finely chopped garlic scapes, from the garden.

It was a chole masala, I added these vegetables to, for bulk, and started it last night by soaking 1 1/2 c white chickpeas. This morning I cooked it in the IP, with a couple of teabags. I drained it, saving the liquid, cooled, and refrigerated it.

Yesterday, I also made a new batch of chole masala spice mix, plus a couple of others I was out of. The chole masala has the most ingredients - 19 - so that will save a lot of time in a lot of dishes! This dish was fairly fast to make, once that was prepared, like most of these types of things.

It starts with whole cumin in oil, over medium heat, until crackling some, then the chopped onion and garlic scapes are added. While cooking, the spices are all measured out, plus a little salt, and added, along with the 4 diced up eggplants. I sautéed for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently, then added the water, chickpeas, halved okra, quinoa, and mixed well. I simmered it very low, for 30 minutes. That was it! I had a small bowl, topped with a little cilantro. I'm taking most of it to a friend tomorrow, that has been handling a lot lately, and I know she'll like this.
The chole masala, with some eggplant diced up, and cooking with the onion, garlic scapes, and all the spices. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The chole masala, with the precooked white chickpea added, along with the first 6 okra, halved, plus a half cup of black quinoa. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished chole masala, with eggplant and a small amount of okra added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished chole masala, topped with a little cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We had a big French toast & bacon breakfast with daughter so not too hungry later.

Jeannie made us, delicious, fried egg sandwiches for dinner.

I made us a banana cream pie for our dessert.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom